Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the torunament director of the Michigan Bass Federation (Doug Phillips) and the President (Dennis Beltz) Have undoubtly reach their level of incomptence.

Today the first day of the State Championship. My Wife (Sharon Leonardi) and her partner (Name Not Given) broke down on their way back to the weighin at the mouth of the Detroit River.

They placed a call to the torunament director at approximently 4:00 (16:00) to explain that they need assistenance and would he please make an announcement and or contact my wife's partner son to let him know they were broke down. Of course this was only after the tournament director told them to find their own way back. It was made clear to them that no such announcement would be made.

They made a second call and this time they reached the president of the federation and his only concern was they would not be able to weigh-in their fish.

Much to my surprise I received a call expaining the situation so I rushed home from work to rescue them. It took some time to find them but we did get them back to shore. (5:30)

Now dig this, the president of the federation fishes the BFL and he knows darn well that another competitor can bring in fishermen and their catch in this type of situation and this is pretty much a standing rule in all major tournaments to include BASS, you know the one everyone is fishing to qualifying for in this tournament. Now you would think the tournament director would know this. So I guess you have to ask yourself are these guys kidding me or are they that ignorant and did they just bump their heads.

Now here is the real kicker. WHEN IN THE HECK WERE THEY GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE STRANDED FISHERMEN AND THEIR BOAT? WHAT IF I WAS NOT AROUND? WHAT IF THIS TOURNAMENT WAS HELD ON THE GRAND OR MUSKEGEON AND THEY WERE STUCK OUT ON LAKE MICHIGAN OR FOR THAT MATTER THE BODY OF WATER THEY WERE FISHING, LAKE EIRE? WOULD WE SIMPLY HAVE TO WAIT FOR A CALL FROM OHIO, NEWYORK, PENNSYLVANIA OR CANADA? COME ON GUYS YOU HAVE TO DO BETTER THIS, THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE.

Larry Leonardi

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yep, I was there, and it was pretty pathetic. My buddy also broke down, and Doug told him he and his partner had to return to weigh-in in the same boat they left the launch in. Obviously, the tournament staff didn't understand BASS rules.

It was by far the worst run State Championships I've ever seen. By the way, how many times did the tournament director use the phrase "mongolian [email protected]#$%" (or some variation of that) on stage? That really reflects well on the Federation.

Would it really have been that hard to say "Would (insert name) please come to the weigh-in trailer", relay a message?

Too bad the Federation discussion board is down......

No doubt this thread will likely be deleted.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The thread probably should be deleted, esp if those that think this was all the Directors fault. Being a Ex- Coastguardsman on Erie and a tournament angler, it is common practice and my responsibility for my safety and that of my partner. I have several other friends and we "all" leave a set of keys with our tow vehicles for this very reason and we all know the location, not so the tournament director can get us, but so we can help each other if a towing and portaging of the vehicle is needed to the closest launch where we "broke" down. If we always intended to be picked up and brought in this wouldn't be needed. I think if safety was a issue the coastguard was closer, and within reach of these anglers, if counting the fish was the real issue, as I am sure it "really" is that is a different story. I know Doug puts safety first and know of situations within his own trail where help through himself and fellow anglers was granted............ Don't blame the director, not on this thread.....

Nick Neves

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't think believe director was asked to go rescue this person, only make a quick announcement so this boater's son (who was also a competitor) could get back in the water and get him. Do you think a quick announcement was too much to ask?

I'm not trying to place all of the blame on Doug, but it was his decision. I know you're friends with him, but if you had been there and seen how things were run you might have a different opinion. The way some situations were handled was very unprofessional in my opinion. Some of the comments made on stage speak for themselves.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I wasnt there yesterday but I was today. The talk I heard was that a boat was asking for asssitance in getting back to shore during the weigh-in. It is not the tournament directors responsibility to make such arrangements especially while calling weights in the biggest tournament the Federation has had in LONG time. BUT if all that it required was an announcement it should have been done.

As far as transporting the fish via another boat that are intended to be weighed-in has to be done in a competitor's boat that has had their livewells checked. I read in the MCBF State Championship Rules that in emergency situations that it becomes the Tournament Comittees decision. I think that is done incase you are brought in by helicopter you would still have the ability to weigh your fish. Dount laugh it happend on Erie and teh guy won big bass with the one fish he decided to weigh-in.

This thread wont be deleted, it's Larry's opinion. I am not saying I agree with what he said, but I still havent talked to him about it so I cannot make many more comments.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Folks,

The bottom line to all of this and my real heartburn with it is not the fact that someone could or could not weight-in their fish. It is what I have simply stated in the last paragraph of my first write-up.

Feel free to email me at: [email protected] if you feel the need to do so.

Larry L.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doug you need more help! I was there Friday standing right by the trailer watching the tournament members putting there numbers in the boxes, and I was watching for our club membes, Michigan Bassin Bums and Babes to come in off the lake and one didn't come in yet after all the boxes were pulled, which the lady whom was in the trailer asked me to pull the boxes for her, and ask me to answer the phone for her, and the first time that the phone rang the gentleman that answered it told them that they had to find there own way in and that Doug couldn't page anybody, the second time I answered the phone and they said could not get the engine going and needed help, then some guy took the phone from, and said there is nothing they could do, then the lady who was in the trailer asked me did I see Sharon yet and I said no, so I went to talk to my team members and they said they haven't seen her yet either, so I ask the gentleman that was in the trailer if we could please check the numbers on the cell phone, so I could call from my cell phone to see if it was
Sharon,( I DID NOT USE YOR CELL PHONE DOUG AND I WAS NOT MAKING CALLS FROM YOUR PHONE) I always have my cell phone on me. So when I found it was Sharon that was broke down on the lake I asked the guy whom was in the trailer were did they say they were broke down he told me about 1 to 2 miles out there, and that was it, I called her husband and he told me that he got them, I picked the guy up brought him to his trailer, and then went back to the Harrison Launch to talk to Sharon, That is pretty pitaful that you all don't have a emergency boat out there just in case your tournament members break down like that. Our club isn't the bigest but our opening sure is alot more oranganize then yours was Doug, and if you would like me to email my cell phone bill when it comes in to proof to you that I didn't use your dang phone I will.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK it's my turn,

Let's not get away from the topic.... I was the one stuck out there...I understand all the arguments.... Doug, YOU are busy- YES.... your phone is a courtesy call only. But it was my understanding that he had a microphone on stage, then SHUT IT OFF and told us he couldn't simply page my boaters son (Boat #6 info given). That simply shows no concern for the safety of your competitors-- THATS WHY I pulled out from Sat fishing.

We had an hour to get back to the launch...we were more than the mile or two (that somebody thought) -we were at Grosse Pt yacht club and floating south- I was not concerned with weighing my fish.. I had already resigned that I should have to disqualify myself (STUPID BUT HONEST) when I got in because my boater started the big motor before I could get my lifevest on- (he was drifting onto shallow rocks)- Yes he would have liked to weighed his limit.--by trying to get another competitors boat on shore -with empty livewells to come back out and get us.- BASS RULES. If you had some help, they could have checked the livewells and accomplished this.. My partner might have been able to make it. I realize the comittee has final say BUT we ran into brick wall when just after 4:00, Dennis told us that we couldn't weigh fish-- WE STILL HAD ALMOST A HOUR TO GET IN.

YES it was his fault that my boater ran out of oil and did not carry an additional gallon onboard-especially running to ERIE. Plus he didn't know his equipment. AND it was unacceptable for him throw something at Bernadette.( did you feel a little protective of your wife?)

Yes Doug, you do need more help..(YOU BOTH WORK YOU TAILS OFF) People you can TRUST to check livewells. HECK for that matter..JUST An idea>>> have the non boaters check the livewell of the boater... we ARE fishing AGAINST each other RIGHT---maybe issue each non boater the yellow tie--- (WE ALL ARE NOT LIARS an CHEATS)
ONE PERSON CHECKING 138 livewells is unbelieveable!

AND you are wrong when you told me SAT. that "more help just means more confusion"-

You should have had more help-- MUCH LESS STRESS ON YOU...and yes I am concerned for your health too! I am sure that there are a LOT of fishermen that would bend over backward to help IF you asked.

I showed up Sat afternoon to show support for my club AND lend any assistance I could to you. While checking the standings, I was confronted by you about Larry's post.. I have no control over him- he has his own feelings. How would you have felt if it was Bernadette stuck out on the lake and Larry was running the show? Probably pretty fustrated- I was also confronted by Bernadette telling me you were busy and the was NOT THE TIME--- I had NO intention of talking about Friday, IT WAS OVER- YOU confronted ME.

BOTTOM LINE--- anytime I can lend help to you, OR ANY OTHER TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR OUT THERE...all you need to do is call...my email address is [email protected] --- we all need to take care of all the fishermen--- THEY SUPPORT THIS FEDERATION

THIS ISSUE IS OVER---LETS ALL TRY TO LEARN FROM IT!

SHARON

·
Registered
718 Posts
Interesting and opinionated, this makes the world go around!

#1 (Doug) Are you in danger? (Team) No! we just want to weigh our fish.

At the meeting the night prior, I stated that if you're in trouble call the Coast Guard or Sherrif, call me "ONLY" as a courtesy to let me know that you're going to be late or you've called for a resuce. I can't help you as I have "NO" way to help!

Federation rules state the use of a cell phone is prohibited unless it is a emergency! Once again, (Doug) Are you in "DANGER" (TEAM) NO! Team usage of the cell violates a rule. Disqualified!!!!!

#2 Prior to the so called earth shattering issue, my cell battery was drained because of boats that were broke down and individuals had requested that we relay messages to their club people. A competent team would have all their teams numbers to handle their "NON-EMERGENCY" business! Which, once again violates a FEDERATION RULE! Not a So called incompitant Director.

#3 I am implimenting Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation Rules and way of doing business, NOT B.A.S.S., BFL, EVERSTART or any other "Perfectly" run tournament! You want change? You change rules! Don't change rules in the middle of a tournament to benifit you or your club! Enforcing rules is what I was hired to do! I don't care who or what you are, Nobody and I mean nobody gets treated differently!

#4 It is "NOT" my responsiblilty to ensure "ALL" the rigs are properly maintained! YOU STATED THAT YOU WERE NEVER IN DANGER!!!!!!

#5 Under Staffed????? A Supervisor to a work force is responsible for 1 to 50 or even more Grown individuals, My sons classroom has 28 kids. We had 276 ANGLERS and we had 14 staff members, less than 20 per staff person. We weighed 968 fish, processed 276 Anglers weight in 125 miniutes that day! Are you implying that you need more staff?

#6 The only way other than a fellow competitor could do a boat switch would be for me to do a complete boat check. The Federations rules state that the livewell must be able to sustain 10 not 20 fish, this is an interesting dilema for a team that has fish. Even if another competitor were to go back out, I must stop the weigh in and do a complete boat check. Take the time to check a boat and possibly kill many fish? Where is the logic? Kill many fish to ensure someone who didn't properly maintain there boat has "Special Treatment". Ownership of the fish are the Anglers not the Tournament Director, an Angler gets penalized for not properly maintaining there fish. I provide the teams with tanks, pumps and solution to help them in keeping "THEIR" catch alive. I can't give them a tool and then take it away, time is their tool. The quicker the fish get back to the lake the less mortality we have, and yes there always will be some sort of a kill. The better an Angler feels about his or her day if we help them do a successful release.

#6 Protecting my wife! Yes, she did nothing have something thrown in her face and by the way...Was Larry at the meeting? Was he a participant in the tournament? Who has formulated an off based opinion without being at the event? Who is protecting who? How many big tournaments has the fellow club member who has decided to post her opinion participated in? Or has she just fished small club tournaments that "You" seeked my advise on! Little tournaments are run entirely different than bigger tournaments!

Mongolian @#!$#&$*????? I had no idea the Mongolian Cluster Puck that's right the letter "P" in the front, was offensive. I don't condone or participate in the filthy language. I will delete Mongolian from my vocabulary as I know know it offeds someone.

Many half truths have been stated! I have very thick skin! I understand that an angler will fight the fight till they feel they have mustered support for their cause. I have rules that I must adhere to, this factual! Muster all you have to, but it is you who are to blame! If you don't like a rule, vote on a change! Once again, I can't change them!

Let the thread go as long as you want! I will post no more as I have the rules and the truth on my side! More people came to me and shared personal thoughts of the situation and many said they wouldn't want to do what we do! "EVERY" tournament has problems, this being the largest tournament that Michgan B.A.S.S. Chapter has had, of course there will be new ground to go over. So there was a few problems, we will work on our thoughts on rectifing issues with the Board of Directors and hopefully the "VERY FEW" anglers will work on treating people as people, not something to kick when they have things go wrong in th"their" day!

In addition, I would never complain about the morning check in! This is the best part of the tournament, yes, the best part. I get to speak one on one with most of the anglers and welcome them to the tournament. I had many staff guys wanting to do the check in but only a few times was there a back up. I am not affraid to work! I could also do the check in on the water but, many guys that are affaid to ask a question in front of people could'nt get an answer to something they find puzzleing.

As far as the confussion on the Anglers part of not knowing about the box's in front of the stage, I went over it at the Thursday night meeting and in the morning meeting. I can't make anyone listen, they are bound for failure if they can't pay attention for just a little while. I can't fix their problem! Why do we have the anglers come to the trailer with their plate? In every tournament known to man, there has been a case where someone claims they were on shore yet they were never checked in. MY WAY OF DOING BUSINESS ENSURES WE REACT QUICKLY IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY OR LATE BOAT!

Doug

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just a quick question, but why can't one of your "staff" do a boat check?

Also, if a competitor (and his partner) gets a ride back to weigh-in in another competitor's boat, would it be legal according to MBCF rules? Livewell space really isn't an issue here. I've seen it many times where someone gets a ride in (and leaves their boat anchored somewhere) and carries their fish in one of the Bag-em weigh bags. As long as they make it back on time, it should be perfectly legal.

As for the Mongolian @#$# comment--it didn't offend me. The reason I brought it up is because no fewer than 3 people near me made a comment like "did he just say that?" Whatever you said, it didn't sound like a letter "P" to them.

I'm all for being a stickler to the rules--trust me!! But there seemed to be a lot of confusion (last minute meetings, etc...). I would have made the same call you did regarding the guys who didn't have their plates in the box on time Friday. That had to be done. But, it is also a possibility that they never got the message about the morning meeting passed down the boat line in the parking lot. There should be no exceptions, but there should be a better way to notify everyone of a last minute meeting.

You may have 20 staff members, but it sounds like you're the only one allowed to do anything (check livewells in the morning, boat checks for rescues, phone calls.....) Why not delegate the livewell checks to 4-5 staff members in the morning, and have someone handle check-ins in a designated check in boat to alleviate congestion at docks?

No doubt about it, I wouldn't want to do your job. But it is something you have chosen to do. Sure there will be people who get under your skin, but pull them off to the side instead of arguing with the mic on while you're on stage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry about that last thing.

#1. BASS and the FLW only provide chase boats when the competitors use sponsor provided boats.

#2. Both curcuits allow contestents to bring in their catch in another contestents boat, under strick rules. The downed boat must be left or towed. It is the anglers responsibility to arrange this.

#3. Cell phones can not used to improve your position. Emergencies only! You can not call somebody to come and get you and your fish.
(flag down another competitor and ask for help).

#4. If an angler is in a life theating situation first call is to the Coast Guard or Sheriff (numbers were provided by the tournament director) after you are no longer in danger call the Tournament Director and let him know before he calls the Coast Guard and Sheriff to search for a missing competitor.

#5. At the next level the Northern Divisional each Federation is responsible to provide back up boats they must be checked and insurance on file. That is the alternates and presidents job to get a boat to a team member and pick up the broken boat. That is why the alternate shares in the prize money.

#6. Doug is hired by the federation to run our events and enforce our rules. We the board are elected by the membership if you what changes get them to your elected presidents so that they can be introduced at a meeting.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I write these comments as an angler with a great concern of our Federations image.
I would like to begin with an apologize to all Federation anglers , spouse , children and Federation
sponsors.

I feel that is important to say we as an organization made many mistakes with this years
State Championship. Some mistakes were due to being unprepared for an event of this magnitude.
Some were completely out of the control by the Board , Tournament Chairman and the Tournament Director.

Know that the Federation will being using this as a way to improve and corrected problems that
arose from this years State tournament

Many of the comments I have read above need to be addressed.
Larry's comments in the 1st thread were about why the Tournament Director did not sent help to a
boat in distress.

As Pres. Beltz stated above Director Phillips made it clear to all anglers at the Thurs. night mandatory meeting that on the boat starting number plates were labeled listing the Sheriffs and
Coast Guard phone numbers. If they were to be a problem with any boat the boaters needed to call these numbers.

The Tournament Directors phone number was to be called only
to let the staff know the status of the boat NOT FOR HELP.

I don't know why a message could not have been relayed to the riders son.
I think this was only common sense and should have been done under our good sportsmanship and Ethics code.

