Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a slip this year. We normally trailer it but may get a slip this year. Found a good price on a marina but it is right along side of a road and anyone could just drive into the lot. The office is a long way from this area.

Should I be concerned about problems with this being open? Anyone have a problem in a marina like this? This marina is north of anchor bay.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I would also be uncomfortable with that.

We stay at Bouvier Bridge and although it appears that anyone could just walk in, they have 24 four security and we've never had a problem. We just about lived there during the Summers for the last three years and we never saw anyone there who didn't belong there.

It's really amazing there isn't more vandalism and theft on boats when you see how many sit just off the road completely unguarded. I imagine we just don't hear about most of the petty stuff - if boats burns it makes the news but otherwise it's just word of mouth.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
My parents had their trailer stolen from Sun Up marina in Chesterfield Twp. about 3-4 years ago. Their lot is open to everyone, though I've never heard of anyone having problems with things being stolen from their boat there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Campari,
My trailer was stolen from Michigan Harbor marina in July 2000 and a few weeks later my boat and appx. 20 others were broken into. They had a key card gate but left it open for construction access. I moved to Beacon Cove in 2001 and have had no problems there.

ed

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We are at South Channel Yacht Club on Harsens. There is a couple that lives there and keeps and eye on everything. I suppose its possible that someone might get in without there noticing. Last summer I left the keys to my boat under the seat all summer. Never heard or saw anything out of the ordinary. With the new boat I decided that wasn't something I was going to do this year. I still think its fairly secure though. Besides, there is less traffic there too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The marina I am looking at is Deckers. the neighborhood road runs right through it. Anyone have any thoughts on Deckers?

Scott

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We considered it after deciding to leave Compass Point. We liked South Channel better. Its only a few more minutes driving and it was less money for the slip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Spider @ May 27 2003, 08:56 PM)We considered it after deciding to leave Compass Point. We liked South Channel better. Its only a few more minutes driving and it was less money for the slip.
The name of the marina is South Channel? How do you get to it?

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
South Channel Yacht Club. Its on Harsens Island on the East side down almost to the Old CLub. When you drive in, go all the way to the end and park next to the brown house. Thats the Dockmasters house. Paul and Shirley. Shirley handles slip rentals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE(Scottwood2 @ May 27 2003, 08:19 PM)The marina I am looking at is Deckers. the neighborhood road runs right through it. Anyone have any thoughts on Deckers?

Scott
Deckers was shallow last year... May be worse this year. Regarding vandalism, it depends where the slip is in relation to the bar and the road.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
QUOTE(interceptor @ May 27 2003, 03:55 PM)Campari,
My trailer was stolen from Michigan Harbor marina in July 2000 and a few weeks later my boat and appx. 20 others were broken into. They had a key card gate but left it open for construction access. I moved to Beacon Cove in 2001 and have had no problems there.

ed
Is that in St. Clair Shores? never been there, but been by it a million times. I'm surprised if that's the place, it seems like there's a lot of traffic in and out there.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Scottwood,

I've been at Sassy the last 4 years and never had a problem. It is just down the waterway from Deckers. Price might be a little higher, but we have never had a problem.

During the day, you will have lots of fellow dockmates watching your boat, and at night, there is security patrolling.

You can also store your trailer their (locked up too) for about $20/month.

They have plenty of wells, so you might be able to get a good deal. My boss got 100 gallons of gas for the summer included.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
QUOTE(boatmonkey @ May 27 2003, 12:13 PM)I would also be uncomfortable with that.

We stay at Bouvier Bridge and although it appears that anyone could just walk in, they have 24 four security and we've never had a problem. We just about lived there during the Summers for the last three years and we never saw anyone there who didn't belong there.

It's really amazing there isn't more vandalism and theft on boats when you see how many sit just off the road completely unguarded. I imagine we just don't hear about most of the petty stuff - if boats burns it makes the news but otherwise it's just word of mouth.
Maybe security has improved there, but two years ago I was marina hopping looking for boats that where for sale. I had no idea what I wanted and this seemed like a logical way to start. I walked right into Bouvier Bridge. Crossed the bridge. Nodded to the nice people on the golf cart as I crossed the bridge. I milled around for about a half hour then left. I guess if you look like you belong nobody will ask any questions.

A secure marina may help but make sure your insurance will cover EVERYTHING on your boat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(MooseKnuckle @ Jun 2 2003, 07:19 PM)Scottwood,

I've been at Sassy the last 4 years and never had a problem. It is just down the waterway from Deckers. Price might be a little higher, but we have never had a problem.

During the day, you will have lots of fellow dockmates watching your boat, and at night, there is security patrolling.

You can also store your trailer their (locked up too) for about $20/month.

They have plenty of wells, so you might be able to get a good deal. My boss got 100 gallons of gas for the summer included.
Called and was told that they don't do any deals. The price was $1475 for the season. Maybe I did not talk to the right person. Thanks for the tip though.

Scott Wood

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think that any marina on the lake has a potential for problems, because although many are secure from land, I've never seen one secure from the water side! I had my hose winder stolen at beacon cove last year and when I replaced it someone stole the nozzle!
I also had an outdrive stolen from there in the fall and they have a gaurd and a gaurd dog!
Oh well, that's why I now have rack storage.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Scott, Colony Marine has one well left for a 25'ish boat at their service center, $1200 yr and thats where the County Mounties are, its about 3/4 mile past Sassy (up stream) ask for Karen 810-794-4932. Its a nice quite marina and no I don't keep my boat there, just have a cottage next to it. The worst thing that makes it loud is when the boys in brown leave their [email protected]##$%^ radio on and they go in
but that doesn't happen very often

Cheers
Tony

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
We are at Markleys, the security seems good, they have a gaurd at the gate and one that walks around at night.

Fatcat660

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
My cousin and others had their dinghy motor stolen from their boat...good thing is is that the caught the COUPLE!
in SCS

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm at Markley too and they have new security this season from what I'm told. I see the guard walking around in the evening checking things out, and so far no one has gotten in (not even my parents) without prior notice.

Others nearby say they haven't had any problems at Markley either.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
i think no matter where you are if someone wants what you have bad enough there going to take it best thing to do is try and lock cabin up when you leave and un attch depth finders and other expensive items and try and keep them below or out of sight , and even take home with you at end of day .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts