Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished from 10am till 4:00pm the parking lot shows a good crowd today.and why not ? it`s a beautiful day. no ATV today so i have to hoof it. not even going to bring the gas auger,
with the warm weather all the holes from yesterday are still easy to open up. because i sight fish am bringing the one man clam and just the bear minimum arsenal. the snow and slush is a bear walking through. thank god am a non smoker, because today were breathing pretty hard, taking short breaks about every 100 yards. the ice is still 10" thick, but the slush and crusty snow that you sink into is still 3 ta 4 inch's deep.
Now i go away from the crowd, set up, and don`t see fish for almost an hour.
probably that why nobodies around me. Then the fish finally show up. a lot of dinks and
some keepers, but there hard to get them to bite. wax worms worked the best, don`t jig them, just dead drop with no split shot an set your stop @ 1" off the bottom.
while jigging the secret weapon in the second hole, the fish would either hit that or the wax worm today. but only when it sat there doing nothing.
today i seen what look like small mouth bass a few times chasing the perch out of the hole. did see a small pike or muskie too.
when i hooked fish today that i really did`t want i pull them in real slow, as not to spook the schools away. only a good hook set on the ones i wanted to take home.
no noise today, very few ATVs perfect.
i feel it , march madness maybe here sooner than we want with this warmer weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
QUOTE(yellownitro @ Mar 1 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Mar 1 2010, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I was just south of you, between metro and ginos. Saw some nice ones but didnt do squat.

there were some every bit of 11 " and even bigger and they had the lock jaw ! for sure

Without a doubt. i couldnt even get them to come under the hole enough to spear them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Mar 2 2010, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(John Q. Public @ Mar 1 2010, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Check your regs, perch spearing season is Jan - Feb.

sh*t! Dont know how i missed that one. For some reason i thought it went till March 15th like the walleye closer. Thank God i didnt spear any. Thanks for letting me know!

Don't put that spear away yet... use it on the Pike!!!! at least until the 15th

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
QUOTE(justonce @ Mar 2 2010, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Mar 2 2010, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(John Q. Public @ Mar 1 2010, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Check your regs, perch spearing season is Jan - Feb.

sh*t! Dont know how i missed that one. For some reason i thought it went till March 15th like the walleye closer. Thank God i didnt spear any. Thanks for letting me know!

Don't put that spear away yet... use it on the Pike!!!! at least until the 15th

Im not big on keeping pike. I know they have a different bone structure, and although i have a fillet book that shows how to fillet them, i just havent tried it. If i do try it one day though, it wont be from spearing, seeing as i only have a 6 inch auger. I have enough trouble trying to get the perch back through the hole, lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
[/quote]

Im not big on keeping pike. I know they have a different bone structure, and although i have a fillet book that shows how to fillet them, i just havent tried it. If i do try it one day though, it wont be from spearing, seeing as i only have a 6 inch auger. I have enough trouble trying to get the perch back through the hole, lol.
[/quote]

your missing out on some fine eating. i think most people are turned off by that great pike fragrance. in reality
thay have a very mild flavor and nice firm meat.

have someone show you how to filet one. read a book or theres' even a few videos on you-tube that will show you how to. pretty easy really. you will never be good at it till you make that first cut!!!!!

drilling a few holes and spuding out the centers will give you a nice hole too shoot through.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
QUOTE(fin fur and feathers @ Mar 3 2010, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>your missing out on some fine eating. i think most people are turned off by that great pike fragrance. in reality
thay have a very mild flavor and nice firm meat.

have someone show you how to filet one. read a book or theres' even a few videos on you-tube that will show you how to. pretty easy really. you will never be good at it till you make that first cut!!!!!

drilling a few holes and spuding out the centers will give you a nice hole too shoot through.

Yeah, but that sounds like too much work, lol, just kidding. I might have to give it a try and see how i like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts