Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if anyone uses low speed reels for crankin. All of my casting reels are 6.3 or 6.1. I just bought a 7' crankin rod and I have read that you are supposed to use low speed reels for crankin. I have not had any problems with the reels I have but this year I bought some deeper cranks than I normally use and I dont want my shoulder to fall off. With the longer rod and bigger lips on the cranks should I go to a slower reel?. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have dropped down to some 5 to 1's but not any lower. I have the same theroy about reels that i do outboards. You can always slow down a fast item but you are limited to how much you can speed a slow one.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
the Garcia c3 is 5 .3 the Shimono 300 is like a 4.1 or slower. With those 6.3s you will get those big lip lures down fast and deep. I like slower cranks myself for running crank baits. Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Muskie BobSr, I have an old (10yrs?) Ambassadeur 4600-C3. Would that reel be the 5.3 you were talking about?. It does not have the gear ratio on the side?. I could always buy another reel also. Good excuse to go to Bass Pro shops.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
yes thats one of them

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you guys feel the slower reel does not wear you out as fast with the deeper cranks or is that a ploy to get you to buy more reels?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm a pretty regular crankbaiter on LSC. For me it's not so much about getting wore out with the faster reels, it's that I like the feel of the bait with the slower reels while cranking. I prefer my Abu C3 to my C4 or CB for larger, deeper baits. I like the C4 or CB (6.3:1) for smaller, shallow baits that run tighter. In other words, the wider the wobble, the slower the reel. When you throw Super Shads, for example, the slower reels go well with 'em, like ham and eggs. Rattle Traps in the smaller sizes go well with the faster reels, on the other hand.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
OK Mike. Those super shads work on any reel. as long as you change the hooks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi Bob. That was such a good tip, thanks again. It helped my old rattle traps, too, by the way. Stay well and Mark and I will see you soon. We want to go out early after pike with fly rods, if you're willing.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
and able

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's some fish Bob!!!.....guess I will put the C-3 on my new rod and get one to replace it for my top water rod. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Chewy, Hold on to your wallet just yet , you may want to check out the Shimano Chronarch 3.8 to1 its a awsome reel at a decent price. I have one paired up with my G.Loomis CBR 845 medium heavy crankbait rod and for those big lipped baits, it really works well. You can also use it for slow rolling spinnerbaits. Its true you can slow down a faster retrieve reel but it can be hard to remember to keep it slowed down. Also that slower ratio won't wear you out as fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts