Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished with Basstrap today on his Ranger and we had some fun. Rough morning running to the south end of the lake (Canadian water). Fished in 12-15 fow and did well on tubes (shhhh!
) and drop shots. Had a stretch of fish that were ON and we did well, got out of them and we didnt do squat.

Headed into 4-6 fow and had 2 hits on a jerkbait and 4 on a spinnerbait. NONE landed. They were slapping it....noticed the storm rolling in and we headed for the Clinton launch as fast as the water would let us. Outran the storm and get it on the trailer before the heavy rains and wind hit......it was actually fun. Been a while since that has happened to me

Anyway the drop shot bait (XPS Drop Shot Minnow, 3/8 oz XPS Tungsten weight and a #2 Mustad Mega Light hook texas rigged) was getting munched pretty good. Didnt see a whole bunch of fish caught (there were other boats around) but I thought we got them pretty good. Biggest fish was near 3 pounds, toal weight juat over 13 pounds.....not great, but I sure needed it! Thanks Joe for the day on the lake

Mini

·
Registered
1 Posts
A buddy and I will be coming up for a vacation starting Friday - Tuesday and would like some info. on the smallmouth fishing.

Any locations that we could check? Is dragging and droppshotting the best right now? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Head to the mile roads and drag tubes....start out in 9-10 FOW and move out deeper if you're not catching any.

It's a BIIIIIG lake, but you can always count on that area to produce a few.

Good luck, and let us know how you did.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Il Bassin, Dropshotting is illegal in Michigan waters. I would hate to see you get a citation. Mini was fishing Ontario waters when he was dropshotting so it must be legal in Canadian waters of StClair. Good luck and make sure to post your results.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Having a hook tied on the line above the weight on the bottom, the hook is tied in such a fashion so that it stands perpendicular from the line from that you can nose hook a worm, tube, lizard, etc.

Hey Mini, is it effective to "drop-shot drift-n-drag" or is it more effective if you are sitting still on structure such as a rock pile.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont like to drift a drop shot.....i feel it is more effective when still fishing.

Yes I was in Canada while fishing during this report.

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Vertical is better for drop shotting.

Made it out last night as well. She was rolling pretty good. Zero'ed on the main lake. Checking some stuff that should be on right now in deeper water for tournie this weekend but the conditions still are not right. Fished the river for a bit as well and and lost 2 in 20 FOW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts