Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It happens every year but here was the case today. Was fishing the back bays from 11:00 to dark, around 3:00 p.m. everyone hears a screaming coming from the direction of the boat ramps, we look and see a head sticking out of the water. The victim had about 3 or 4 fisherman near him but they were being very careful getting to him, he was in the water for about 3-4 minutes before one guy pulled him out with his shanty sled. The fire dept. responded to ensure he was ok and even rescued his equipment for him. Make sure you tell everyone you know who ice fishes behind metro that there is a lot of current in between the island and the venitian canal and the ice is almost never safe to walk on.

·
3,236 Posts
Yup that area always sucks. A few years ago my brother and I were fishing the boat docks there due to bad ice everywhere else when we heard a guy yelling. Only we thought he was just a dumb drunk yelling jumbo over and over again because he finally caught a good fish.
I insert the LOL emoticon because we realized in time he was serious along with everyone else and he was rescued. There are a lot of areas on this lake that are always the last to be safe and the first to be unsafe when the warm temps hit. Always amazes me when someone who is unexperienced walks unchartered territory without spudding ahead. I was planning a trip to sag bay for tomorrow but I don't know it that well and inevitably there will be some unsafe spots due to the recent weather that although obvious to locals will not be to me so I cancelled. Commn sense people, if you don't know the are go with someone who does or stay home.

·
Registered
126 Posts
QUOTE(Tony @ Jan 17 2010, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yup that area always sucks. A few years ago my brother and I were fishing the boat docks there due to bad ice everywhere else when we heard a guy yelling. Only we thought he was just a dumb drunk yelling jumbo over and over again because he finally caught a good fish.
I insert the LOL emoticon because we realized in time he was serious along with everyone else and he was rescued. There are a lot of areas on this lake that are always the last to be safe and the first to be unsafe when the warm temps hit. Always amazes me when someone who is unexperienced walks unchartered territory without spudding ahead. I was planning a trip to sag bay for tomorrow but I don't know it that well and inevitably there will be some unsafe spots due to the recent weather that although obvious to locals will not be to me so I cancelled. Commn sense people, if you don't know the are go with someone who does or stay home.

wise choice Tony,one can not be to carefull, especially in unknown reritorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.