Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy a marine radio, are handhelds better than fixed-mount? They have a wide selection @ Bass pro
but they all look good.What kind of features am I looking for?Power,watts,channels,features.

Thanks for the input.

Randy

·
Registered
203 Posts
Talking about radios, anyone has an old smaller VHF antenna sitting around? I got an older radio at a yard sale, and like to mount it on my boat, but its only a 20 footer v hull, so a huge antenna is not gonna look right....

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
The hand held can be used on other boats

I liked mine on St.Clair, worked good.

I had to register mine, but that was awhile ago and i just got a letter to re-new it.

You don't need the big antenae with a handheld.

h2o<---good investment

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Gotta disagree with H2O on this one. The FCC requires no license to operate a marine band radio and it is a violation to operate over dry land. Don`t know why. You won`t duplicate the power or distance of a fixed mount marine band which operates at 25 watts. Hand helds are more like 5 watts. Also, marine band radio is line of sight so an 8 foot antenae will reach farther than a hand held. I have a uniden on the Czarbarge and still always take my cell phone. A hand held would be nice though for the wifey to call me back to the cabin for lunch. LOL. For over land and water, those little 2 way radios that have flooded the market lately are pretty handy.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I have to disagree with your brother also Czar. Hand held are very limited a boat mount with and 8 foot antenna will get you across most of the lake. I guess they did git rid of the license fees. Bob

·
12,052 Posts
There is also a HUGE difference in 8' antenna's. You know the saying 'you get what you pay for?' Well you do. Get the higher db gain antenna, its worth it. Also like stated, mount it as high as possible, for the best range. I can talk to the Thames River from Schmid marina to a friend of mine who has the same antenna, like he is right next to me. I have a hand held also, works good on the dinghy when toolin' around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts