Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone caught any catfish or carp by the boat launch area at metro, I've seen people with twenty pound channel cats, but I have had no luck with crawlers or corn. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
im assuming your talking about the boat launch in the back of metro, not the daysail. Ive never seen anyone catch any cats out of there, but the carp are all over. If you go to the other side, to the first dock of the north marina, you should find carp and bigmouth buffalo stacked all over the place. There are also some gar in there, but they're not easy to catch.

Brought two of the neighborhood kids out to fish for them a couple weeks ago, heres one of two that we caught.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Its hard to predict. Its easier to see them when its sunny, but its hard to tell when they're going to bite. I had actually taken them there to go after the gar pike, but this ended up working out instead, lol.

The crawler was just on a hook and bobber.

If you want to catch some catfish, i would recommend fishing at the end of huron pointe. Ill be there today, as long as the storms arent too bad.

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jul 10 2009, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its hard to predict. Its easier to see them when its sunny, but its hard to tell when they're going to bite. I had actually taken them there to go after the gar pike, but this ended up working out instead, lol.

The crawler was just on a hook and bobber.

If you want to catch some catfish, i would recommend fishing at the end of huron pointe. Ill be there today, as long as the storms arent too bad.

Huron Pointe, as in the fishing piers, or at the very tip of the point?

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
That's the place.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
either place. Anywhere from the first pier all the way to the end of the pointe is good fishing. I like to get a dock when i can, but if their full i do just as well in the rocks. Caught around 20 sheepshead and a couple white perch yesterday. Had three big hits on the shrimp, but none of them hooked up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jul 11 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>either place. Anywhere from the first pier all the way to the end of the pointe is good fishing. I like to get a dock when i can, but if their full i do just as well in the rocks. Caught around 20 sheepshead and a couple white perch yesterday. Had three big hits on the shrimp, but none of them hooked up.

How do you keep your bait out of all of the weeds? I always get hung up.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jul 11 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>either place. Anywhere from the first pier all the way to the end of the pointe is good fishing. I like to get a dock when i can, but if their full i do just as well in the rocks. Caught around 20 sheepshead and a couple white perch yesterday. Had three big hits on the shrimp, but none of them hooked up.

What is your setup with the Shrimp? How big of a hook are you using? You have to make sure their is a big space between the hook and the shrimp. I like using the big wide-gap plastic worm hooks for bass fishing.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 12 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Jul 11 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>either place. Anywhere from the first pier all the way to the end of the pointe is good fishing. I like to get a dock when i can, but if their full i do just as well in the rocks. Caught around 20 sheepshead and a couple white perch yesterday. Had three big hits on the shrimp, but none of them hooked up.

What is your setup with the Shrimp? How big of a hook are you using? You have to make sure their is a big space between the hook and the shrimp. I like using the big wide-gap plastic worm hooks for bass fishing.

I forget what size i have right now, but i believe they're just offset j-style hooks. Ive never had problems with hooking up in the past, but i may have to look into using a different kind. I know circle hooks are probably the best bet, but theres just something i dont like about them, not sure why. Plus the circles are usually more expensive, and i spend enough on hooks with all the sh!theads bending and swallowing my hooks, lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts