Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Im new to this site, although I've been boating on Lk St Clair for years.

I have been stopped on the water on jetskis several times by the sheriff but usually only for a check of boaters safety license. Yestarday I got hit with a ticket with 3 civil infractions. The officer stated I was operating at unsafe speeds near another vessel. Now I was jumping the wake of the other boat, however I know i was farther than 200 feet from him (and the law is only 150). I am 24 years old, and was very insulted as the officer was treating me like a 12 year old. I have taken boaters saftey classes twice and a U.S. Power Squadron course once, so I know the laws and whatnot. Being curteous I just accepted the ticket and was on my way.

Sorry for the rant, the question is; does anyone know where I can find a list of ticketable offenses on the lake and their corresponding points and fines? Ive searched here and on the web with no luck.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
If its anything like a ticket in a car, it is up to the jurisdiction what the fines are. Most of the $ goes to the State though.

Lots of Sheriff posts today!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I heard they were really busy this weekend on the water. It was a Macomb County sheriff, with New Baltimore court contact information.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Call the court...the phone number is on the ticket, or perhaps they have the fine schedule posted on-line through the macomb county court website.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I tried calling today and the woman i spoke with said the ticket has not yet entered the system and to try back later. :/ The only thing i found online is the "up to a $xxx dollar fine. Which as we all know differs from county to county.

·
Vendor
12,824 Posts
If it is a misdemeanor you will probably have to go to court and talk to the judge. Plead with him and try to tell him that you were not within 150'. Fight it man! Good luck.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I'd fight it. Did the cop have some kind of laser rangefinder? Was the cop operating his radar (could have estimated distance based on that)? What were you using to estimate distance? Too often, estimation of distance on the water is just a guess. You might have been wrong, cop might have been wrong, but if you fight it and they can't prove it, you SHOULD get off. Depends on the judge, though. For a defense, i'd go in with more than "I was 200' behind". Come up with a rationale. I was behind a 30' boat, and I was at least 5 boat lengths back, or my PWC is about 8', and I was 20 boat lengths back, etc. And next time, keep an eye out for the cops

What else did you get hit for?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(sleeper @ Jun 16 2009, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And next time, keep an eye out for the cops

What else did you get hit for?

Lol yea I usually do look out for the cops. Its easier to avoid them than deal with getting pulled over.

I didnt have the registration for the jetski or my boaters safety license on me. I was also under the assumption that the last two offenses were waivable, although the officer did not mark waiv. on the ticket. So Idk.

I called the court again yestarday evening and they do not have any record of the ticket yet.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I keep that stuff on me, but I don't think the law says you have to have your boaters safety card on you. The way I read it, it says you're required to have taken the class, but it doesn't say you're required to present proof to an officer upon request. Unless that was recently revised along with the change in the time limit. I think you're generally required to have the registration for any boat, though. You could always pull the cheech & chong answer out: "where's your license?" "It's on the bumper, man!"

·
Registered
22,943 Posts
QUOTE(sleeper @ Jun 17 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I keep that stuff on me, but I don't think the law says you have to have your boaters safety card on you. The way I read it, it says you're required to have taken the class, but it doesn't say you're required to present proof to an officer upon request. Unless that was recently revised along with the change in the time limit. I think you're generally required to have the registration for any boat, though. You could always pull the cheech & chong answer out: "where's your license?" "It's on the bumper, man!"

·
Registered
954 Posts
QUOTE(sleeper @ Jun 17 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I keep that stuff on me, but I don't think the law says you have to have your boaters safety card on you. The way I read it, it says you're required to have taken the class, but it doesn't say you're required to present proof to an officer upon request. Unless that was recently revised along with the change in the time limit. I think you're generally required to have the registration for any boat, though. You could always pull the cheech & chong answer out: "where's your license?" "It's on the bumper, man!"

You need to have it with you or you "can" be ticketed. Not to many will but do so there are a few who like to write tickets. I guess they want everyone there autograph for when they become famous LOL

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(Gary864 @ Jun 17 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sleeper @ Jun 17 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I keep that stuff on me, but I don't think the law says you have to have your boaters safety card on you. The way I read it, it says you're required to have taken the class, but it doesn't say you're required to present proof to an officer upon request. Unless that was recently revised along with the change in the time limit. I think you're generally required to have the registration for any boat, though. You could always pull the cheech & chong answer out: "where's your license?" "It's on the bumper, man!"

You need to have it with you or you "can" be ticketed. Not to many will but do so there are a few who like to write tickets. I guess they want everyone there autograph for when they become famous LOL

I'd think that if you fall into the age range where the card is required it's just like having a drivers license. If you can't produce one then they assume you don't have one. Even though I didn't need one I had it laminiated and kept it with the registration in a waterproof container on the jetski. Course I was a new boater and took the view better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
QUOTE(Gary864 @ Jun 17 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(sleeper @ Jun 17 2009, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I keep that stuff on me, but I don't think the law says you have to have your boaters safety card on you. The way I read it, it says you're required to have taken the class, but it doesn't say you're required to present proof to an officer upon request. Unless that was recently revised along with the change in the time limit. I think you're generally required to have the registration for any boat, though. You could always pull the cheech & chong answer out: "where's your license?" "It's on the bumper, man!"

Gary, Is a photocopy acceptable for the boaters safety certificate? I made a few copies of mine, laminated them, and I keep one in the boat and one in the jet ski. That way it's always there if I need it, because I usually don't bring my wallet with me. The original stays home so it doesn't get lost. It was already pretty raggety by the time I photocopied it, that card is 17 years old now!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I am guessing I am over the age where I need to carry my boaters safety card and since I couldn't tell you where it is it can't do me much good right now anyway. What year did the law change that you have to carry the card? What age would the cut off be for not needing it?

However, you would think that the state would give you something more permenant then just a piece of card stock with printing on it if you need to carry it with you for the rest of your life. You drivers license is plastic and laminated. Granted your registration isn't more then paper but at least they give you a new one every three years for your boat/jet ski. Seems to me that if you have to have it to operate a boat/jetski they would make it more waterproof. IMHO.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
Who May Operate a Personal Watercraft (PWC)
Those less than 12 years of age may not legally operate a PWC.

Those 12 and 13 years of age may operate a PWC legally only if:

He or she obtained a boating safety certificate prior to January 1, 1999, or ...
All of the following conditions are satisfied:
The operator is accompanied solely by his or her parent or legal guardian and ...
Both the operator and the parent or legal guardian have obtained a boating safety certificate and ...
The PWC is equipped with a lanyard-type ignition safety switch and the parent or legal guardian has the lanyard attached to his or her person, clothing, or PFD.
Those 14 years of age or older:

And born after December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC legally only if they have obtained a boating safety certificate.
And born on or before December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC legally without restrictions.

·
Registered
702 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Jun 17 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Who May Operate a Personal Watercraft (PWC)

He or she obtained a boating safety certificate prior to January 1, 1999, or ...
The operator is accompanied solely by his or her parent or legal guardian and ...
Both the operator and the parent or legal guardian have obtained a boating safety certificate and ...
The PWC is equipped with a lanyard-type ignition safety switch and the parent or legal guardian has the lanyard attached to his or her person, clothing, or PFD.

And born after December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC legally only if they have obtained a boating safety certificate.
And born on or before December 31, 1978, may operate a PWC legally without restrictions.

I'm safe! Thanks Stodge!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(Stodge @ Jun 17 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Who May Operate a Personal Watercraft (PWC)

According to the officer, and the laws i researched online:

If you are required to take the course because you were born after 1978, then you are required by law to carry it with you at all times. If you do not have it on you, it is considered a misdemeanor.

I printed 78 pages of Michigan laws for PWCs alone. There are a lot of ridiculous laws.. the one that stood out the most... If your passenger is rocking the vessel, they can be arrested, charged with a misdemeanor and/or spend up to 90 days in jail.

I think the laws need to be revised.. "Those 12 and 13 years of age may operate a PWC legally only if:

He or she obtained a boating safety certificate prior to January 1, 1999, or ..."
... So if you are twelve today you can drive a PWC legally if you took your boaters safety class 10 years ago, or at the age of 2...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts