Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have info on this Merc 250hp xb.Does it run well,breakdowns.What about gas milage.Do I need a new bank account to feed this thing.It's on a 20.9" Pro Craft 210.Only 10 hours on this boat.Should be nicely broken in.Opinons on this boat,so far everybody is different.Probably will buy this boat,deal is to good to pass on.Marina said the motor alone is 28K here in Ontario.Top end speed is about 85mph.That'll work.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Dave,

I have no personal experience with the motor, I have seen quite a few lately in tournaments. There will be a substantial amount of gas used by that motor. Probably near 25 gallons an hour @ WOT.

Good luck with your decision and post a pic of your new rig when you get one. Might be the ony time I will be able to see it sitting still. Hard to get a good look at her if you are going 85 MPH!

Mini

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
QUOTE(dave @ Jan 23 2003, 03:57 PM)Anybody have info on this Merc 250hp xb.Does it run well,breakdowns.What about gas milage.Do I need a new bank account to feed this thing.It's on a 20.9" Pro Craft 210.Only 10 hours on this boat.Should be nicely broken in.Opinons on this boat,so far everybody is different.Probably will buy this boat,deal is to good to pass on.Marina said the motor alone is 28K here in Ontario.Top end speed is about 85mph.That'll work.
Dave; is that MPH or KM. Just kidding that is one fast boat. You may need dual citizenship with that kind of speed on LSC. Good luck with the boat, sounds like a nice rig.

·
Registered
320 Posts
dave,

The 250 Merc is a strong motor. Great holeshot I hear. The only drawback I know about is availability of parts in some places. If a lower unit or powerhead goes on it, parts are not as easily found on the shelf as you would find for a 225 or 150HP. At least not yet. I wouldn't let that stop me though. This should improve soon as more of them are sold and put into service.

Paul G. - Any comments?

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
If you're in a multi-day tournament or trip and the motor breaks down, it usually means you're done since the parts availability is a problem. That's all I've seen with the 250XB. It doesn't seem to break down anymore than any other motor.

As far as 85mhp - that's too darn fast. It you bleed after the junebug hits you in the forehead, you're going too fast!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Dave,

Don't ask such a loaded question like that for Paul G.!!!!!!!! Most of his season was lost last year because of his problems!!!!
May the Lord have peace on our souls if Paul see the request for his input!

Doug

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
,..Dan,....If you wake up after getting knocked unconcious by that same junebug hitting you at 85mph,...you'd probably be glad you're bleeding!! Atleast then you'll know your heart is still pumping!!! LOL

I agree,..that's tooo fast in a bass boat,.....70mph is PLENTY!! (atleast for me anyway,..but I don't have any hair, so I can hit 72-73mph!! LOL)

Mac

1 - 7 of 7 Posts