18,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use in your car ?
I always preferred castrol gtx when i changed my own oil,
but have been using penzoil as of late in the instant oil change shops

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
AMSOIL!!! I have almost 300,000 miles on my truck and its still running fine. If you don't want to find an Amsoil dealer that's ok, just make sure you use a synthetic or at least a blend. I build prototype engines for Ford and conventional oil is a thing of the past. Our 2004, 2005, and 2006 engines will all be using a blend right from the factory. The weight is 5w20.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
I always use synthetic in my cars and boat. I was told that every 4th or 5th oil change to run conventional or a synthetic blend... It's the properties in conventional oil that keep your seals in good shape... So I usually follow that advice.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Not true. Synthetic oil has all of the conditioning characteristics of conventional oil. What's even better is that the molecular structure far surpasses that of conventional. In fact, the structure is such that contaminants cannot bond with it. Synthetic won't break down either. Have you ever noticed that the same "true weight" in a synthetic seems much thinner than that of a conventional oil? That's because the manufacturers don't have to add anything that thickens the oil to keep it from thinning when the engine is thermocycled. Ex: 90wt synthetic gear lube appears to be about the same thickness as engine oil and 30wt synthetic engine oil resembles the weight of cooking oil. The only thing that happens is that the friction package weakens over time. That's why although they say that you can go 12,000 miles or longer between oil changes with synthetic, they also recommend changing the filter and topping off with one quart at about 4,000 miles. This freshens the friction package and as long as the oil is not dirty, it makes it about as good as new. I'm not an oil expert but engines are my specialty. For more info check out AMSOIL'S site at www.amsoil.com. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Mobil 1 Synth in the 150000+ mile Cavalier. Amsoil in the diesel truck.

G

·
I use Castrol GTX because I am a fan of John Force, and that is the only reason. Good enough reason, I think. Most oils are the same, but John Force is a cool dude, so I use his oil.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(RaftguywithJager @ Dec 9 2003, 09:55 PM)Boater2be, check out this site: http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/ams...l_vs_mobil1.htm
I prefer the Amsoil too, but my old Cav isn't worth the extra $$$. Mobil 1 is good enough for 3k to 5k oil change intervals. My 03 GMC with a recommended 10k mile oil change interval warrants the high dollar stuff.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Vavoline.....the cheap stuff......What`s the diff....

I drive an old piece of shiot caravan anyhow....

·
Registered
336 Posts
QUOTE(puppetshow @ Dec 9 2003, 09:51 PM)I'm trying to figure out WHY I'm in this thread

I guess I was lured in by the LUBE.......................

Uh, DITTO!

·
12,052 Posts
I stayed out of this thread until now. I use Valvoline, that half and half kind....can't remember the name. Durablend, yeah that's it. Thanks Pat.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Dec 10 2003, 12:37 PM)I stayed out of this thread until now. I use Valvoline, that half and half kind....can't remember the name. Duramax?
Durablend maybe?? Duramax is the engine in my truck.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Raftguy,
I respectfully disagree... I have a microbiology phd, and did my final disertation on this exact topic.
Wait a minute, no I'm not, and no I didn't... I believe you

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(Shandog @ Dec 9 2003, 09:54 PM)Oh, you mean lube lube

I thought this thread was about LUBE lube

Me too!
Let's see, I use whatever the young hottie at Uncle Ed's put in every 5000 miles.....baby!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
quaker state and fram filters. worked for a quick lube for two years so i guess I'm just brand loyal.

although I dont trust valvoline or pennzoil products a lot cause I pulled enough rusty filters with double gaskets off cars to realize what kinda morons they had workin at there places.

funny how I've seen how this topic can be almost as bad a talking politcs or religion.

·
Registered
622 Posts
QUOTE(RaftguywithJager @ Dec 9 2003, 09:17 PM)I build prototype engines for Ford
Where do you work?, my brother does machining for prototype engines for Ford, and works in Allen Park?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts