Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I went out on saturday with only a sheepshead and some white perch to speak of. Havent had much luck with catfish in the last couple weeks. The DNR report says they are catching them at the spillway, but i havent tried there yet. My best luck for cats have been crawlers, but ive also been trying shrimp. So far no cats on the shrimp, but everyone says thats the go-to bait. (the shrimp will get you some monster sheepshead, so atleast you have something to fight)

I would say your best bet at metro would be anywhere from the last marina out to the point. I saw a eater size cat (maybe 17 inches) caught in the canal about half way between the last marina and where the seawall ends. I would either try there or at the end of the point by the fishing docks. Staying after dark is your best bet, but the bugs have been terrible. (not mosquitos just swarms of small flying knat things.) Hopefully once the weather warms the bite will turn on alittle more.

Hope this helps, let us know how you do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Aug 31 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I went out on saturday with only a sheepshead and some white perch to speak of. Havent had much luck with catfish in the last couple weeks. The DNR report says they are catching them at the spillway, but i havent tried there yet. My best luck for cats have been crawlers, but ive also been trying shrimp. So far no cats on the shrimp, but everyone says thats the go-to bait. (the shrimp will get you some monster sheepshead, so atleast you have something to fight)

I would say your best bet at metro would be anywhere from the last marina out to the point. I saw a eater size cat (maybe 17 inches) caught in the canal about half way between the last marina and where the seawall ends. I would either try there or at the end of the point by the fishing docks. Staying after dark is your best bet, but the bugs have been terrible. (not mosquitos just swarms of small flying knat things.) Hopefully once the weather warms the bite will turn on alittle more.

Hope this helps, let us know how you do.

At the mouth of the spillway?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
He's talking within the park itself (Black Creek), not the mouth of the spillway. Those are two different areas about 1-2 miles apart.

·
Registered
164 Posts
U could also try off SANG too... seen quite a few taken off there before... As far as the spillway, there is a deep hole off the deck/dock thing just downstream from jefferson.... Seen a bucnh caught off there when I was hanging out @ harbor club.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Salmonslammer @ Sep 4 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>U could also try off SANG too... seen quite a few taken off there before... As far as the spillway, there is a deep hole off the deck/dock thing just downstream from jefferson.... Seen a bucnh caught off there when I was hanging out @ harbor club.

Anywhere to park a car there, that's not a 20 mile walk to the mouth of the spillway?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
DNR boat ramp right there 100 yards to the north. That's as close as you can park to the spillway. Should be no problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'm not sure what happen to the fish there, but they were gone. My dad and I went out there around 6:30 this morning and stayed out 'till ten, not a single hit! We did snag a spotted goby though. We had 6 rods in the water, all with perch rigs and whole night crawlers. Not even the sheephead would bite, I don't understand.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Fishing hasnt been going very well for me there either. Im not really fishing a whole lot anymore, but it seems like the sheepshead arent biting crawlers as readily as usual. Ive gotten a few on shrimp, but not like usual. White perch are biting a lot more, but are really small.

I just realized, you went to the spillway. Up above is talking about metro. I never have much luck at the spillway, not sure why.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(PelicanKayaker @ Sep 12 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fishing hasnt been going very well for me there either. Im not really fishing a whole lot anymore, but it seems like the sheepshead arent biting crawlers as readily as usual. Ive gotten a few on shrimp, but not like usual. White perch are biting a lot more, but are really small.

I just realized, you went to the spillway. Up above is talking about metro. I never have much luck at the spillway, not sure why.

I also had problems getting snagged on weeds, which they were impossible to see since the waves were making the water cloudy. Lost a couple of rigs.

I did see a guy who caught two small white perch or white bass. (I couldn't really tell from a distance.) He was also using crawlers. Plus, as I was heading to my spot, a guy passed me by carrying two nice sized walleye. Impossible to tell what he was using though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.