Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to find a used z series and I've been hearing from some anglers that having a metallic flake hull will add over 300lbs to the boat's weight as opposed to having a white hull. I'm sure it adds some kind of weight, but 300 seems a little high. Not that this would swing my decision on buying a boat or not, but I'm curious on your thougths...

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,227 Posts
I believe the newer poly-flakes in use today add less than 100 lbs or so to the overall weight.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Here is a tidbit that may interest you...for every extra color added to a typical bass boat, as in pin stripes and such, you are looking at average of an extra 8 hours of labour to tape it up and spray paint into the mold. More colors, more labour. Also, metalflake is no where near 300 lbs on a bassboat. I wouldn't even worry about it...

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
300 pounds? maybe, if you painted a bus with it. The newer poly-flake weighs nect to nothing compared to the older metal-flake paints of the 60's and 70's. Remember how many older race cars were painted with metal-flake paint jobs?
Nothing to worry about, if you like the boat go for it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It is a proven fact that the more white in a boat, the less it weighs. Although 300# sounds a bit out of line to me. 30# I could believe... If I had the MSDS for each color and knew approx how many gallons of each color on a given boat, it would be easy math to calculate it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you are really that worried about it and want to know for sure go to basscat.com and they will be able to give you the facts there....Go there and post and you should have a response from the owners of the company within 24 hours....

300lbs??? I highly doubt it....

Fishing in the Great lakes I wish they would put more fiberglass in the boats to strengthen the hulls even more....I could care less about a couple of miles an hour....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.