Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I was getting around to installing the unit on the boat today, I figured that I would download the software update (2.7.0) from Lowrance. One problem, I you are using the Navonics chips (at least the XL chips) the software will not read the data.

Don't know if this problem is with the HotSpots chips as well, but you may want to keep you 2.5.0 version for a while till the verdict is out. Lowrance said they have been getting a number of calls on for both the X15/x16's with this problem and their software people are looking on it.

Anyone have the 2.5.0 version? I need to get that back and upgrade down to it. Lowrance said it may toast the unit, but they would replace it under warranty so what the heck.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(boatnfish @ Apr 25 2003, 11:47 AM)Since I was getting around to installing the unit on the boat today, I figured that I would download the software update (2.7.0) from Lowrance. One problem, I you are using the Navonics chips (at least the XL chips) the software will not read the data.

Don't know if this problem is with the HotSpots chips as well, but you may want to keep you 2.5.0 version for a while till the verdict is out. Lowrance said they have been getting a number of calls on for both the X15/x16's with this problem and their software people are looking on it.

Anyone have the 2.5.0 version? I need to get that back and upgrade down to it. Lowrance said it may toast the unit, but they would replace it under warranty so what the heck.
Email me, I think I saved it on my hard drive.

Mini

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The latest is, well todays story at least.

Navonics used a different MMC chip supplier and those chips are having trouble being read on units such as the LMS-160/240/320 and not the LMS 15/16's. The chip is royal blue in color and NOT made by San Disc. If you have problems with this call Navonics and they are replacing the chips.

Navonics says that the problem in my case is not in the chip, but the lowrance unit. Lowrance says that they are experiencing problems with navonics chips in some LMS15/16's and replacing the chips does fix it. So, while I had one on the phone I decided to get a conference call between the two companies to discuss and come to a resultion with everyone.

Navonics authorized the store where I bought the chip to exchange it for another one, but also suggested that I try it in one of the units in there store. Lowrance will expediate sevice and FedEx my unit should it need to come in.

If anyone has one of the 'bad' chips you may want to get with Navonics to get it replaced while this program is going on just in case you replace your unit or want to sell the chip.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The latest is, it turned out to be the Navonics chip as the problem. Althrough Lowrance says that they have been getting problems reported with the software as well.

On my way home from up north over the weekend stopped by Bass Pro and exchanged the chip for a new one. The new chip is now the 'other' manufacture which doesn't work in the 240/320, etc. units. It does work in the x15/16/18/19's. I tried it in the store before I left.

So, navonics will have to replace it, but it will be at my convience as it will work in the unit I have today.

If you are buying a chip from any store, I would recommend that you try the chip in the model you have to make sure that it will work. All of the chips that BassPro had Sunday were the newer ones that don't work in the LMS-240 size units.

And yes, Lowrance and Navonics are still argueing as to who the problem is with, but Navonics will replace it for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.