Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by the boat on my way to Cabelas Sunday AM only to find out that my older Lowrance GPS/Fishfinder was stolen
I know it was my [email protected]#* fault for leaving it on. It could have been worse that was the only thing they took. While down at Cabelas I started to look at the new Lowrance HDS models with the 7 & 8 inch screen. Let me just say they are not giving those away!!
Any info on these models would be great and are they really worth that kind of money.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have no experience with the new HD models...I have 2 X28cs on my Bass Cat......

I have been very dissappointed with the quality control at Lowrance..It has taken me over a year and 4 different units to get my system working correctly...I believe if it wasn't for Linda Colt at Lowrance I would have been in big trouble with my purchase..She has been great, but that still doesn't fix the root of the problem...
I have heard that owners are struggling with the new HD systems also...but that is only second hand information..

If I had to do it all over again I would consider another brand.....Obviously that is just my opinion..

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I'm a Lowrance guy, with two on my boat. But I'm thinking about doing the SI upgrade over the winter. I gotta be honest, I'm thinking about Humminbird. I've watched Lowrance QC decline too and it just seems like there's one issue after another with them, and then besides Linda, issues with customer service. I don't hear those stories with the same frequency with HB. And yeah, there may be more Lowrance owners, and thus more problems. But at a glance, it just seems like Lowrance QC is on it's way down and HB is on it's way up.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
My Dad has (2) X28s and I know that although he gave $1000 for each of them, he wouldn't take a million dollars for them - he loves them that much.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Folks remember that on the internet all you will read (except little guys post) is the bad stuff.

I havent had a single problem with any Lowrance product in 15 years that I havent brought on myself. And those were broken transducers or pinched wires.

Lowrance is number one for a reason. I would also venture to guess that half the problems are with people that dont read the instruction and installation manual.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I'm not bashing Lowrance. Like I said, I'm a Lowrance guy. What scares me are all the post where the guy can't get a reading and Lowrance recommends dowloading an update, and then it works worse after he does that. Then he was to unload the download to get it back to where it used to be. I've also, as I'm sure you have, heard the horror stories of calling them every day for a week and holding for an hour and still not getting through to anyone. Linda is apparently awesome, but it sounds like she's about it. I've had great luck with mine. I'm just saying I think if I do upgrade to something SI, I'd probably go with HB as they've been out for a few years and Lowrance is still getting their's to market. And as I understand it, it'll be available as an "update" to the current model HDS and not entirely hardwired initially. Is that accurate? Just going off what I've read at BBC and M1st. (That's muskiefirst to you bass guys.
)

I like Lowrance. But I know I'm not the only one who's seen, shall we say...changes in recent years. Several of my buddies who guide or charter and use Lowrance have told me when their Lowrance go or it's time to upgrade, they're strongly considering HB.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jul 28 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Folks remember that on the internet all you will read (except little guys post) is the bad stuff.

I havent had a single problem with any Lowrance product in 15 years that I havent brought on myself. And those were broken transducers or pinched wires.

Lowrance is number one for a reason. I would also venture to guess that half the problems are with people that dont read the instruction and installation manual.

Mini...The last 2 units I sent back to Lowrance I asked Linda Colt to hook them up in her personal boat to see if she had the same issues...She did...So that kind of ruled out problems with my system or setup....I finally got a good working unit last fall and haven't had any issue since....With no change in my setup or procedures so obviously it was a head unit issue...Most of the problems seem to be software....
If I really would have wanted to pile on and bash Lowrance I would have mentioned how my fellow club member that made the 09 BASS State team bought a Lowrance as part of the "State Teams" discount,,He spent around 2 grand on a 100 series big screen unit and has had to send it back to Lowrance already..I also fish with a guy that is running a HB at the console and a Lowrance at the bow becuse he pretty much has given up trying to get his X series running right. He is saving his money to get a HB for the bow so he can link them...
I am not going to reccommend a brand that has caused me some heartache...I posted exactly what my issues were and they were fact without any exploitation...If I was going to buy another system for my rig, I would look hard at other brands.....I bought Lowrance based on their name and was pretty dissappointed and have heard some ramp talk along the same lines....I am not trying to bash a company just stating my experience....Linda Colt is awesome and as long as she is at Lowrance end users will probably be alright, but if she leaves god help us all....

My 2 X28s have worked fine for almost a year, but I am keeping my fingers crossed....

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
QUOTE(pikescale @ Jul 29 2009, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a LMS 337.

Antenna module went first and two years later the fish finder won't mark fish. Issues galore..

Raymarine C80 here I come.

Take a look at Garmin also...I really like their software....I don't know much about their durability though so I would need to spend some time researching that part of it....

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 28 2009, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not bashing Lowrance. Like I said, I'm a Lowrance guy. What scares me are all the post where the guy can't get a reading and Lowrance recommends dowloading an update, and then it works worse after he does that. Then he was to unload the download to get it back to where it used to be. I've also, as I'm sure you have, heard the horror stories of calling them every day for a week and holding for an hour and still not getting through to anyone. Linda is apparently awesome, but it sounds like she's about it. I've had great luck with mine. I'm just saying I think if I do upgrade to something SI, I'd probably go with HB as they've been out for a few years and Lowrance is still getting their's to market. And as I understand it, it'll be available as an "update" to the current model HDS and not entirely hardwired initially. Is that accurate? Just going off what I've read at BBC and M1st. (That's muskiefirst to you bass guys.
)

I like Lowrance. But I know I'm not the only one who's seen, shall we say...changes in recent years. Several of my buddies who guide or charter and use Lowrance have told me when their Lowrance go or it's time to upgrade, they're strongly considering HB.

These days updates are part of the business. Unless you get a version you are happy with, then there is no need for an update. But from a Tech Support viewpoint that is one of the first things you must do. If you read the manual it clearly states that updates may be needed, and it is something that should be done BEFORE contacting customer service.

The Side Scan capabilities of the HDS units are both an update to the software AND a hardware (box) update. Just as the broadband sonar is an update to the X28HD units and up. The HDS has the broadband sonar built in.

QUOTE(motocross269 @ Jul 29 2009, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Mini @ Jul 28 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Folks remember that on the internet all you will read (except little guys post) is the bad stuff.

Mini...The last 2 units I sent back to Lowrance I asked Linda Colt to hook them up in her personal boat to see if she had the same issues...She did...So that kind of ruled out problems with my system or setup....I finally got a good working unit last fall and haven't had any issue since....With no change in my setup or procedures so obviously it was a head unit issue...Most of the problems seem to be software....
If I really would have wanted to pile on and bash Lowrance I would have mentioned how my fellow club member that made the 09 BASS State team bought a Lowrance as part of the "State Teams" discount,,He spent around 2 grand on a 100 series big screen unit and has had to send it back to Lowrance already..I also fish with a guy that is running a HB at the console and a Lowrance at the bow becuse he pretty much has given up trying to get his X series running right. He is saving his money to get a HB for the bow so he can link them...
I am not going to reccommend a brand that has caused me some heartache...I posted exactly what my issues were and they were fact without any exploitation...If I was going to buy another system for my rig, I would look hard at other brands.....I bought Lowrance based on their name and was pretty dissappointed and have heard some ramp talk along the same lines....I am not trying to bash a company just stating my experience....Linda Colt is awesome and as long as she is at Lowrance end users will probably be alright, but if she leaves god help us all....

My 2 X28s have worked fine for almost a year, but I am keeping my fingers crossed....

Moto....I understand. But you have to admit that many people have been completely satisfied with Lowrance too, they just dont post or talk about it as much as the people having problems.

I do know some people with issues too. As a matter of fact a fellow tournament angler came to the ramp before our Tuesday Night deal and I tested his GPS module on my system. Yep, it was bad.

I will admit to hearing more talk about problems since Lowrance was purchased a few years back. But I have fixed (and know of others that have been fixed) by simply showing people the manual and a few simple tips (like the old fuse holders...)

Humminbird makes a nice unit, especially the SI....but they still cannot compete with Lowrance's 2D sonar and arent even close to the broadband.

I also find it funny that people go out and buy the latest and greatest high tech devices and have not a clue as to how to use them....I am not saying this is the case with either of you guys....but there are plenty that want the BIG screen and all the bells and whistles, yet do not even scratch the surface of what the unit is capable of because they havent read the manual.

But of course this is all my opinion, and we all know what that is worth. Especially from a guy that pompous and belittleing.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I agree with your comment about people spending money on equipment, but not spending the time on the water to learn how to use it properly...It kind of reminds me of guys I know in Golf that buy all of the latest and greatest but can't hit the ball worth a damn....trying to buy a good game...
My Lowrance units have worked great over the last year so it was just that initial impression I guess....I sure as heck don't know where I would be without them on the water.....I have spent an awful lot of hours over the last few weeks staring at them.......

·
Registered
183 Posts
Was looking to get my first gps for my boat. what would you folks recomend looking at. Dont want to break the bank, but one that will be usefull, be able to mark a spot so i can come back to it. was looking at[Garmin GPSMAP 430 ] . Was just wondering what you thought of it or had any ideas.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If your not computer savvy and/or have no desire to read the manual forget it. I'm not much of a computer guy but I keep reading the manual. Every time before I go out I pick something & start pushing buttons. If you think you can plug it in & read a few pages and make it work to its full capabilities - good luck (similar to what Mini said) theres still lots of stuff for me at my own pace to learn this season. Reading, pages, menus, sub-menus, add-on chips and installation thats the hard part, the good part is it works great I've had no problems with this HDS-8 unit. It has a ton of great features (big screen, sonar, gps, radar). This is the 3rd unit I've ever owned & the technology is incredible compared to the old ones. I like my unit! My advice is do your homework on the internet (Lakeside has printed brochures) and go to several stores with large screen units and play with the exact unit your interested in.

·
Registered
183 Posts
QUOTE(lance1161 @ Jul 29 2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If your not computer savvy and/or have no desire to read the manual forget it. I'm not much of a computer guy but I keep reading the manual. Every time before I go out I pick something & start pushing buttons. If you think you can plug it in & read a few pages and make it work to its full capabilities - good luck (similar to what Mini said) theres still lots of stuff for me at my own pace to learn this season. Reading, pages, menus, sub-menus, add-on chips and installation thats the hard part, the good part is it works great I've had no problems with this HDS-8 unit. It has a ton of great features (big screen, sonar, gps, radar). This is the 3rd unit I've ever owned & the technology is incredible compared to the old ones. I like my unit! My advice is do your homework on the internet (Lakeside has printed brochures) and go to several stores with large screen units and play with the exact unit your interested in.

Thanks maybe they just need to make the software so i can put it in a laptop. lol
What school teaches gps 101
. Yea sounds like a lot to learn about them. Thankyou.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jul 29 2009, 07:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But of course this is all my opinion, and we all know what that is worth. Especially from a guy that pompous and belittleing.

Don't forget you're an a$$ too.

I think one of the biggest things about modern day units is that guys still want to treat them like the flashers they had on their Phantoms back in 84. They want plug and play like you have on a laptop nowadays. They don't realize that these units have more computing ability than a Comodore 686. They're little computers that you have to set up, maintain and operate. They're not autonomous. That's why alot of fishing and outdoor stores, and the winter shows actually have seminars on how to use these things.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My .02 is to consider what you will use it for. I used to own a Lowrance but bought a Humminbird earlier this year. For my needs, the Lowrance interface is too complex. I looked and played with the HD at BassPro...what would require going through 2 or 3 levels of menus on the Lowrance could be done with a single button press on the Humminbird. Not talking big stuff here, just switching between GPS and Sonar views.

Perhaps I didn't give the unit the proper attention and time I should have, but it was enough to turn me off. When I'm on the water bouncing around and need to switch it up, ease and of use is #1 for me.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
QUOTE(joemama @ Jul 29 2009, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(lance1161 @ Jul 29 2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If your not computer savvy and/or have no desire to read the manual forget it. I'm not much of a computer guy but I keep reading the manual. Every time before I go out I pick something & start pushing buttons. If you think you can plug it in & read a few pages and make it work to its full capabilities - good luck (similar to what Mini said) theres still lots of stuff for me at my own pace to learn this season. Reading, pages, menus, sub-menus, add-on chips and installation thats the hard part, the good part is it works great I've had no problems with this HDS-8 unit. It has a ton of great features (big screen, sonar, gps, radar). This is the 3rd unit I've ever owned & the technology is incredible compared to the old ones. I like my unit! My advice is do your homework on the internet (Lakeside has printed brochures) and go to several stores with large screen units and play with the exact unit your interested in.

Thanks maybe they just need to make the software so i can put it in a laptop. lol

You can go to the Lowrance website and down load simulators to your computer that will run just like the Lowrance unit that you purchased on your home computer..It is actually pretty cool to play with and they have pretty much all units there...(Old and new)

See Mini I did do my homework......

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(motocross269 @ Jul 29 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(joemama @ Jul 29 2009, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(lance1161 @ Jul 29 2009, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If your not computer savvy and/or have no desire to read the manual forget it. I'm not much of a computer guy but I keep reading the manual. Every time before I go out I pick something & start pushing buttons. If you think you can plug it in & read a few pages and make it work to its full capabilities - good luck (similar to what Mini said) theres still lots of stuff for me at my own pace to learn this season. Reading, pages, menus, sub-menus, add-on chips and installation thats the hard part, the good part is it works great I've had no problems with this HDS-8 unit. It has a ton of great features (big screen, sonar, gps, radar). This is the 3rd unit I've ever owned & the technology is incredible compared to the old ones. I like my unit! My advice is do your homework on the internet (Lakeside has printed brochures) and go to several stores with large screen units and play with the exact unit your interested in.

You can go to the Lowrance website and down load simulators to your computer that will run just like the Lowrance unit that you purchased on your home computer..It is actually pretty cool to play with and they have pretty much all units there...(Old and new)

See Mini I did do my homework......

Gold Star for you!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.