Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19.5 ft bayliner with a swim platform and im looking to put a gas trolling motor on it, just looking for advice on what size motor would work best. Looking to troll walleye and muskie but i think i can troll the inboard motor for the musky any advice would be cool thanks to all that reply

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would recommend an 6hp or 8hp outboard, since you need to troll between 1-2 MPH for Walleye in most cases.
I had a 18.5 Capri and had a 10hp, which moved to fast for most walleye trolling conditions.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I have a brand new 2004 Merc 5hp 2 stroke with less than 10 hours on it and a plastic 2 or 3 gallon tank with hose if yer interested. We had it on a 12' for one opening day of one duck season. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I had an old 19.5 fiberglass with a cuddy cabin, so it was heavy. Initially I put a 9.9 kicker on it. It was just a little too fast for good trolling. Dropped down to a 6 horse that worked out fine.
The big draw back with the lower h.p. is if you should ever break down in the middle of the lake. It's going to trake quite awhile to get in. If your just concerned w/ walley trolling , 5 or 6 horse should handle it.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
you could always make your own. Mine was a pair of shelve brackets( heavy duty) from lowes and piece of oak from a fireplace mantle.looked good and handled the 9.9 fine. I wasn"t payng $300+ either

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Snowman's motor should work for 1-2 mph. If you want to buy new, I recommend Yamaha T8 and T9.9 high thrust - about $2750.

If you want one for muskie you definitely need a 15hp.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have the Yamaha T8 on my 21 footer and it trolls nice. I can get down to 1 mph with it to troll early season eyes, and run it up to 5 mph for musky. Not sure if they still make them or not but my kicker bracket is actually a bracket that was made by Bayliner for a swim platform. I know they are out there and I know when I got mine they only charged me a few bucks for it. My suggestion is once you get the motor, take it to a knowledgeable marina and see what they recommend. I had a yamaha 15 hp kicker on my boat initially but went to the 8 as the 15 was hard to get down to the slow speeds for walleye. I would also suggest a 4 stroke, less noise, runs cleaner and just sips the gas.

Snowman, is that Merc a long shaft?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
QUOTE(snowman @ Aug 26 2009, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its a longshaft. 18 inches from inside clamp to cavitation plate.

Sorry but $2700+ for a trolling motor is crazy. My merc 9.9 4 stroke didnt cost that much.

Are you selling the merc? If so how much... may have someone who is interested....

·
Registered
103 Posts
yamaha 9.9 high trust is the best in the world well worth 2750.00 i thought i was crazy but it is by far the only motor the pros use for trolling in big waves no waves puch a button to start, trim starts real easy great millage you will never need another motor for 30 years what a motor best money can buy

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm making myself sick even thinking about selling it. But sitting in my garage on a stand does me no good. I have no use for it. $800.00 I know its over NADA but this is no POS.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(limit chaser @ Aug 27 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(EagleLarry @ Aug 26 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you could always make your own. Mine was a pair of shelve brackets( heavy duty) from lowes and piece of oak from a fireplace mantle.looked good and handled the 9.9 fine. I wasn"t payng $300+ eitherdo you experience any rust problem???

Prime it and Paint it with 2 coats of exterior paint. That will hold off corrosion for a few years I would think...although I am not speaking from experience. Also if you know someone in an auto assembly plant if you can get the parts past security they can send it through the electro-coat process and that'll hold you for many many years.

·
Registered
604 Posts
What ever you do, go with a 4 stroke. I have a 9.9 Merc on a 17 1/2 crestliner fishhawk and it's the best setup that I could think of! Do alot of handlining with it and it purrs like a kittin. What ever make you go with make ,sure it's a 2 cylinder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.