All that should have been said was please call the numbers on your start # card for assistance on the water.

The cell # listed should not be answed by the Tournament Directors but a staff person assigned to record the
phone messages. The director can't answer phones and conduct the weigh -in at the same time.

As for the comment about being disqualified for using the cell phone even though the boat was
not in immediate danger (a remark which holds no merit at all.)

A boat that is not capable of running it's main motor ( does not matter why) is in an emergency situations.

Maybe it's not in danger now , but anything may happen.
The boat could be swamped by larger boats wake, it could be washed onto the shore rocks or one of the persons on board could suffer a medical condition while in this waiting time.

For someone to think that the use of a phone in this case is a violation of the phone rule and should
be grounds for disqualification shows a lack of good thought. I hope this was only said out of a case
of being over criticized.

Next the comment about other trails allowing fish to brought in by another boat to a weigh-in and
that this is a BASS rule or FLW does it does not matter.

The Federation has its own written rules. One is that the boat you leave in you must return in or the boat is DQ'd.
Many trails use this rule ( Ex. NBAA) .PERSONS SHOULD to read the rules before making off the cuff comments.

As for the person who threw something at Bernadette. This is a major violations of Federation Sportsmanship's ethic code.

The angler needs to be brought before the board of directors and
A trial needs to be conducted. He should be given a chance to response to his conduct.
If found guilty of the offence he should be banned from the State Championship for some years
or removed from the Federation and possibly banned for life from B.A.S.S.
This can not be tolerated.

The words Mongolian Cluster P. were misspoken at least one time at the banquet. It was unfortunate
but I'm sure it was only a slip of the lip. After all if you talk as long as Doug did something can easily
slip out. I'm sure that a lesson has been learned and will not happen again.

The comment about needing more help is a very good one.

The Director should not have to do it all.
Livewell checks need to be done by staff. The directors place is at the trailer not in the parking lot
or even in the blast off boat.
This can and should be done by staff.
In the past the Federation has asked for volunteers from clubs to help work the tournaments. This needs to be done again.

Wouldn't have been nice to have some trucks or golf carts driving the anglers through the parking
lot to weigh-in their fish?

And NO MORE running up boat card #. Lets go back to a check in person and a time keeper. The most dangerous time for boaters
are getting in and out of a boat.
Earlier one angler fell and I saw many riders jumping on to the docks from too long a distance, just to run up a card!
Plus it tied up the ramp for much to long. This was a BAD IDEA !!!
The other way worked great for over 30 years…..why change now?
The rule needs to be KISS……..KEEP IT SIMPLE SUCKER

At the pre-meeting ,instructions about the morning meeting need to be announced clearly or better yet IN WRITING.
Many riders thought that they did not need to come early to ramp. Several came the second day just after 6:00 A.M. as they did the 1st day and were removed from fishing that day.

At the banquet anglers were told to be at the ramp at 6:00AM
not at a meeting at 6:00 AM

The State Championship is the most important event the Federation conducts.

We need to make it an experience that our members can enjoy. In short we must make it more angler friendly.
It should be as easily as possible for the anglers not the most convenient for the officials.

The Federation serves the membership not the other way around.

Any constructive comments should be directed to all your board members.
Speak out and let the board know what it needs to do to better .

Thank you to all our Federation Anglers.
MY THOUGHTS
Paul Sacks
Federation member since 1993 ( 10 great years )

·
Registered
19 Posts
Paul,

Well written. I agree that we need to learn from these many errors and improve upon them for the future. The state fish off can be one of the most enjoyable tournaments of the year. What we need to do is learn from the past and combine that with what we know today on how to run tournaments.

There were many things that I disagree with that occured this past weekend, but a couple stand out.

1) The whole issue of what was actually said in the statement "mongolian cluster #@%#". Whether Doug used the letter "P" in front of that is irrelevant. What is pertinent is how at the meeting we discussed how there would be plenty of non fishing spectators at the weigh in and around the ramp and on the water. We were asked to conduct ourselves in a professional manner in every aspect throughout the tournament. What I witnessed throughout the pre-tournament meeting,weigh in, and post tournament meeting definately did not accomplish this goal. That remark was one of many that made the event look unproffesional. Remember it is not always what is said or done, but rather how it is perceived. I would of personally not wanted family or friends to witness this event because of the perception that they might of had. Who knows what the rest of the on lookers thought?

2) I agree with Paul on the issue of safety when it came to the call the tournament committe received. An unsafe condition could be a multitude of things which only begins when the big motor won't fire. I stood less than ten feet away from the cell phone when the call came in. Not once did anyone ask the boater if he had contacted the sheriff or coast guard. Instead instantly the focus switched to whether or not the catch would be allowed and how it was not the staff's responsibility to make a courtesy announcement to possibly protect someones safety. Besides would it not be better if the competitors son or club member's could go and retrieve him instead of possibly taking the emergency authorities away from the many other calls they probably receive a day. Sometimes you need to think about decisions before making a quick one in error. I agree Doug was very busy at the weigh in, that is why extra help would have been vital when trying to deal with problems like this when they arise.

3) I also agree with Paul on the issue of something being thrown at Bernadette. This should be addressed after investigating it further. Once again let's not make a quick judgement until we understand all the surrounding facts. If it is true then yes some sort of punishment is necessary. This is just another example of a perception that we don't need for on lookers to have towards our great sport. That is why in an earlier thread I thought it was well stated how the conversation/arguement between the tournament director and one of the competitors should have been done off to the side and not in front of the stage and in front of hundreds of on lookers. Not a good image for us to portray as a competitor or staff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree very much with the last couple of posts.
One more issue is the fish holding tanks after they were weighed-in. Two tanks were not enough to hold all those fish. It's a good thing those two young boys showed up to release the fish. The aeration was also not adaquate. A couple more tanks that were well aerated would have helped. I know that there will always be dead fish after release, but the amount of floaters was unreal. You could stand infront of the weigh-in trailer and count dozens of them in the water.

Despite some of the problems, I had a great experience fishing the state championship, even though I didn't catch a lot of fish. Congradulations to the guys who made the team.

I'll see everyone at the next fish-off, wherever it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am not a Federation member... I have considered joining, but have decided (in the past) that I would be better served by other circuits and/or clubs. Here is my impression from what I've read above.

1) Several boats broke down (or had other issues) and didn't pay attention to the Federation Rules on how to proceed in this situation....The tournament director certainly didn't help the situation (he should have made sure one of his staff followed up on stranded angler recovery).

2) Paul Sacks, your comments were well stated (although, I may not agree with all of them) and speak well of the Federation.

3) Doug Phillips, judging by your response you are in the wrong business!!!

I've been fortunate enough to fish in a number of different circuits around this country, some good, some great, some definitely in need of improvement (most of those no longer exist).

One thing that all the best circuits have in common is a GREAT TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR!!! Someone with the courage and intestinal fortitude to disqualify the best (and most well known) angler(s) on the circuit for a minor rules infraction. Someone with the ability to delegate authority among the tournament staff. Someone who makes sure that everything runs smoothly, regardless of the situation. Someone who deals (in a professional and respectful manner) with any and all setbacks that may occur. And last but not least someone with the class and the sense of responsibility not to let emotions respond in the manner you did on this board....Doug Phillips you did a dis-service to the Federation with your response!!!

Just my $0.02

djd

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wasn't there, but I have plenty of experience in those situations where you get stranded on the water. These experiences are from my breakdowns, or assisting someone. Any time you are on the great lakes without power, you are in danger in my opinion. This time of year, you can't predict when a thunderstorm will blow up, especially on Erie. So you'd be in danger not being under power. Calling to ask someone to page the son of thenon boater isn't asking much. While my interpretation of danger is my own opinion, what I've found is you won't get a coast guard tow unless you are in their belief of danger. So you are left to contact a tow service. Instead, what I've read is that the broken down vessel asked the director to page someone so they could set up retrieval. Takes two seconds to page, and then you can move on with the weigh in. All the drivel at the pre tournament meetings won't mean spit if someone gets hurt....and based upon what I've seen in the past year from Bass and Walleye tournaments, that is going to happen. Again, as someone said, most of those misteps can be traced to the director. Sorry if it steps on toes. A simple page from the stage is not too much to ask. What would you have done if one of those guys in the boat had some (god forbid)medical emergency while adrift???And you had cut them off on the phone earlier.....

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Bottom line....mistakes were made and it only proves one thing....we are all human.

Lets all learn from this, take notes now while it is all fresh in your mind and then bring them to the first presidents meeting.

That being said, lets all be CONSTRUCTIVE about this and try to make the whole thing better as a result.

Mini

1 - 20 of 34 Posts