Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most can tell from my past posts, we are looking at moving up from our 1988 270 Sundancer to a 340 Sundancer, probably around a 1985/86. I have a couple of questions as I compare various ones available..........

1. I know the answer can very to this one like the temp. but... For a 1985/1986 340, what would you consider to be excesive hours, over 500, 800, 1100?

2. If you were to go towards the higher end, what would you look for as signs that the engines are getting tired?

3. With twin 454's at 340-350hp each, what is your feeling of a closed cooling system verses an open/draw cooling system?

4. What is meant by a "Imroned hull"?

5. In regards to reputation/serviceability/repair cost/sturdiness, ect... what is your feeling of Crusader vs. Mercruiser engines, with V-drives?

I know someone will post about getting a survey being a must and it is and will be.

Thanks.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Feb 12 2004, 12:48 AM)1. I know the answer can very to this one like the temp. but... For a 1985/1986 340, what would you consider to be excesive hours, over 500, 800, 1100?

I would say 1000 or over you need to have the engines checked out before you make an offer.

2. If you were to go towards the higher end, what would you look for as signs that the engines are getting tired?

If the person wants to sell and they say there are no problems than have a leak down done on them. It will give you a better idea of what condition they are in.

3. With twin 454's at 340-350hp each, what is your feeling of a closed cooling system verses an open/draw cooling system?

Closed is ok, Just a bit more maintance. When you have the enginse looked at have this checked out as well. Hammer should be able to answere this one better.

4. What is meant by a "Imroned hull"?

It is a type of paint.

5. In regards to reputation/serviceability/repair cost/sturdiness, ect... what is your feeling of Crusader vs. Mercruiser engines, with V-drives?

Six of one half dozen of another. In my book it comes down to how well they have been maintained.

·
12,052 Posts
Beachbum has a 1987 and its a lot nice than my friends 1985. Better layout.

The Merc 454's back then are 330hp (actually dyno at 280hp)but are over rated.

I have closed cooling and love it. Back then I dont know that you would find it on a gas motor. Especailly on a searay.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hey Jim, Have you checked out "www.traderonline.com" they have a lot to choose from on that web sight. It's where I found my boat. Whatever you do I'd make the sale contingent on a sea trial if you can. Bring a good mechanic with you when you go out.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have watching boatraderonline.com for sometime now, but THANKS for the lead. It seems that other than perhaps two, all are on the west side of the State. Being that I have a 270 for trade-in, the transportation is going to be a major barginning point. Between getting the 20 there and the 340 back, I can see $$.

Will someone LOCAL with a nice 340, mid 80's, low hours and excellent conditon (radar/plotter, GOS, fish finder would be nice as well) please put your boat up for sale?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
With a boat that old, I'd want both a compression and a leakdown test; you might want an oil analysis as well. Bottom line, though, if you're looking at motors that are 15+ years old with 500-1000 hours on them pushing a big heavy cruiser like that, you'd be wise to budget for top end work at a minimum, and perhaps a complete rebuild/replacement, sooner rather than later.

There are exceptions, to be sure, but even the best maintained engines are going to wear out eventually. Not mention water pumps and other accessories...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts