1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey Jackie,

The one on the right looks similar to a Russian Hook(but not), the other I haven't seen before. I get the Sag Bay feeling when I look at them. Maybe drop a dime(email) on Franks for some input.

Good Luck,
Harry

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
This got me looking some more. I'm not convinced this was originally intended as an ice fishing jig spoon. Its way to light weight. This got me thinking about trolling spoons with downriggers. I know there are very small light weight spoons for salmon/trout trolling. I did find more that are close but not quite it. Maybe these were modified from something else? Or they started out differently and morphed into the pics below. The key is thin light weight, narrow body, a "tail" and a fixed hook.

To be continued....
This one has the right shape but not a fixed hook;
Font Eyewear Gesture Jewellery Metal

Close again.
Earrings Feather Plant Art Font

The ones on the left have the fixed hook and the shape looks close but does not have the "tail";
Font Line Parallel Office supplies Paper

This is also close but has the bead ahead of the "spoon" not on the hook as some made today;
Publication Book Font Art Illustration

Attachments

·
Banned
187 Posts
Im just taking a guess but this is similiar just more modern.

The modern Williams Dartee sizes and colors were designed as trolling lures. The original Dartees trolling lures date back to 1948 and were a much heavier spoon with riveted mother of pearl which were popular as both casting and trolling lures. The original Dartee trolling lure was taken out of production in 1978 and reintroduced in its' modern day form in 1992, manufactured by Williams.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
i have looked all over with no luck are there any stamped markings on them and is it possible that they are a one of a kind made in some ones garage at home

·
Registered
731 Posts
THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING STEVE, THERE IS A STAMP AND A NUMBER ON BOTH. THE STAMP LOOKES LIKE THIS...

View attachment 69182

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(scsfish @ Nov 19 2009, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im just taking a guess but this is similiar just more modern.

The modern Williams Dartee sizes and colors were designed as trolling lures. The original Dartees trolling lures date back to 1948 and were a much heavier spoon with riveted mother of pearl which were popular as both casting and trolling lures. The original Dartee trolling lure was taken out of production in 1978 and reintroduced in its' modern day form in 1992, manufactured by Williams.

THANK YOU. I SAW THOSE. BUT THE ONES I HAVE DO NOT HAVE A HOLE AT EACH END. THEY STARTED OUT AS ICE JIGS.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
QUOTE(Nautical Mile bp @ Nov 19 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING STEVE, THERE IS A STAMP AND A NUMBER ON BOTH. THE STAMP LOOKES LIKE THIS...

View attachment 69182

what are the numbers

I hope this gentleman really is thankful for the work you have put into trying to find this for him most places would give up after about 30 min

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Nov 19 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Nautical Mile bp @ Nov 19 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING STEVE, THERE IS A STAMP AND A NUMBER ON BOTH. THE STAMP LOOKES LIKE THIS...

View attachment 69182

what are the numbers

I hope this gentleman really is thankful for the work you have put into trying to find this for him most places would give up after about 30 min

LOL YEAH, I KNOW. THE BRASS ONE HAS A #6 ON IT AND THE STAINLESS ONE HAS A #26

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
QUOTEI hope this gentleman really is thankful for the work you have put into trying to find this for him most places would give up after about 30 min

Oh I am extremely thankful. This is the second post on this and I appreciate the time spent digging through it. I had not thought of having these made and Jackie offered to help. Having older catalogs, resources and more contacts along with some fresh eye helps too.

That silver lure was my go to when nothing else in my tackle box worked. And trust me I've got a ton of junk in my tackle box.

Thanks again Jackie!

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I didn't know that it was you snowman. I am sure you are very thankful. I have spent about 3 hours on it myself it became a challenge to me thursaday i closed my shop at 5;30 but didnt leave until 7;00 because i was still trying to fing them. I will look some more.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I've started looking through antique fishing lure sites and emailing some collectors to see if they know where they came from. The downside is most collectors are interested in the old wood lures and the boxes they came in.

Still looking....

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(snowman @ Nov 24 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've started looking through antique fishing lure sites and emailing some collectors to see if they know where they came from. The downside is most collectors are interested in the old wood lures and the boxes they came in.

Still looking....

YEAH, THATS WERE I WAS LAST WEEK...STILL LOOKING TOO

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(wallysteve @ Nov 25 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i have been checking in antique lure forums

THANKS STEVE!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
SNOWMAN, CHECK OUT THE SECOND JIG FROM THE RIGHT!!!!
E BAY...ANGELANPAUL ANTIQUES COLLECTABLES...JACKSON TN

Wood Font Bait Body jewelry Jewellery

Attachments

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
WOW! There is another one in existence. I still have not had any luck. Still no positive responses from emailing collectors either.

Now if I could just find that on ebay...I'd buy that baby!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(snowman @ Nov 28 2009, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>WOW! There is another one in existence. I still have not had any luck. Still no positive responses from emailing collectors either.

Now if I could just find that on ebay...I'd buy that baby!

snowman, I bought those jigs. when they come in I'll let you know so u can take a look at them and see if you want any. don't be pressured to buy them if you don't want them.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I sent the sellers an email to see if they had any info on that one in particular. They didn't. You know which one I want! I'd like a few backups too....and maybe some different colors...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts