Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK fellow boating peeps. I have been gathering information on security monitoring systems for boats for a while now and I am about to potentially offer one as a new product/service of Dolphin Marine.

Would YOU be interested in a wireless system that would monitor the various systems on your boat and let you know if there is a problem. The system would automatically call you and whatever agency necessary, the police, fire department, etc. in case of forced entry, fire, high water, fume issues, battery disconnect, shore power disconnect, etc.

Would YOU as a boat owner be interested? How much would you pay? Would you be willing to pay a monthly service charge?

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Have you ran that idea past Merlin? John may have some valuable input for ya Hazy.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Merlin, Hazy and I have had conversations on this one eve @TNT's.....

Sounds like a great idea to me, but it may become cost prohibitive. I still think the big sales would be to marinas to "license/train" them to then sell as added value to their customers.

To answer your question Hazy, IF I had a docked vessel AND the money to do it YES I would be interested.

Mini

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Its a cool idea.
But I would not be interested.

I imagine it might appeal to folks with larger more expensive boats, not a 27 footer.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
i always wondered about boat theft if they left the dock i thought a lo jack system would be good to install. otherwise how would you find them??? you can't chase them they have your boat...

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(RED HOT ONE @ Dec 18 2003, 11:33 AM)That sounds sweet...But very costly
I am shooting for a less than $1000 target price and maybe a $30 or so monthly. It's not so bad considering the cost of the target boats.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(Capt'n Rob @ Dec 18 2003, 12:04 PM)Have you ran that idea past Merlin? John may have some valuable input for ya Hazy.
Merlin was actually the guy that gave me the idea way back early in the year. I told him that I wanted to get Dolphin a reputation of doing good work first.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Dec 18 2003, 12:34 PM)Merlin, Hazy and I have had conversations on this one eve @TNT's.....

Sounds like a great idea to me, but it may become cost prohibitive. I still think the big sales would be to marinas to "license/train" them to then sell as added value to their customers.

To answer your question Hazy, IF I had a docked vessel AND the money to do it YES I would be interested.

Mini
I looked into that idea Mini, but it would add complication to a system that absolutly has to remain reliable and that means it has to have simplicity. We'll talk more about it next time we get together.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Pandora @ Dec 18 2003, 02:16 PM)i always wondered about boat theft if they left the dock i thought a lo jack system would be good to install. otherwise how would you find them??? you can't chase them they have your boat...

The tracking would be done with coordinates broadcasting from the already on board GPS. If the boat does not already have a GPS, one can always be added by Dolphin or Lazer.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
If i had a lager boat with things like nice tvs or stereos vcr, stuff like that i would. but for 24 ft naw i think insurance would cover missing things. But having a system like you said would probally get a discount on ins cost for boat. id invest in something like a car alarm with a kill switch. if it was available.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(bobrob20 @ Dec 18 2003, 04:11 PM)id invest in something like a car alarm with a kill switch. if it was available.
You can buy those at most car audio stores.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts