Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all; first time post.

I have a 1993 Mercury 175hp outboard. I recently rebuilt the lower unit (for unrelated reasons), and replaced the seals, bearings, and water pump. Always shifted beautifully before, but now I can't get the shift shaft to make a clockwise movement; it will only engage counter-clockwise (reverse). I just took it back apart tonight, including removal of the prop shaft & bearing carrier, shift engagement mechanism and "shift pawl." The shift engagment mechanism will move back and forth just fine all on its own, but when i put it back in the lower unit, and insert the splined shift shaft, it won't engage clockwise. I'm a relatively mechanical oriented person; so hopefully I'm just having a brain fart here and overlooking something simple.

Can anyone of you help? I really appreciate the time!!

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Can you shift the lower unit when it's disconnected? When you put the spline shaft back together you have to make sure that the splines are aligned right. If your lower unit is already in forward and your lever is in neutral when you connect it, it's not going to be right.

That's all I can think of. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts