Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any and all reports from Saturdays tournament. I see who won but would like to hear some stories on the day.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here's my post copied from Bassfishinghomepage.com....

What a Day !!! After blanking in the 1st tourney 2 weeks ago, went from the lowest of low to the highest of high !!

For those of us who fish the BFL in Michigan, David Reault is one of the superstars. Incidentally he also won the Canadian Open last weekend and got a johnboat for his efforts.(21 ft. Triton-LOL) Congrats Dave !! So I knew he'd be on fish, so I was pretty happy from the get go.

After the 1st tourney, I was hoping for one keeper
We headed out to the big pond known as Erie around 6:20am (159 out of 167 boats). First stop, Dave and I pulled up to some rock piles in the West basin. He caught 5 and I caught 3, I was a happy camper when we headed off for the island tour.

Got to see Pelee Island from all sides and many others, must have made 6-8 stops on rock piles trying to cull fish by powerfishing. I cranked up a small keeper and popped my biggest fish on a SOB Rattlin Shad. I had a limit when we settled down by an area around Pelee. From 12:50 pm to 1:35 pm, Dave culled 2 fish and I culled one from a real small area on tubes. Left around 1:40pm and hit 2 rock piles on the way back, Dave culled another fish. Headed for weigh-in and with 4 minutes of fishing time left. Dave pulls up on a waypoint and culls another fish about 1/4 mile from the bridge. Pretty amazing, I figure he gained 5 oz on that cull which put him over Steve Clapper's weight and gave him overall points lead for boater side.

What an experience !! The experience and lessons learned from watching how and why Dave fishes different spots was worth the entry fee. Catching my fish and getting a few dollars was icing on the cake. I must have told Dave "Thanks alot" a 100 times - LOL

I wasn't sure what to expect this year fishing the BFL circuit for the first time. But so far it's been great, meeting alot of people that know me from here. I met "PhilB' this weekend and many others. Next tourney, is the Grand River on Aug. 7, this tourney can make or break a regional spot. Usually that tourney breaks it - LOL

One last thing, the guys who fish LSC/Erie are spoiled rotten - LOL What a great fishery !! If it wasn't for Detroit, I'd move !! LOL

Needless, had a good time and saw a LOT of water.....

Ckev

·
Registered
882 Posts
Finished 38th and moved up to 29th in points.
Will link MadWags Adventure report with complete details soon.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I drew a nice guy from Pennsylvania. We fished out near Pelee isle in the same general location all day. Fishing started slow but between the Sheephead we were catching one here one there. At 11:00 I caught my 4th keeper. I figured we would head back at 1:00, so I had two hours to get one more. One hour goes by nothing. Another 15 minutes still nothing. My partner informs me we will leave at 12:45. In the meantime we were sharing this little stretch with 2 other boats and the fish turn on. I watch at least 10 bass caught between the other 5 anglers and am freaking out that I cant get that last bite. Finally I get a bite and pray it is not a drum. After a couple tense moments I see a nice smallie jump and I start praying, Please stay on. Please stay on. I get it in the net YES! I put it the livewell and look at my watch its 12:39. I weigh in 13.9 and was lucky to cash a check in 12th place.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Way to go Phil B - All-American and Kev. (That Dave is something else.)

MadWags - I'm looking forward to the report. St. Clair was slow again Saturday I know if you made it there. I'm glad you got what you did. A 5th fish at your average would have been 'golden' as Bish would say. (We need to talk before Grand River. Do not let me forget.)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks Dan, it was a great adventure !!

Hey Phil, interesting you got your fish later at Pelee. We didn't start tube fishing around there until 12:45pm. Dave culled 2 and I culled one between 12:45pm and 1:30pm. Not many boats at all then, of course we were in last flight and didn't have to be in until 3:00pm.

I'm sure the Grand will be interesting, friend of mine was paired with a pro that goes to Sturgeon Bay (110 miles one way acorss the lake). Now that would be a fun ride

Anybody made that trip in a bass boat ??

Ckev

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just curious, how deep were you guys fishing at Pelee Island? And were you drifting through the area or trying to sit on specific rock piles? What part of the island has the best fishing? From the map it looks like there is much more structure on the east part. Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The guy I was paired with was power fishing specific rock piles around the whole island and many islands around Pelee.

We drifted tubes through one spot but found the fish in a very small area. Then kept drifting through over and over. Depths were 12-16ft.

Ckev

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Curado Kev @ Jul 12 2004, 02:54 PM)I'm sure the Grand will be interesting, friend of mine was paired with a pro that goes to Sturgeon Bay (110 miles one way acorss the lake). Now that would be a fun ride

Anybody made that trip in a bass boat ??

Ckev
Are you kidding!!!!!!!!! What kind of fool would make that run?? What year did he do that and how did they do? just wondering

·
Registered
166 Posts
Guy told my buddy, if he makes it . It's worth 18 lbs...

I know the guy's name, so I'll keep an eye out for him if it's a calm day.

We'll see if he does it...

Kev

·
Registered
77 Posts
Fished it as a co-angler on sat. Had a great day, had a limit at 9:30 ended up finishing tied for 16th. It moved me up to 17th overall. The grand should be very interresting it could really shake up the top 30, in my opinion. I have had a great time fishing the BFL this year.

Dman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts