Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(Soo Sassy @ Aug 18 2009, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Never heard of this Raymond guy. I highly recommend Dolphin Marine (HazyMemory from the board). He's done survey's for many of us here.

+1

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I've used Richard Fachini (sp?) before, but only for insurance purposes (but it's been quite a while). He would do a good job on overall evaluation, but I'm not sure how detailed he gets with the mechanicals. If I was buying a boat I'd want someone to look close at hull structure and drivetrain

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
QUOTE(Suck My Wake @ Aug 18 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So do I need to have a mechanic come in also to look at propulsion? I am most concerned about outdrives.

I gotta believe Hazy can do it, he used to teach auto mechanics but I can't speak for him

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(fitsus @ Aug 18 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Suck My Wake @ Aug 18 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So do I need to have a mechanic come in also to look at propulsion? I am most concerned about outdrives.

I gotta believe Hazy can do it, he used to teach auto mechanics but I can't speak for him

I spoke with him, he said he doesnt really look at propulsion other than major issues like leaks, etc.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(Suck My Wake @ Aug 18 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So do I need to have a mechanic come in also to look at propulsion? I am most concerned about outdrives.
You'll want a survey. The bank will want it too.

If you are concerned about the detail ofthe mechnical review, you could check with Dave Blaz and see if he would do a shake down/eval/inspection.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Most time the sea trial will let you know how the engine or engine's are. I would check the compression on each cylinder and make sure they are close to the same especially the cylinders next to one and the other.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I'm getting a licensed inspection. I am going to go the extra mile and get Blaz in there too. The boat is a 96' with Bravo 3's. I am confident with the durability of efi smallblocks, however I want a thorough check of those Bravo's.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
The two reasons for a survey when buying a boat... one a "valuation" for the insurance company and/or finance company. A licensed marine surveyor is typically required.

The other reason is to give YOU an indication if there are things on the boat that could be a concern, and might cost time, convenience, patience and money to address. I value an experienced surveyor because they know what things to look for on certain boats that are different than generic issues on all boats. Who does this survey is up to you. It could be a knowledgable friend, a marine mechanic or you could do it yourself, but it you don't have that experience it increases this risk you might overlook something. What it costs for this work may be well offset by the savings on future repairs (or not getting into a boat that looks otherwise like a good deal). I have used professional surveyors for value their knowledge on hull and structural integrity and use my own assessment on the mechanicals (afterall, I'm going to have to fix it probably anyways!), but if I was getting into an I/O, I'd have to have someone else look it over because I'm not versed enough in those. If you are not comfortable with the mechanicals I would absolutely recommend getting someone to look at them. Dave Blaz has been mentioned in many posts on this site with very favorable responses.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I did. Most surveyors will tell you they don't do any real type of engine/mechanical inspection. Just a visual inspection. I used Jack Morman to survey my boat. He was great, very knowledgable.

I used Sommers Marine at Belle Maer for my engine survey. I don't recommend them. Their tech crossed spark plug wires on both motors after the compression check. Caused me a huge headache. When I talked to the owner (Al) about it, he just said "it happens". When all was said and done, I don't think they did nearly enough of an inspection/survey for the money they charged me.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
QUOTE(Suck My Wake @ Aug 18 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yeah, I'm getting a licensed inspection. I am going to go the extra mile and get Blaz in there too. The boat is a 96' with Bravo 3's. I am confident with the durability of efi smallblocks, however I want a thorough check of those Bravo's.

Smallblocks with Bravos - don't worry.

Just pull one of the plugs and make sure the fluid is full, and let a little bit drip and make sure that it still has some of the blue / green color of the new stuff and isn't totally black, or milky at all. It's going to be a little dark, and look black in a pan, but as it's dribbling out you should be able to see the blue / green color from the daylight shining through from the other side. If it's not milky then the seals are most likely good, and if it's not black it's been changed recently / frequently enough for those drives to last near forever behind small blocks.

Only other thing you can check is the condition of the bellows. Look for cracking or tears.

The other common failures (u joints, couplers, and gimbal bearings) can't really be inspected without removing the drive. That's kind of a cross your fingers and hope thing. Come winter time pull the drives and check / replace the u-joints and gimbal bearings (may want to do some or all of it as preventative maintenance) and make sure the shaft going into the coupler is greased well, then grease it a little more. Also check alignment of the motors, bad alignment will kill the coupler quick and put some extra stress on the gimbal bearing too.

No reason to be scared of the outdrives. They're no less reliable than the motors. They just require a lot more special tools when they do fail.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.