Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying an inflatable raft.
I'm down to choosing the motor.
Either a 9.9 hp Mercury for $1800.00
Or a 9.8 hp Nissan for $1500.00

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Personally, I would go for the Merc, just because of the parts availability and the fact that just about every boat service center can fix a Merc.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Very good point on the service, although you never know unless you check you local area first. Parts are usually not that hard to with with the internet.

I have owned 4s and 2s and would also add chose a 4-stroke over the 2-stroke.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4 strokes are a whole lot more money though. I'd like to get away alittle cheaper if I can.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Eventually everthing will need to conform to the 2006 emission standards, but both 4-stroke and 2-stroke with direct injection can meets these, but you will still be able to use the older motors. I have heard some lakes require 2006 compatible engines in certain parts of the country, don't know if this is an item to consider.

I would also check the pricing on a 4 stroke in Canada. I have purchased two (one at the begining of last year) 4 stroke honda 9.9s for less than you are looking at the Merc and Nissan.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I respectfully disagree go with the Nissan. Merc makes great IO's but we have a ton of problems in our patrol boat with mecury outboards. Granted they weren't maintained at first but we have issues even with the boats we have gotten in the last 4 years, and those have been taken care of PM wise.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I think my parents might be willing to sell YOU their 9.9 Dihatsu for very evry cheap. You know, the engine that we dropped in Huron point bay in highschool.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(HazyMemory @ Jul 25 2003, 03:09 PM)I think my parents might be willing to sell YOU their 9.9 Dihatsu for very evry cheap. You know, the engine that we dropped in Huron point bay in highschool.
No thanks, I know what that one has been through.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think the idea was it is easier to get service on a Merc because there are more mechanic that can service them. For instance my nieghbor has a Yamaha Vmax 225 and can only get service from a limited number of places.

If you had the Optimax, Merc had alot of issues with these from the beginning. Suprised the new ones aren't better for you, especially if the PM is done. But I would guess your usage/demands to be a bit tougher than the normal user!

·
12,052 Posts
Back when the exchange was a little higher I bought a 2003 15hp Merc in Canada for $1650. US. There are about 7 of them in the boat club, and they all run great. Faster then the yamaha's, evinrudes, and Nissan's of the same size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts