·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone out there know the type of tool i would need to cut the slot
for making thru wire
musky lures? tryin to make
my
own lures in a ziggie or loke style. i think i would use .060 wire? i just need to know what type of tool to use for the slot and maybe any links to buy one?? any info much appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
thru-wire musky lures meaning plastic? cast resin? wood?? if you are pouring/casting your lures, you can just embed it into the mold within the cast material..if you want to use a wooden one and cut a rabbet on the bottom of the lure, you could use a router or even a table saw. This is, of course, depending how large the lure is. Could even use a dremel tool and hollow out the material.

lots of good, informative videos on YouTube

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I'd think using a router with a small diameter, straight cut bit will do the job. Drill the holes through the ends, add wire, weights, hook eyes, etc, then just fill the cavity with body filler. sand, seal and finish.

I've been wanting to get into that myself..maybe one of these days lol Been watching loads of lure making videos on youtube. Larry Dahlberg makes some awesome home-made lures.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
No need to use the .060 wire. .051 wire will hold up & is easier to work with.

If you are going to cut a slot for the through wire then you can use a spine back hand saw (with a fine blade) like a miter saw or dovetail saw. The spine on the top helps eliminate the blade from flexing for straight smooth cuts.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea i want to make a thru wire lure similar to a loke ziggie or nils. thru wire lures seem to have better action compared to lures with eyelets like wileys or something along those lines. although i do like wileys and catch alot of fish on them, thru wire lures seem to hold up better and have alot better wandering action. just my
opinion.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
yea i want to make a thru wire lure similar to a loke ziggie or nils. thru wire lures seem to have better action compared to lures with eyelets like wileys or something along those lines. although i do like wileys and catch alot of fish on them, thru wire lures seem to hold up better and have alot better wandering action. just my
opinion.
I would think the lure wandering has more to do with the lip style/angle, etc. then thru wire constructed lures. But than again I am not a lure maker/designer or for that matter even a musky troller. Just my 2 cents...........................

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lip angle is important. and also routing it how John used to on the lokes. he only routed one side of the bait instead of both sides. this made the bait unbalanced and it got a freat wander to it. at least i believe thats how he made the old lokes which seemed to be the best. just need to know what to use to route that slot lol

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
John made Loke lures in halves.

Straight bodies consisted of two halves (left & right), which are later glued together. Baits are thru wired, and the wire grooves were cut on the "inside" of each half piece, using a pin router type set up, that followed patterns he made.

The "outside" shape of each lure half, was done on a "shaper table", which also followed a set of patterns he made.

He was a pattern/tool maker by trade.

Believe it or not, his jointed bodies consist of 4 halves that were glued together. He actually made the tail halves separate from the front body halves, instead of cutting the tail piece off a straight body.

Ziggie starts out with a one piece wood blank. Blank is introduced to a router based copy cutter. His fixture indexes X degrees radially, over 360 degrees, until the desired shape is cut, following a pattern he made. After basic lure blank is cut, he cuts the bait in half to add in the wire grooves, then glues them back together. (he added stock in the middle of the pattern, to accomodate for the saw blade cut)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
contender hittin one out of the park again. thanks for the well thought out response. im gonna go to see ziggie and seeing if he can steer me in the right direction with this

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Merry Christmas Norm ! I hope you have a blessed holiday season . Say hello to your son for me .
Merry Christmas to you and your family too. PM me if you want some fish to fry up, have some nice walleye fillets from casting the river last month, never did get you out walleye casting in the lake. Will have to do that next year, will PM you when they are biting, if your up to it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts