Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded last year (after my unit was stolen) to a Lowrance X125, and can not get the transducer in a decent location to keep from loosing the bottom. I have tried for a year to tweak it but have given up. I'd be happy to pay ($$$$) to have my transducer installed correctly (starboard-3M 420 adhesive, SS hardware etc.) AND in optimal location.

I have swapped out the head unit and two transducers and with all combination the results are the same - poor transducer placement. My old Eagle worked fine in the same location the new trans looses the bottom way to often.

PM me if your interested or have someone in mind.

It bugs me so much I don't like even taking the boat out!!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
what kind of boat, where are you trying to mount it, thru hull or on transom. how is it wired, could be getting interference there are a lot of variables.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
QUOTE(castforcash @ Jun 16 2009, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>what kind of boat, where are you trying to mount it, thru hull or on transom. how is it wired, could be getting interference there are a lot of variables.

Cast for Cash is right...It took me almost a year of working with Lowrance(and 3 different head units) to get an X28 unit working right in my bow....I had everything from Software problems to GPS puck problems....
If I were you I would start out temp mounting the transducer on a piece of PVC or someting and see how that works...Do you only lose the bottom in Shallow or weedy water???

·
Registered
49 Posts
Try walleyecentral.com for info or at least miserable company about Lowrance.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Didnt we go through this earlier in the year?

Take a picture of the back of your boat and current transducer installation and post it here.

Then tell us what kind of hull it is. Is it aluminum? Or glass? Stepped transom?

I know what starboard is but what is the 3M adhesive for? (I know what 3M adhesive is, just dont see an application for it here). If you meant 3M sealant (3200 or 4200) then thats different.

You dont NEED starboard to mount a transducer to unless you are planning on changing it, moving it, or removing it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 17 2009, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.ph...=57818&st=0

I found it.

Now move your transducer DOWN to where the red box is on this pic.

View attachment 62701

You are good, I've been tweaking the 'bitch' and troed a second transducer this spring in hopes of find a sweet spot where the old trans worked

Your suggestion is my next move - I hate drilling another set of holes in the hull any time I can avoid it. ..... But it seems I can't.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
You will never geet a good reading unles sthe ducer is at the lowest part (called a stepped transom). When on plane your current location is out of the water (most of the time).

I tried relaying that to you before, but apparently you didnt understand.

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 17 2009, 09:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You will never geet a good reading unles sthe ducer is at the lowest part (called a stepped transom). When on plane your current location is out of the water (most of the time).

I tried relaying that to you before, but apparently you didnt understand.
Wouldn't you also say it's better to give up a little accuracy, and mount it squarely to the bottom of the boat, rather than vertically?

A straight edge also helps in judging how low too.

·
Registered
611 Posts
That part of the transom is under water while fully planned. The transducer never looses contact with the water in that location (unless the boat does as well) it will create a mini rooster tail the entire time. You can see the Bennett trimtab on the right - it is always in the water. It's not a speed low surface area bass machine be any means.

I really think it's the lack of clean water. Maybe to close to the trimtab?

I will try to get a picture while underway full plane

@Away Point - Are you saying the center line of the skimmer inline with the angle of the hull? It would shoot to the side but I agree I am more concerned with run aground then marking fish these days at speed.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Dont mount it at an angle. I say that because you are then going to say how come I cannot mark fish arches....thats a whole different lesson...lol

As for the upper portion of the hull being in the water, yes that maybe true. The trim tab COULD be the problem, but I doubt it. You need CLEAN water with NO TURBULANCE running over the face of the ducer. With the stepped portion (lower) close and the trib tab close I doubt you are getting CLEAN water (no air at all) over the face.

Sonar works great but in CANNOT read through air pr air bubbles or turbulent water.

Proof....idle over something and get a good reading. Throw the engine in reverse and punch it. The bubble of your exhaust will stop the sonar echos from being read.....

Good luck.

I will say for the millionth time on LSCN.....go to www.lowrance.com and run through the tutorials on transducer mounting and sonar operation. It will serve you well in the future. It is how I learned too (but it was in books and on a cassette back in the time before the internet and computers)

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Honestly I would suspect that your problem actually stems from this area.....note the fake spray I put here. I can see this generating a ton of turbulance and adding air to the water, therefore resulting in bad performance of your ducer.

Move it, be done with it.

View attachment 62722

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 17 2009, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Honestly I would suspect that your problem actually stems from this area.....note the fake spray I put here. I can see this generating a ton of turbulance and adding air to the water, therefore resulting in bad performance of your ducer.

Move it, be done with it.

View attachment 62722

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree - I will try @ Away Points sugesstion to angle the trans to see if that fixes it - otherwise the drill and 420 comes out Friday!

·
Registered
73 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 17 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.ph...=57818&st=0

I found it.

View attachment 62701

I have the same boat. My Fish Hawk transducer is placed where your skimmer is. (No need for high speed operation with it) My skimmer is about 6" toward port and right next to the step. And yes, way to high. Place the transducer about 1/4" below the transom (it might throw a little tail, but it will work

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(Shoeman @ Jun 17 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 17 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.ph...=57818&st=0

I found it.

View attachment 62701

I have the same boat. My Fish Hawk transducer is placed where your skimmer is. (No need for high speed operation with it) My skimmer is about 6" toward port and right next to the step. And yes, way to high. Place the transducer about 1/4" below the transom (it might throw a little tail, but it will work

Do you have trimtabs? (if not put some one it makes the Scout 175 a dream!!!)

I will be taking Mini's advice ------on the next placement

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an LCX25c with a transom mounted transducer and I fully agree with Mini! NO ANGLES! I have a stepped hull and have the transducer right next to the first step. It is not at the absolute lowest point but the bottom of the transducer is below the hull. I think you will be fine if you move it. Before I found the right spot for mine, I was having similar issues and believe it was from bubbles, etc interfering with the sonar.

Now grab the drill and suck it up

Good Luck!

QUOTE(kensho @ Jun 17 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Shoeman @ Jun 17 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 17 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>http://www.lakestclair.net/forums/index.ph...=57818&st=0

I found it.

View attachment 62701

Do you have trimtabs? (if not put some one it makes the Scout 175 a dream!!!)

I will be taking Mini's advice ------on the next placement

·
Registered
73 Posts
No tabs. I thought they might get in the way of the downriggers. Do you use them to equalize a load or for hole-shots?

I finally broke down and replaced the original prop with a SS. (1 pitch down) Holy cow! Totally different animal and 20% better at the pump.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts