Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a person you loved deeply, would you be willing to move to a distant country knowing there would be little chance of seeing your friends or family again?

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
YES.
You will always make new friends and the true ones back here, along with your family, will always be here for you.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
hmmm no.. not unless i knew i could find a job there.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
No, probably not and depends where I am in my life.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
i would have to do some deep soul searching, but i think inevitably the answer would be yes.

·
Registered
517 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Mar 30 2004, 11:58 AM)YES.
You will always make new friends and the true ones back here, along with your family, will always be here for you.
What he said.... but I would like to ad that I would make them sign a contract that if they screwed me over or did something really terrible and I wanted to come home. That they had to pay all expenses to get me home plus punitive damages....

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Why would anyone have to leave the country? What family members would I be leaving? Why would I have to be the one "willing" to live somewhere other than my homeland?

If I was married to someone who had a job that required, and I mean really required, some extended time out of the U.S., then I would consider it. It would have to be financially feasable and our kids would have to be grown or come along.

If our kids were grown, and my wife wanted to follow a lifelong dream in which I could be included without screwing up the who;e thing, I would tag along.

If I had young children, under 18, and this was my girlfriend I was following, I wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't do it if I was just "in love". That's a mandatory starting point for a lifelong relationship, but without a true commitment I wouldn't ditch everything.

None of that is very helpful, I suppose, but it's a pretty sketchy question.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,507 Posts
I tried to do it ...

Several years ago, my "now" Ex-husband decided he wanted to uproot our life and move to South Padre Island so he could be a Charter Fishing Captain.

We sold our beautiful home - he quit his very lucrative job - and off we went...two year old in tow...I cried EVERY DAY because I missed my friends and family. He claimed that he and my son weren't "enough" for me and that THEY SHOULD BE...long story but here I am back in Michigan and now single...it was the beginning of the end of our marriage.

So.....I guess my answer is, "NO."

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
hard one, i am very close with my family.......
depends on if it was true love, and recieved the same way it was given.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah...I probably would.
If I really loved the person.
But I'd definitely have to fly home to see the family at least 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Heck, I did move to a distant country (The Netherlands) away from friends and family and stayed for just over 3 years. And I didn't follow anyone either. Even did it on my own, and didn't know hardly anyone when I got there. It was bit overwhelming at first, but like anything you do, you get out of it what you put into it. I ended up having a blast in ways that I never imagined I would, or could.

4 years later I picked up my life again and moved here to Michigan, again on my own. It's not really that hard, once you realize that your "home" is wherever you are; you take it with you. And you can go back and visit, and folks can come and visit you.

And, I don't have any regrets because I've met so many different people, made so many friends, and experienced so many things that I never would have been able to do. I am a better, richer person for it. For example, I never would have met any LSCNers, never thought it was kewl to raise my glass and yell social!!!!, never woulda had Hammer call me at 3am and yell OPA!,
never woulda been to The Moot, or experienced boating on the Great Lakes. I think you get what I mean.

I say live large and go wherever your heart leads you! Your home will follow you!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I used to say I'd never move out of the country and leave family and friends.....I'm learning to never say never. I think it would be great culturally for me and my family especially for kids to grow up and learn another culture/language that's priceless. If it was only for a couple of years (2-5) definitely. It would give everyone an excuse to travel and visit. It was indefinite that might be a toughy! Life's too short and precious. Friends you can always make family you only got one!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Need I respond to this one???

But I will NEVER EVER EVER move away from my daughters again while they are young!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts