Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Man hit by truck at boat launch

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  eaglelarry 
#1 ·
Man hit by truck in boat launch
June 23, 2009

A man was seriously injured after being run over by a truck pulling a boat about 10:30 p.m. in Ira Township, said St. Clair County Sheriff Sgt. Kevin Manns.

The man was in the Department of Natural Resources boat launch off Dixie Highway when he was struck by the truck and boat trailer.

The driver of the vehicle fled the scene but was caught shortly later by deputies as witnesses followed him and reported his location to police, Manns said.

Details about the driver and victim weren't available this morning, he said.

The victim was transported to Mount Clemens General Hospital.

Manns said he sustained serious injuries but was in stable condition.

Alcohol is believed to be a factor in the incident, he said.

See less See more
#2 ·
Fox2 news made it sound like the guy that got hit was trying to keep the drunk from driving away. Bless his heart for trying, but man...not smart move standing in front of a drunk that was apparently busted by on-lookers and he!! bent on getting outta there.

Thank God that guy, or no one else, was killed by this f'n idiot. And a good job by the ones that called it in and followed him. I trust (and hope) that justice will be served!

#4 ·
The sad part is that the drunks are starting to hurt
OTHERS out there. Hey go out get drunk and kill yourself if ya want but really sad that people that can't control their alcahol level on the water are taking lives and putting peeps in the hospital in serious condition. Sucks

#6 ·
Ridiculous

#7 ·
The sad part is that there are some people who actually think that boating and drinking go hand-in-hand. What they don't realize is that after all the fun on the water is over with, the effects of the consumed alcohol are still in affect while they still have to drive home.

It wouldn't surprise me that after an inciddent like this, that more people towing boats and leaving launches are checked more frequently for Drinking and Driving offences.

#8 ·
I know for one, that the "boaties" (there's two types of Coasties- "boaties" and "airdales." I'm an airdale) are ramping up their alcohol enforcement this year at Jobbie. I'm all about a beer-hell I'm buzzing right now, but in the comfort of my Laz-Y-Boy in front of Die Hard on TV, but excessive booze in public is just not cool by any means. But you'll never end it. There's always those who'll be dips***s. Too bad the rest of us have to pay for it.

#9 ·
Hit-and-run suspect charged with drunk driving, assault
June 25, 2009

An Ira Township man was arraigned this morning on several charges following a hit-and-run accident that left a 25-year-old Riley Township man seriously injured.

Robert Howard Degregory, 26, is charged with operating while intoxicated causing serious injury, assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder, driving while license suspended causing serious injury and failure to stop at a serious injury accident.

The incident occurred shortly after 10 p.m. Monday at a boat ramp off M-29 in Ira Township.

Degregory intentionally ran over the victim, Christopher Brass, who was trying to stop him from driving, according to a statement from the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department.

Degregory left the scene and was apprehended a short time later by citizens and members of the New Baltimore Police Department.

Clay Township police officers and Ira Township firefighters assisted at the scene.

Bond was set at $15,000 cash or surety.

A preliminary examination is scheduled for July 8.

#12 ·
15 grand?!?!?!?!?!?
You've got to be kidding me..... They should add a few more zero's on that so he doesn't hit the streets again until he goes to prison for a long long time!

God I hope this idiot get's the book thrown at him, but some how I think there will be a plea bargain & he'll get off with a few months in jail or a butt load of community service.

H*ll I think we should all send letters to the judge & prosecutor expressing our anger and disbelief at this idiot & how a light sentence would be a true travesty of justice. The more letters they get the more pressure they'll be under. Maybe even contact the news stations about all the letters that are being sent to apply even more pressure. Assuming of course people start sending them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.