Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into making a custom dash panel and was looking for some suggestions on the material to make is out of. I'm getting rid of some guages and also want to add a flush mount chartplotter. Would like a material that is easy to machine and of course looks cool! It's simply a rectangular peice so it shouldn't be to hard to make. Any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would recommend using "starboard" a versatile plastic like material that is available at Westmarine and Boatus in varying sizes and thicknesses.

·
12,052 Posts
I agree, starboard is a marine plastic. There is a plastic warehouse open to the public off Crooks by M-59 that has a ton of it in black and white. Can't remember the name, but check the yellow pages under plastics and Rochester Hills. I bought some there very cheap and they cut all the pieces right to size for me.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd make it out of stainless and polish it or if that would cause too much glare, I'd make it out of aluminum and get it anodized to match a trim color.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Starboard plastic looks nice. They have a real nice web site with all lots of fabrication tips.

I wonder what that plastic shop would charge for all the machining. I was thinking about doing it myself, but if it's cheap, maybe I'll just have them do it. Will have to give em a call.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
try one of thoes small job shops , for machining , think a lot are hurting for work right now , any where from 30 to 60 dollars a hour , depends on where you go , and the owner , if you have a bridgeport , might be better doing ur self ,

G

·
There's a guy that sells gauges on ebay (I bought a set of white gauges from him last fall) that also makes dash panels, I think out of aluminum. I saw some online that he did for a Formula 272 in white that looked like they came from the factory. I emailed the guy with the boat and he said they came out really nice, not real cheap, but not outrageous either. He said that the small panels with labels for switches cost more because of the etching. Anyways, his name is Mark and his email is [email protected]

He is local too, Chesterfield maybe??

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
QUOTE(Milord @ Jul 11 2003, 12:07 PM)I did mine in stainless and the glare isn't bad at all!
Yours looks real good in the boat!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hammer:

I looked in the phone book under plastics and there are so many of them. I found one called Total Plastics. It's close to 59/Crooks, but not on Crooks. Any chance you might be able to get a name?

·
12,052 Posts
That's it.....Total plastics. Its on a side road OFF Crooks near M-59. They cut mine right to size for no extra charge.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Hammer. I just talked to John, nice guy, very good prices. They are only charging me $28 to cut out all the holes. The only problem is they have to sell me a 29" x 54" sheet. I only need 9"x23". Does anyone want some of the material?

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking of re-doing mine. I will get the dimensions, and get back to you. What color did you opt for? Also, if I bring my old one, will they cut the holes for me as well?
How much for the remaining piece?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, they can cut the peice to the right size and cut out all your holes. If you have your orginal, they can just use it as a template. If it's a simple design, it will probably only cost about $28 for all the machining. That's what they are charging me for 10 holes and the outside cut.

I'll split the peice with you 50/50, which would be $25. There will still be material left so if anyone else wants it let me know and we can split it 3 ways.

I'm taking mine in tomorrow so if you want, I'll take yours in too if you can get it to me. I'll be at Harbor Club North this evening, or I live in Rochester. Call my cell today at 248-421-8699 and let me know. Oh yeah, it's Black.

·
12,052 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. I actually replaced the old wood on my bbq grill with black starboard and stainless screws. Looks better than new. Cost me less than $20. for both pieces and for them to cut them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm a little disappointed with Total Plastics. They can sure make promises, but they can't follow through with them. I was first told the dash would be ready Tuesday/Wednesday. Then Wednesday when it wasn't ready, they said they would try for Thursday. Thursday no good so it will be ready Friday. It's Friday and now they are now telling me next Wednesday! Next Wednesday will come along and with this trend, it probably won't be ready.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts