Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazingly my wife has decided to let me buy a new boat

I'm looking for something like this http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3170
Does anybody know of a local dealer that sells boat like that, other than BPS? Brand doesn't matter that much to me as long as the layout & features are similar.

Got kinda aggravated with the salesman at BPS cuz he was trying to get me to put a deposit on a 08' boat that had a sold sign on it
. God I hate saleman like that!!!

So I'm hoping to find a similar boat to that one just not quite as expensive, closer to 20 mark would be nice. I'm not above a used boat like that either, as long as it's in very good condition.

Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Heck with this market I would buy a used one in a minute. They lose so much value and there are a lot boats that have barely even seen the water.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I was thinking but I've been looking hard and everything I find is north of bay city & they want 18g's plus.

I'm hoping to find something local, within in 45 min to an hour of 15 & ryan.

·
Registered
206 Posts
One thing to think about buying a new boat, pair of new lowrances 1500, rod holders 500 and about another 300 in misc stuff..

Just something to think about.

Rich

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
Give Rose Marine a call. They're a Lund dealer on 23 Mile, just east of Fair Haven.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya know at this point I should probably ask what you guys think of a boat like I list above (http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3170) for LSC, SCR & the DR, especially when there is a good 2-3 foot chop going? For some reason I'm pretty good at getting out there when the chop is up or it goes up when I get there!

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I'd prefer glass, and you can find fine used glass boats for $20k. New is nice, but you can get alot more boat buying used. Especially in this market.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jun 14 2009, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ya know at this point I should probably ask what you guys think of a boat like I list above (http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3170) for LSC, SCR & the DR, especially when there is a good 2-3 foot chop going? For some reason I'm pretty good at getting out there when the chop is up or it goes up when I get there!

Thanks guys

A friend of mine has a Targa 17 and I like the boat. It is very roomy with plenty of storage. The only downfalls I have seen is the front deck is pretty cramped. I am 6' 2'' and I find it pretty uncomfortable working the trolling motor on his boat. I dont know where the extra foot goes on the 18' but hopefully its the front deck. Also the electric that came on his boat is nowhere near enough motor for the boat. He has a 12V 45lb thrust on his and it is way too small to control that boat on a windy day. The boat gets blown around pretty good because it sits pretty high being a Deep V and you need a 24V electric or a kicker motor for that boat. A 12V electric wont cut it. Also, with any Deep V Aluminum, it handles a chop pretty good and its a fairly dry ride but it rides pretty rough on a good chop if your at a cruising speed. It will beat you up pretty good. I would say with all the hard times lately unfortunetely you should be able to get a decent used glass boat in that price range. For the money, the targa is a pretty good buy, but the electronics they offer stock, and electric motor leave much to be desired and you will wish you upgraded if you dont from the get go. I enjoy fishing out of his boat as long as I can be in the back lol. Most of the time it doesnt work that way though because i'm sitting in the back stewing when my line is at a 45deg angle when were jigging so I end up taking the helm. I really like all the storage and the room in the boat though. The beam is 8' I believe and it is great when you have a boatful of people. Lots of room and very comfy to fish out of.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jun 14 2009, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ya know at this point I should probably ask what you guys think of a boat like I list above (http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3170) for LSC, SCR & the DR, especially when there is a good 2-3 foot chop going? For some reason I'm pretty good at getting out there when the chop is up or it goes up when I get there!

Thanks guys

For 2-3 foot chop, that's not enough boat for me. If you pick your days and stay home in 2-3 footers, that boat should be fine. I would recommend a boat no shorter than 19' if you plan to mostly fish st clair. My best advise is to take your time and make sure you get the right boat for what you want, and maybe wait until October if you are looking to save a little extra $.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(---FISHON--- @ Jun 15 2009, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(heimskr @ Jun 14 2009, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ya know at this point I should probably ask what you guys think of a boat like I list above (http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3170) for LSC, SCR & the DR, especially when there is a good 2-3 foot chop going? For some reason I'm pretty good at getting out there when the chop is up or it goes up when I get there!

Thanks guys

A friend of mine has a Targa 17 and I like the boat. It is very roomy with plenty of storage. The only downfalls I have seen is the front deck is pretty cramped. I am 6' 2'' and I find it pretty uncomfortable working the trolling motor on his boat. I dont know where the extra foot goes on the 18' but hopefully its the front deck. Also the electric that came on his boat is nowhere near enough motor for the boat. He has a 12V 45lb thrust on his and it is way too small to control that boat on a windy day. The boat gets blown around pretty good because it sits pretty high being a Deep V and you need a 24V electric or a kicker motor for that boat. A 12V electric wont cut it. Also, with any Deep V Aluminum, it handles a chop pretty good and its a fairly dry ride but it rides pretty rough on a good chop if your at a cruising speed. It will beat you up pretty good. I would say with all the hard times lately unfortunetely you should be able to get a decent used glass boat in that price range. For the money, the targa is a pretty good buy, but the electronics they offer stock, and electric motor leave much to be desired and you will wish you upgraded if you dont from the get go. I enjoy fishing out of his boat as long as I can be in the back lol. Most of the time it doesnt work that way though because i'm sitting in the back stewing when my line is at a 45deg angle when were jigging so I end up taking the helm. I really like all the storage and the room in the boat though. The beam is 8' I believe and it is great when you have a boatful of people. Lots of room and very comfy to fish out of.

Great info fishon!! The trolling motor is something I would have never even thought about. I would have assumed that they put a good trolling motor on it.

Kurt
I do see your point on the size. Unfortunately I found out that my wife's main reason for "letting" me get a new boat is that she's tired of looking at it in the driveway so I can't wait until october (she is one impatient woman when she gets tired of something) You've fished on this boat with me & it is not designed for casting, trolling & running downriggers yes.

Ok guys
I can find bass boats all day long but she wont even consider getting on one. Should I consider getting a center console, or a boat with an open front deck like this? http://www.tahoesportboats.com/boat/featur...s.cfm?boat=3006 . I've seen open decks all over craigslist but I do want a seat, fish finder & foot controlled trolling motor up front. A livewell is definitely something I want too. Seems to be fairly hard to find one with all those things, but if I get a good price I can always have that stuff added.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
That's a Fish and Ski type boat. They're meant as a cross between the two types. If you've got to appease the wife (or kids or whatever) then they're a good option. They've got the seating, deep gunwhales and windshield that make for a drier, more comfortable ride. But they're a compromise. I'd stick with a Lund or something with V, a windshield and gunwhales. And as has been said, if you're going to be on LSC most of the time, go as big as you can afford-both in length and hp. It would suck to have an otherwise nice day and not be able to go out because of boat traffic-generated chop or a bit of wind blowing the lake up and keeping you at home.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
If you buy new, Get the max hp the boat is rated for. Its way easier to pay for it in a monthly bill, and nobody EVER said "I wish I had less power and speed". I've been kicking myself for years on that one.

If you get used, you will be able to get more boat usually with more equipment no question and there are some good deals. Michigan is full of boats. Check craigslist and don't be afraid of going for a drive.

My $0.02.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I just upped my power 25 hp with my repower. Gotta go max hp.

And I was going to mention that, don't be afraid to drive. There's tons and tons of Lunds and other V's throughout the Great Lakes. All down through OH, and up through WI. I bought my boat long distance. I was on the West Coast and bought it out of Wisconsin. Went smooth as could be.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I don't have a boat that's similar to either the Tracker or the Tahoe - but I've fished on some like them... Adamfish has a Tahoe similar to the one you showed (not sure of exact model/length) and he has a front trolling motor with foot control I believe. I was out with him on a calm day, it was fine. I've fished on Basstek's 18ft Lund ProV - it handles a pretty good chop (certainly a bit of a rough ride when it's 2-3-4 footers, but I think any boat would be). It's a single-console, and I got pretty wet a few times. I don't know alot about the glass vs. aluminum issue, other than glass boats are much heavier. I read something recently about new vs. used saying that the manufacturers are offering amazing rebates/discounts and financing so boats are WAY cheaper than they were a year ago, and that warranty coverage is a major issue in buying used (like Esoxfly having to replace his motor, big $ issues).

I would say take your time - make a list of important things (like troliing motor size/power, warranty, weight for towing), things you want (windshield, live well, electronics/GPS) because it's easy to get caught up in the excitement of buying a new toy!

Hope you don't mind my sharing my opinion - Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(superman @ Jun 15 2009, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>.....and that warranty coverage is a major issue in buying used (like Esoxfly having to replace his motor, big $ issues).

That actually wasn't mechanical failure, and ended up being water in the oil and was an insurance issue. The motor was sound and had no issues. The water in the oil was the issue. I've got no issues buying a used motor, talking to the owner and getting a feel that he knows what he's talking about and took care of the motor. Look for a fuel/water separator, check compression and bleed down that sort of thing. When I bought my boat, I knew "stuff" would come up and I was prepared for that. So when it blew, I didn't even think towards insurance and started thinking about buying a new motor vs rebuilding while I was still being towed in! It wasn't until just before the motor swap that we found the water and it became an insurace issue. All that time I thought I'd lost oil injection (in a way, I did as I was actually injecting water) and that the motor went.

Warrantee is nice, but I'd not, not buy a boat just because the motor was out of warrantee...provided I'd looked at it, and had compression numbers, bleed down, shaft run-out, lower unit pressure check, inspected lower unit oil and so on....

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yeah lots of boats out there for sure. I have been on lots of 18-22 foot bass boats and multi species, aluminum and glass and might be able to lend some advise if you get close to selecting one. Call me or shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to go look at one with you, or we can chat about what you are looking at. Let me know. Oh and if the wife has you on a clock, by all means go for it!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great tips guys. Me & the ole lady where out looking today and it's amazing the $$ they want for some of the boats, new or used! We went from jefferson & south river road all the way up to algonac & found a huge variety of boats & prices both new & used.
I have to say after playing around on the deck of a few center consoles I do like them. So I'm beginning to lean that way. THe only problem is that I REALLY want a trolling motor on the front. It's driving me nuts not having one.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If you plan to bass fish or cast for muskies, a trolling motor is a 110% must have.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts