Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(Jason R @ Feb 4 2010, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd avoid the SeaRayder with the Sportjet 90 in it. Hazy had one and they a notorious for having ignition problems and constantly breaking down.

It's not just SeaRayders that have the sport jet 90 engine with bad ignition and fuel designs, but ALL early jet boats with sport jet 90s. I think they were made from 1993or4 to like 1996or7. Now as of about a year ago, there is a fix through a company called CDI electronics, but it isn't cheap and there are still the fuel problems.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Stick with Sea Doo option!

Inserting an outboard motor powerhead with a maximum RPM rating of 5500 to a jet impeller & reving 6-8,000 all day long.....well, you know the story (grenade)!

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
QUOTE(270 laser @ Feb 4 2010, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I saw one on there yesterday 2000 Yamaha with twin 110 for like $4100 seemed like a good deal?

Funny you mentioned that one...I saw it as well, but when I went back to look at it again it had been flagged for removal.

Later on someone posted an add with a title "2000 Yamaha for $4100 was a scam". The price was too good to be true which on craigslist means it wasnt.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Sea-Doos aren't problem free either. We had a '98 model with twin engines and we had several problems with the impellers. They need to be maintained regularly to be reliable.

Any jet boat or PWC you buy is going to have issues. They just do. Like snowmobiles. Best you can do is find one where the issues are known and can be dealt with relatively easily, and just hope it doesn't break.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
I agree with the sport jet 90hp. Avoid at all cost. Even if they were known to be problem free they are not enough power for this lake.

I bought a 1998 Sea Ray SeaRayder last year and love it. It has the 175hp V6 Merc Sport Jet. It performed awesome last year. It's the same block motor as the recent 240hp with fuel injection. Only thing mechanical I have to do this year is change out the shifter cable. Not that big of a deal. Part cost $100 and my time to install it.

I have a guy down the street from me that has a Sugar Sand 17'. 240hp V6. Beautiful boat. Really fast too. I really wanted to buy it but he was asking $11,500 at the time and I just didn't want to pay that much. Since then (after I bought my SeaRayder) he called me and said he would go down to $9500. Still a bit pricey I think, but I do agree he is throwing in the kitchen sink with it. Life vests, handheld radio, cooler and much more. I "blue booked" it and it said value with trailer between $8000-$9000 at the time I was interested.

Once again, some sound advice above. I didn't want twins in a jet boat. With SeaDoo you will probably be looking at twin Rotax motors. I really wanted Mercury single high hp motor in what ever I bought. I settled for a little smaller boat than I wanted but it is plenty fast and reliable for me so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.