Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im Looking into getting into ice fishing. Mainly Panfishing. I already have the rods, teardrops, good bucket to sit on, good icefishing clothes, and even a scoop. Now I just need to know where I can get a decent hand auger for a reasonable price. One that will cut good holes for panfish. No Job at the time so budget is short. Any help is GREATLY APRECIATED!!!

BassassassinJR

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
From the other post I would say ( mile bp or anglers point) I would give them a call and see who is cheaper don't forget to mention you are a member of lscn

·
Registered
406 Posts
If funds are an issue, I would give Craigslist a look. I found one there earlier this year for $10.00. It's an Eskimo 6" hand auger, just waiting to get out and give it a try.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
From my experience, the only auger worth buying is a Lazer Auger. They'll run you $70-$80 but are well worth it. Mine is 4 years old and still has the original blades. It cuts like butter. If you're like me and chase the fish all day, you need an auger that's easy to use, and the Lazer is the best. I would recommend getting a 6" because a 6" hole will fit most fish through it, and still cuts easily. The replacement blades are also easy to find. The 5" should cut really well, but may be a little small, and the blades are tougher to find. I wouldn't consider an 8". A hole that big is usually not necessary and it's a whole lot more work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Dec 22 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>From my experience, the only auger worth buying is a Lazer Auger. They'll run you $70-$80 but are well worth it. Mine is 4 years old and still has the original blades. It cuts like butter. If you're like me and chase the fish all day, you need an auger that's easy to use, and the Lazer is the best. I would recommend getting a 6" because a 6" hole will fit most fish through it, and still cuts easily. The replacement blades are also easy to find. The 5" should cut really well, but may be a little small, and the blades are tougher to find. I wouldn't consider an 8". A hole that big is usually not necessary and it's a whole lot more work.

I second that. You can get through about 1" of ice per second with a lazer. Definately worth the price.

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(bassassassinJR @ Dec 22 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im Looking into getting into ice fishing. Mainly Panfishing. I already have the rods, teardrops, good bucket to sit on, good icefishing clothes, and even a scoop. Now I just need to know where I can get a decent hand auger for a reasonable price. One that will cut good holes for panfish. No Job at the time so budget is short. Any help is GREATLY APRECIATED!!!

BassassassinJR

YOU ARE BETTER OFF WITH THE STRIKEMASTER LAZER AUGER. MEMBERS PRICE AT MY PLACE IS $75.59 FOR A 5". YOU CAN FIND GOOD DEALS ON CRAIG'S LIST. ALSO GIVE ANGLER'S POINT A CALL, THEY ARE AT THE NORTH END OF THE LAKE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts