Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im from Windsor, and am planning on purchasing a Michigan fishing license mainly so I can go bass fishing a couple months earlier.

If anyone could answer these questions I would appreciate it

1. Is the fishing license the only thing needed when crossing into US waters and fishing?
(I know I can't dock or anything without documentation, but strictly for fishing out of my boat)

2. Any web links to the Michigan fishing regulations?
Curious what date exactly the bass season opens - closes, costs for out of country licenses

Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
QUOTE(Basser56 @ Jan 5 2010, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im from Windsor, and am planning on purchasing a Michigan fishing license mainly so I can go bass fishing a couple months earlier.

If anyone could answer these questions I would appreciate it

1. Is the fishing license the only thing needed when crossing into US waters and fishing?
(I know I can't dock or anything without documentation, but strictly for fishing out of my boat)

2. Any web links to the Michigan fishing regulations?
Curious what date exactly the bass season opens - closes, costs for out of country licenses

Thanks.

i'm computer stupid but you can google the michigan dnr . you can find the answer to question 2 there

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Here's the link to the Michigan Fishing Guide

Here's a link additional DNR Info

As for documentation to have with you when crossing over by boat I'd have driver's lic. & birth certificate just in case. A passport would be nice to have as well.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jan 5 2010, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but as of June, 2009, I believe a passport is required for travel across the border between Canada and the USA.

not if he boats over and does not make landfall.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Don't buy your license until April 1st. For someone reason our DNR thinks that's a good way to run the system. I like the Canadian system, new year=new license. So don't buy your license until April or you just wasted money.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
QUOTE(little guy @ Jan 5 2010, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jan 5 2010, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but as of June, 2009, I believe a passport is required for travel across the border between Canada and the USA.

He also cannot anchor or tie-off to another vessel.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Jan 5 2010, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't buy your license until April 1st. For someone reason our DNR thinks that's a good way to run the system. I like the Canadian system, new year=new license. So don't buy your license until April or you just wasted money.

I agree!!! That is the dumbest crap we do!!!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(PWood @ Jan 6 2010, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(little guy @ Jan 5 2010, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jan 5 2010, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but as of June, 2009, I believe a passport is required for travel across the border between Canada and the USA.

He also cannot anchor or tie-off to another vessel.

I do beleive you can anchor now if you are fishing.....

Make sure you get the proper documentation showing the laws, dont trust what you read here on the internet.....carry said documentation with you!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Isn't there some restrictions on where any live bait was bought vs. where it's being used

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Jan 5 2010, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't buy your license until April 1st. For someone reason our DNR thinks that's a good way to run the system. I like the Canadian system, new year=new license. So don't buy your license until April or you just wasted money.

Actually he can buy it as early as March 1st as that's when the new license goes on sale. Per the DNR's website: Your fishing license is valid from March 1 of a given year through March 31 of the following year.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
QUOTE(Zib @ Jan 6 2010, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Jan 5 2010, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't buy your license until April 1st. For someone reason our DNR thinks that's a good way to run the system. I like the Canadian system, new year=new license. So don't buy your license until April or you just wasted money.

Actually he can buy it as early as March 1st as that's when the new license goes on sale. Per the DNR's website: Your fishing license is valid from March 1 of a given year through March 31 of the following year.

I didn't know that. But, it's still stupid!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(EagleLarry @ Jan 6 2010, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Isn't there some restrictions on where any live bait was bought vs. where it's being used

I am not sure about bringing in bait from Canada to the US (I assume it is illegal since the VHS) but I do know that you cannot bring livebait into Canada from the US.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Jan 5 2010, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't buy your license until April 1st. For someone reason our DNR thinks that's a good way to run the system. I like the Canadian system, new year=new license. So don't buy your license until April or you just wasted money.

DNR does this because of when the last day of the last hunting season(rabbit, squirrel now runs until March 1st). Seasons have changed in recent years, but it was always run that way to keep all licenses on one schedule. As far as buying that license, I'd wait until April 1st if your intention is to cross over to bass fish, why waste the money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.