Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any input on Maxum boats? I'm looking to buy a cruiser and liked the Maxum 2900. Right now I have a Seadoo Utopia 185 jet boat, so this is a big jump for me. Plus the seadoo was my first boat, so I've never dealt with the whole prop thing. Any input would be helpful!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a 33' Maxum that I purchased new in 2001 (until the dreaded boating disease caused me to upgrade to a 41' Sundancer). It was a great boat and cost more that 50 grand less than the comparable Searay. I don't know what year the boat you are looking at is but Maxum has produced good quality in recent model years. Earlier years (ie. 99' and earlier) were not the best in quality. They build a good boat with lots of ammenities for the price. If you are looking at a new one I would recommend McMachan as a dealer. I purchased mine from a dealer I won't mention in Port Huron and was less than pleased with the service I got.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
We bought a 1996 SCR2400 this spring and love it. The only things we've had trouble with have to do with the less than stellar competance level of the previous owners marina (they are over on the West side of the state. Otherwise the boat is great and next season ought to be trouble free. At least I hope I've found all the mechanical things they tampered with. Remember if you are buying used to always get a survey. Always, Always, Always.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(rumpshaker @ Sep 30 2003, 09:02 PM)hey coconuts ,,I think Goose has a Maxum but there in Germany for 2 weeks ,but there checking there email
I think Goose has a Monterey. Never heard anything bad about maxim's.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I will agree with mts101. I bout my last boat from McMachen and the dealer is great. Now the boat I bought from them (Sea Ray) was less than average quality, but that was the company. The dealer treated me great! Nothing bad to say about McMachen and Neil Williams was my Salesman, was great!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input! The boat we're looking at is in South Bend, Indiana. Does anyone have any suggestions who you call to transport a boat a couple hundred miles? Also, any suggestions on how to locate a surveyor out of state?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts