Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Tried going after some big catfish again at metro, havent pulled in anything over 18 inches all season. Tried shrimp AGAIN and caught something other than a cat AGAIN. That makes a gar pike, a couple sheepsheads, and now this bad boy all on shrimp. WHY DONT THE BIG CATS LIKE ME?
We did end up catching a 17 inch cat on crawlers.

Master angler(28.5 inches) and first time for this species.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
LOL try squid!!

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I'm not a cat guy, but don't they eat the stinkiest, oilest, greasiest stuff out there? I've seen catfish Powrbait havn't I? Try some of that stuff.

Nice grinnel though. Alot of people hate on the grinnel, but I like them.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Jul 8 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm not a cat guy, but don't they eat the stinkiest, oilest, greasiest stuff out there? I've seen catfish Powrbait havn't I? Try some of that stuff.

Nice grinnel though. Alot of people hate on the grinnel, but I like them.
Dogfish Jeff, Dogfish. No technical terms here.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Actually the correct name is bowfin, lol. Ive tried the powerbait dough and plastics and havent had any luck. Ive been told that channel cats hit shrimp well, but i havent had any luck yet. Ive usually done well with crawlers in the past but even those arent working very well.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Hey Pelican,
Try at the spillway. Go on the North side shore. Get on the West side of the Jefferson rd. bridge. Cast a glob of worms out into the middle, aim for between the two bridge supports. Set the rod down and put a bell on it. You should get a cat in there.

We use half-3/4 oz. sinker if no rain for a week or more, 1-1.5 if recent rain.
Haven't done it for years, but used to live there at night catching them and everything else.

Storm was telling me you live by him. Shoot me a PM if you would be interested in going out if I'm picking up Storm some time.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havent tried there in a while, never had too much luck. I might have to give it a try. Yeah, its funny, he moved in just down the street from me, lol. Ill give ya a pm if i know im gonna have a free day.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
QUOTE(propwash @ Jul 8 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Pelican,
Try at the spillway. Go on the North side shore. Get on the West side of the Jefferson rd. bridge. Cast a glob of worms out into the middle, aim for between the two bridge supports. Set the rod down and put a bell on it. You should get a cat in there.

We use half-3/4 oz. sinker if no rain for a week or more, 1-1.5 if recent rain.
Haven't done it for years, but used to live there at night catching them and everything else.

Storm was telling me you live by him. Shoot me a PM if you would be interested in going out if I'm picking up Storm some time.

Now that's something I'd be totally up for doing with you. lol A nice catfish trip, and musky casting off the mouth there. My friend Joey asked me a few times already if I had any cats for him, and I told him I haven't fished for them yet. I have the gear, and baits for them, but haven't been out targeting them this year yet. I'd like to soon though. He's not an angler, and I don't prefer catfish, but he LOVES them and so I told him whatever ones I got I'd fillet them for him. I just like the fight they give.

Jimmy, I was laughing hard when you told me you lived literally at the end of the road here.
We definitely have to hook up sometime soon, and tear up Metro together. I haven't fished it in a Long time now. Few months or longer since I last did. lol

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We def need to head out to metro sometime soon Jason.

I think i may try the spillway sometime this week if i get a chance.

And yes, it was released. Although they're supposed to have good tasting flesh, i tend to stay away from most large predatory fish due to higher contamination levels. (plus ive still got over 40 whitebass fillets in the freezer still.) And theres no way i would just kill it like some people would, im a lover of all fish (especially sheepshead!!!!!!!!!
)

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jul 9 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We def need to head out to metro sometime soon Jason.

I think i may try the spillway sometime this week if i get a chance.

And yes, it was released. Although they're supposed to have good tasting flesh, i tend to stay away from most large predatory fish due to higher contamination levels. (plus ive still got over 40 whitebass fillets in the freezer still.) And theres no way i would just kill it like some people would, im a lover of all fish (especially sheepshead!!!!!!!!!
)

I have heard once or twice that they are supposed to be good tasting, but last time I searched, I did not not find any positive reviews. I have a post titled catch and release story which tells of my attempt to eat a bowfin. If I can find a good way to clean them and cook them, I'll post on here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I always wondered why you would want to fish for somthin that cost 8-12$ a plate ( Catfish ) with somthin that costs 16 to 20 dollars a plate (shrimp) ? They like to do that kind of thing in KY, i always figured it was just a ******* thing.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
QUOTE(JOCo @ Jul 9 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I always wondered why you would want to fish for somthin that cost 8-12$ a plate ( Catfish ) with somthin that costs 16 to 20 dollars a plate (shrimp) ? They like to do that kind of thing in KY, i always figured it was just a ******* thing.

you can go to Kroger and get the "special" not so fresh shrimp for $2.99 a lb, which gives you like 20-30 shrimp to fish with

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not sure if you've tried this but the guys that target the giant flatheads around here on the Grand use tailhooked live bluegills anchored on the bottom. They say they are a very efficient predator and the bluegills are the best bait. These guys don't mess around and catch 20-40# fish regularly. I gotta get out with them some night...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts