Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
cool article ken! and thanks again for taking me out on a couple of hunts this year!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly I wish the season was longer so we could all get out more, or I had more time off. It is my passion.

Why do I feel like Steve Martin in "The Jerk"? "The new phone books here I'm somebody! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity..."

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I just don't understand the logic behind closing duck season, then reopening it for what, 2 days.
Ranks right up there with the DNR complaining about canada geese, then closing the season on them. Open the season and be done with it.
But they bitch about the over population of deer and mess that season up also. Go figure

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(EagleLarry @ Jan 1 2010, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just don't understand the logic behind closing duck season, then reopening it for what, 2 days.
Ranks right up there with the DNR complaining about canada geese, then closing the season on them. Open the season and be done with it.But they bitch about the over population of deer and mess that season up also. Go figure

I can give you the explanation for that. The idea is that you are going to shoot and reduce the local nusiance goose population. That is why we have an early september season too. There are no migratory birds here in September. This is also why the season closes during the "goose migration". If you shoot a migratory bird, there is a chance that its mate (they pair up for life) will stay here looking for the mate that was shot and not leave. It'll possibly get hooked up with a local and stay here and make more nusiance baby geese. Then after the big push south is mostly done, the season opens for us to shoot more locals. Great idea right?

Here's the catch. There are more local geese in areas that are closed to hunting ie. the mall ponds, Chrysler tech center, golf courses, etc. The theory is only good on paper. This is also why there have been attempts at oiling eggs, disturbing local nests, and all the other crap that doesn't work. BUT I'll tell you and them what will work.

I know guys that would PAY to hunt local geese off local golf courses.
1. You eliminate local geese.
2. The golf course could make extra cash. ( same price as greens fees with a cart)
3. The state could make extra cash by selling an extra type license.
4. It's possible local food banks could benefit

The downside is it would reduce the number of bookings for the goose hunt guides and clubs, unless it was roughly priced in the same neighborhood and the guided hunts.

My $0.02

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I guess I never thought about it in that way. Makes great sense thou. Maybe the Dnr did think that one out. As far as golf courses and such, your right on there. What would be the harm , if nothing else, but open your property up for a bow season

1 - 14 of 14 Posts