Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you BFL boaters would like to enter with me to get "entry priority". I really don't understand the beneifits as this will be my first year as a co-angler, but I see a lot of people in other divisions getting paired up. Let me know soon as I will be registering in a week or so.

Also, since this is my first year, can everyone give me a rough list of what I should and should not bring on tournament day. I normally fish out of my own boat and it is plenty full, so I know I can't bring all my stuff. I don't want to end up without the go-to bait/rod either. Any other tips would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

JS

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
If you sign with a angler/co-angler for the BFL you are guarenteed a spot for which ever you sign up for. Hopefully that makes sense.

As far what to bring, here is my suggestion:

- 4 rods max. The worst thing you can do as a co-angler is bring a boat full of rods. There are many reasons that I could write 5 pages on, but won't. Technically I bet you could get a way with 2 or 3 rods (1 spinning and 1 baitcaster). The hassle of re-tying more often is better than the alternatives.
- 1 normal sized tackle bag. Remember you're only fishing for 1 day not a week. Pick out what you'll need. This doesn't mean you limit your varibility. It just means you don't need to bring a 50pack of every tube color or 10 spinnerbaits that are all the same.
- Rain gear, even if it's not forecast to rain. I've heard horror stories of co-anglers showing up in shorts and a t-shirt because the weather man forcasted temps in the 90's. What they likely forgot about was the 20mph winds that can make for a wet ride as well.
- Food & beverage. A snack or gatorade for you boater will get him on your side as well. I usually have plenty for both me and my co-anglers, but always appreciate the gesture.
- life vest
- $20-$30 for gas
- Leave the handheld GPS at home.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Also, regarding the tackle. Ask your angler the day before some simple questions like..

What are you going to be using?
What should I bring?
What depth will we be fishing at mostly?
Are you fishing struture, flats, fast, or slow?

You don't need to get too hung up on specific sizes and colors, just the basics. Most of the time you don't want to do exactly the same thing anyway. Build your aresnal around that.

Now, I know some guys that will mislead you so that you won't catch "their fish". That's a shame and hopefully these guys are few and far between. My suggestion is if your put in this situation is to simply ask "Hey I thought we were going to be dragging tubes in 20ft all day and I didn't bring my rattletraps for fishing these shallow flats. Mind if I borrow one?" There is know way a guy is going screw you over 2 times.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Deadstick,

Alex has covered it very well, let me say the Michigan Division gets more co-anglers then boaters so as a co-angler you need to sign up with a boater to make sure you get to fish rather then sit on a waiting list.

Most boaters are good people so when you meet them the day before at the meeting ask questions, you can get a feel for the angler from these questions giving you a good idea what to expect while on the water. With the exception of the weather always expect the worst. If an angler is vague and un-willing to answer your questions then I say bring every thing you have and tell him since you didn't know what to bring........well lol sorry but that's me.

And I can't emphasize more Alex's comment "Leave the handheld GPS at home" nothing ticks a boater off faster then to see a co-angler pull one out and start locking in way points. Some get down right hostile about that. (myself included)

Last, when you go to weigh in your required to get your weigh in slip signed by the boater and he needs you to sign his for this reason most anglers are going to make sure you have a good day.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice so far. It seems that the "entry priority" is really to my advantage only. I guess that is going to make it even tougher to be guaranteed a spot. If there is anyone out there that would like to register with me, I wouldn't mind re-paying the favor somehow. I am not going to advertise a dollar amount cause I don't want to "buy" someone's generosity, but I realize there is no advantage to the boater for making this effort. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Also, I really didn't understand what Alex meant by the handheld GPS thing. I have always carried mine as a back-up in case the lowrance quits, but stealing someone's "hotspot" is incredible. I guess some co-anglers probably treat this as a cheap guide trip. Un-real!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
the night before the tournament is the pre meeting and partner pairing.

i always asked the boater what i could bring. i also asked what type of fishing we would be doing, which lake we would be fishing, or would we be fishing the river. and what colors or bait styles he has been catching his fish on.

you have to remember that you are a valuable tool while in your boaters boat. you might be the one who finds exactly where the fish are holding, or what color and/or presentation they want. plus, you will be landing the guys fish ( probably, but you should always ask up front whether or not they prefer to land there own fish or want you to do it), so there is a lot of team work envolved.

though you are not fishing as partners, there is a partnership when tournament fishing for anglers and co-anglers.

i had an absolute blast fishing the bfl last season as a co-angler. i made some good friends, learned alot, and had fun every time i went out ( even stranded in canada with kimmel
) just remember to enjoy yourself!

madman himself

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I'd sign up with you but I already have a co-angler registered with me. Plus I'm likely only going to fish the first event.

Did you get a notice of whether you were confirmed or on a wait list yet?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Confirmations went out this week my co angler and I got ours yesterday

You can also post your need for a boater on the discussion board at the FLW web site FLW/BFL Discussion Board

But I'm sure one of the great guys here will help you out

Hope to see you there

·
Registered
91 Posts
What ever you bring make sure that you don't wait until tournament morning to get your Canadian license or Wapole license because you may find yourself sitting in the back of the boat eating your lunch insted of fishing. I 've had two non-boaters tell me the morning of the tournament that they did'nt have they're license for Canada or Wapole and it really throws a monkey wrench in the the way you want to fish.(my fault for assuming that everyone has one) Both times I changed my plans to try to accomadate the non-boaters because I had fish on both sides of the lake but next time it will be sorry about your luck.
You'll enjoy the BFL's there is some really good fishermen in that circut and its run very well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hey, pay my entry fee and you can fish with me!!!!

Just kidding, I have not decieded yet if I can fish the BFL, but if I do it will only be the first one. I have a new 521 Ranger and I'm not sure about the priority thing at this time. I may be to late.

E-mail me

Ken

·
Registered
188 Posts
I got confirmed for 2 out of the 5 tournaments as a co-angler but didn't register with a boater (this is my first year). Is it possible to get confirmed all the way up until a few days before the tournament due to changes/cancellations of other non-boaters? Just wondering if I should sweat it out or make other plans for tournaments.

Can't wait to meet some of you guys in the BFL!!!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Learn from Madman - make sure your boater partner has strong motor mounts!!! Use a magnifying glass!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is my first year registering for the bfl because I only just turned 16. I registered for the 4 last events, and I signed up early, I have not confirmed on any event yet. Whats the odds of me fishing if I didn't sign up with a boater ?

thanks- Bryan

·
Registered
927 Posts
and if you cant fully check the motor mount, at least be sure the boater has enough cash to float you a chicken sandwich and a coke from MacDonalds. it also helps if he has connections with Bishop Transportation Services

madman himself

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Amen Brother madman!

bryfish90,
Try to find a boater on these pages or at the BFL forum. Getting in early will help you, but there often are more co-anglers than boaters, so it depends on how many other co-anglers entered earlier than you without a boater guarantee.

Find a boater who enters all the tournaments you have before the priority entry deadline and have them put your name down and you will get to fish if your boater fishes. Very simple. No more worries. You can just fish.

I try to hook guys up when I can. Haven't been contacted by any boaters this year yet looking for co-anglers. A boater has good reason to get a co-angler because it seems like every other year or so, we end up with a couple extra boaters. Unguaranteed boaters end up drawn boater-boater. Not good.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have fished the BFL (back when it was RED MAN) as a non-baoter.let me tell ya there are SOME winners out there. Most of us that fish as non-boaters have a boat or did.I have some really BAD stories about boaters back dooring,wanting $50.00 for gas for a 2 mile run,and trying to beat your fish to death(making the ride back rough) because you out fished them from the back of the boat.
I take my handheld gps and lock in the launch pryor to the tournament(never know something could happen to the boater and you may have to drive their @ss back) sometimes the boater may be in an area close to a spot that I may be on fish and they will ask you.then I`ll turn it on for the waypoint.But only if they ask!!!
Most of the boaters are nice,but there is a handfull,If you get backdoored or treated with the most disrespect then DO NOT sign his weigh-in slip and file your protest with the tournament director pryor to your flight weight-in.(your money is just as green)
I bet the next time he draws a partner,he will be more considerate.
Minamize everything you take,remember the lakes we fish are rather easy.(no bluffs) Alex is correct with a few rods,rain gear,beverages,and vienna sausages for the boater(lol)
Have fun but keep it simple!!!

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
Hey Dan, Madman and the rest of you all.

I have a buddy who contacted me the otherday. He wants to try the BFL this year and was told by the BFL that he should sign-up with a boater if he wants to be garrenteed in.

If any BFL boater is out there who would be willing to sign-up with him he would greatly appreciate it.

Just reply to the thread with and e-mail addy or contact me.

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts