Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is most likely not the place to post this, but.... Does anybody know anything about the Lowrance Global Map 2000. I see one on Ebay and I might buy it. I currently have a Lowrance handheld with the software. How does this compare?

Dan

·
Registered
47 Posts
The Global Map 2000 is a good unit but it is really old technology right now. You will have to make sure that it comes with a SAM module so that the sonar will work and a map reader to read C-Map cartridges which is how it maps. The C-Map cartridges are expensive and the 2000 doesn't take the new C-Map NT cartridges so you'd better look around before you buy to make sure you can get a map for the lakes you want. There are also limited parts available if the receiver antenna is no longer good.
For what it is worth, I would look more in line with a new 320 which you can upgrade software on and it also takes the Navionics map chips. The newer units that use MMC (or SD) cards are better in that they are basically computers and when Lowrance makes improvements the downloads are available free from their website, just like upgrading Windows, only cheaper. My advice would be to save a little longer and buy the new technology. This is from someone with a Global Map 2000 as well as a handheld Global Nav (both take the C-Maps) and I now use an X-15. Hope this helps. Brad

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use a Global Map 2000........it has saved me many times on new lakes and finding my areas to fish- fog, rain, etc.....it isnt as easy to use as the newer ones and the information you have already received is very accurate....I will say this, I dont use the C-map cartridges and I can still pick up any lake or area I am in minus any topo features.......good luck!! Can you provide me with any help on the Detroit River? Thanks!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
On my previous boat I had the 2000. Overall, great unit but like has been said it is getting "old" compared to the newer ones. One of the reasons I bought it (in 97) was that with the SAM module the unit had lower watts. Basically, unlike the high power units it would not loose the bottom in shallow water.

Biggest complaint with the units is that you can't download waypoints to a computer. You have to copy them to paper and input them back in by hand. The newer units with the small screen, such as the 320 I don't care for. One of the features I really liked from the 2000 was the large display. You could put the sonar and map up and still have both fairly large.

One other item is that from what I have heard Lowrance doesn't service those units anymore.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Two other comments, in addition to the SAM module you need to make sure that the map reader is there. I believe that the original SAM (Sonar Access Module) didn't support temperature. The SAM-II modules do support adding a single temperature reading.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts