Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a night fishing trip for some Walleye, and looking for any tips or suggestions you guys that have night fished may have. I will not be trolling since my boat moves a little to quick. Normally I just cast BB and harnesses and real em in with decent success. So minus the trolling what are your favorite presentations, lure choices, techniques...Do any of you use an underwater light, and if so do you find your fishing more productive. Any advice or tips you may have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have caught walleyes at night around deer gun week casting bombers and countdown raps from shore at night. Always fun if you aren't into deer hunting and less crowded in the better spots. Throw them out as far as you can and reel them slow enough to just keep them moving.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I do all my fishing on the Detroit River at night, from shore however. We do, though, have pretty decent success. Between the two of us, we can average about 1 each a night, which is pretty decent from shore.

Walleye will travel into the shallows at night to feed, sometime REAL shallow. My buddy caught a nice 3lber last night actually in about 2FOW, using a very shallow 1-3ft Rapala. This is not to say they aren't deep (many people limit out in a boat trolling or what not), but don't neglect the shallows, specificallly wind swept shores with some structure (rocks) near deeper water.

I've caught them this summer on the DR on many different cranks (deep, shallow, etc.), as well as casting and retrieving jigs with a Gulp! Alive minnow grub. Like many have said in the past, take it slow with your presentation. I like to crank it kind of fast, the sloooooooow it down real good (suspend lure), and start again slowly.

Since your boat goes to fast to troll or presumably jig, I would suggest drifting along the shore (any breakwalls nearby?) and casting some cranks out there. And, don't forget to try SHALLOW! The calmer the night, the better top waters seem to work, and vice versa. That SEEMS to be my experience. Anything natural colours, or with some blue/orange mixed in works.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I almost exclusively chase eyes at night except for in the spring time when I like to troll a bit. Their is no better time than after dark. No boat traffic and the eyes generally feed better in the dark than the light. This year I have been mainly handlining for them but also whipping. I don't think you will find a better night presentation than the two I have just mentioned. If your boat is to fast for trolling then it may be to fast for handlining but any boat is a good whipping boat as long as you have a good river anchor. Are you familiar with whipping? I know guys that do decent jigging at night as well but it seems that type of night fishing is more specific to certain spots. I personally would rather have my toe nails pulled out then jig anyhow.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
QUOTE(stick em @ Aug 28 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey common now, take it easy on us jiggers.

Nothing against jiggers it is a highly effective way to put eyes in the boat for sure. But it just takes to much concentration for an impatient person such as myself.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
It depends on the depth & cover that you're fishing. My favorite bait for night eyes in lakes has always been a Rapala shad rap in silver/chartreuse (the old color was pearl/chart but it was discontinued). A husky jerk or jointed Rapala minnow are my other go to baits after dark. A soft plastic swimbait on a jighead is also productive. Keep a steady retrieve with any of the lures I listed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did get your PM Shockwave, and thanks for the tip. I plan on fishing on Lake St Clair and didnt have any plans on going farther north just yet, but certainly appreciate the info. I am planning on going out tonight pending the weather, or at the least 2morrow. A few have suggested casting Rap's to be productive, so my plan is to drift two rods with BB and harnesses with crawlers, and while those are in the drink, I'll be doing some casting with various Rap's. As the night progresses, I'll start moving in shallow (hopefully following the Eye's in) and focus just on casting. Thanks for all the tips guys!

·
Registered
583 Posts
QUOTE(RaymondFox @ Aug 28 2009, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I did get your PM Shockwave, and thanks for the tip. I plan on fishing on Lake St Clair and didnt have any plans on going farther north just yet, but certainly appreciate the info. I am planning on going out tonight pending the weather, or at the least 2morrow. A few have suggested casting Rap's to be productive, so my plan is to drift two rods with BB and harnesses with crawlers, and while those are in the drink, I'll be doing some casting with various Rap's. As the night progresses, I'll start moving in shallow (hopefully following the Eye's in) and focus just on casting. Thanks for all the tips guys!

Good luck to ya! From what I've seen this summer, is that the 'Eyes will come in shallow in spurts. Right at dark we may get one, nothing for a while, then after it's been dark for a few hours, the shallow bite picks up. Of course, this is all debatable since all of my fishing is done in shallowish watter from shore, but there definitely seems to be a pattern. Fish can and will be caught in many depths, just don't ignore trying VERY shallow spots. Also, if the wind is out of the North, for example, try shallows on the south shore. Pay attention to active baitfish, even SMALL fish jumping and splashing around. Cast in those spots. If it's calm as f%&^ out, try deeper water, 'cause we've done awful from shore on those nights! LOL
Let us know how you do, and what worked best!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Im planning on making my first night trip Tonight. Ive never fished at night, but to much traffic during the day for weekend fishing, IMO.

Im taking a friend out for the first time (kinda wanna get him into fishing) . So , Im going out to grass island and cast rapalas (silver and black ).

I noticed alot was said about south.

What about this far north?

Also.......drift or anchor?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I dropped the boat in last night around 8pm, and didnt last more than an hour! It was just to choppy and dangerous for me to be out there. I will have to postpone my night trip for another calmer day. I was drifting at a great trolling speed, but like I said too dangerous to be out there without anybody else on the lake.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
When I go out at night I make sure to track my movement on the gps with a trail. There are a few bouy's in the GP area that are barely visible. Following the track back to your origin makes the trip a bit easier to navigate.

Once fall hits, watch out for flocks of ducks. They can be hard to see especially if your traveling with some speed.

It would be a good idea to have your radio on 68. Most of the night fisherman are usually on 68.

Head lamps or cat eyes are always a good idea, I would consider it a must have. A spare is usually useful in case your partner doesn't have one.

Keep your eye our for freighters. They can sneak up on you quickly. In the SCR it is especially hard to see a freighter coming at night due to all the lights on each side of the shore. The freighters do have radar and will turn the spot light and blow the horn if they see your obstructing. Freighter seems to be really active at night so this is important.

Keep a look out for minnows. Lighted areas attract minnows and will attract other fish higher in the food chain.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.