Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to muskie gear a few weeks ago, I started amassing a crapload of baits. With flies, it's not a huge deal. You can put two or three full size, 10/0 muskie flies in a single row of a big Plano box and then put all of your Plano boxes into a bag and hit the lake.

Not so with muskie baits. With two or thre big trebles, you spend half the day untangling baits and pulling hooks out of your hand, so they make commercially available vertical bait boxes just for this. You store your bait vertically in their own individual slot and you can put them in and pull them out without snagging on any others. They're nice. But they cost $$$. Now I have no problem spending the cash on a good product, but I had the ideal bag for the baits, I just needed the dividers. So on a muskie site I frequent I asked what other guys use because I know that somewhere, sometime someone has made their own box. And of course they had....

They use gutter downspout like what you get from Home Depot or something. Cut it to length and put it in a bag, box, milk crate, whatever and there's your muskie bait box.

So like I said, I had the perfect bag, just needed the dividers. So two 10' sections of downspout that I paid all of $7.94 for at HD cut to 12" lengths, then bonded together with PVC cement, and I'm done. I wanted it to look nice, so I wrapped it all in some black fake leather stuff I had, and painted it black down the indside so it looked halfway decent. My bag has Velcro strips on the inside to mount dividers in, so I put the opposing Velcro strips on the downspout so it'd be held in the bag and not shift or fall out; not needed, but makes it all one piece.

Works well, but it's already full and I have enough baits now to fill it three times over, so I'm having to bite the bullet now and have a Lexan box made for my boat that will store dang near 100 baits and will act as a front deck extension. But this bag will still be my travel bag, or if I fish from someone else's boat, I can take with me what I need.

So just a tip for all the new muskie casters out there maybe looking for a better way to store their baits.

Wood Rectangle Gas Font Hardwood
Wood Building Rectangle Flooring Hardwood
Rectangle Wood Gas Box Natural material
Outdoor bench Wood Rectangle Material property Gas
Product Luggage and bags Bag Gas Trunk
Food Automotive lighting Ingredient Cuisine Dish

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(fish n chicks @ Jul 14 2009, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well son of a bitch! That's very badd a$$ Jeff. Looks commercially made. How did you treat the rough ends of the gutters?

Cut them with a hacksaw, so they spalled a bit, but just burnished them with a straight edge then put a self-leveling sealant on them so there weren't any gaps.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This what I was trying to emmulate-

They're the standard.

And this is what I'm having made to fit my boat as a front deck extension. You can stand on them-

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Looks awesome... let me get this straight, you've been a muskie tackle guy (other than flies) for what, a month now? And you have so many baits you need a deck extension box? Jiminy crickets! lol good for you - you don't mess around do ya?!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(superman @ Jul 14 2009, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks awesome... let me get this straight, you've been a muskie tackle guy (other than flies) for what, a month now? And you have so many baits you need a deck extension box? Jiminy crickets! lol good for you - you don't mess around do ya?!

Um, I started casting with gear June 28th, so it's been a bit over two weeks.

No, I don't mess around. I'm friggin serious about these damn fish!!! I came here to fish for muskie, that's it and that's all. So I hit it with both barrels. I'm already looking at my third rod and reel for these things.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
That's a great idea. Excellent!

I also like the 5 gallon bucket dividers one can purchase online. They cost about $20, if I recall correctly. Important to remember to drill holes in the bottom of the bucket for water to drain out if you use them...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
You seriously had the PERFECT bag for those to fit in! You should start producing them and be the local musky box maker, just dont forget to sponser the site!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And that's why I didn't want to buy one premade. I had a great bag, just needed the dividers. I've got some spare downspout...alot actually....if anyone is interested. But I don't think I'll be making them to sell. this one looks rough up close, but it works. I'd do it differently if I did it again; differnent cement, differnent sealant, etc.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
great job esox, i really like the clear box also.

damn, if thats just from the past few weeks, you should have a huge fly collection, LOL

awesome work and creativity, nothing like turning scrap into use.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE(sshhiittyy @ Jul 14 2009, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>damn, if thats just from the past few weeks, you should have a huge fly collection, LOL

I tie between 1,000-1,500 flies a year.

Seriously.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
picture please, lol j/k i know that'd be a huge mess to make and clean up. but thats incredible dedication jeff, keep up the good work. and i know your not a second year fisherman, so you must have an insane amount,

i have 1 friend that use to tie his flies, so i know its beyond a hobby or dedication. he didnt make any where close to that many. and ill go on a hunch and say he still hasnt reached 1500 still to this day. i could be wong, but i tink im wite.

nice work

·
Registered
958 Posts
Absolutely great idea!!!
I have all my 'skie baits stuffed into little boxes and they fill up every nook & cranny on my boat! I saw a box like that at bass pro tonight that was like $130!
I really don't want to spend that much for a box, that as you have proven can be made for a whole lot cheaper.

Good job man.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts