Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard it this morning, starting Tuesday, September 30, Michigan will start to enforce a new blood alcohol content.

Mich. Lowers Drunk-Driving Standard

Beginning Sept. 30, Michigan's blood-alcohol standard for drunk driving drops from 0.10 percent to 0.08 percent, the Associated Press reported July 17.

Gov. Jennifer Granholm signed into law a new standard that measures grams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood, 210 liters of breath, or 67 liters of urine.

The penalties in force under the state's 0.10 standard remain the same for the new limit.

Because the new law meets the federal blood-alcohol content requirement, Michigan avoids losing thousands in federal highway funds.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Luckily, this new law does not apply to me, since I'm usually blowin' between .15 and .20.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
My opinion may not be the popular opinion, but I am not happy about the change of this law. It penalizes social drinkers. By doing this, if I have 1 glass of wine I am legally drunk, due to my height and weight. The new law is not hurting the alcoholics that drink yager all night then drive, it hurts people like me who now won't be able to have 1 glass of wine while out with some friends.
Public Transportation and easily available taxi's are what we need. If we lived in ANY other major city in the country, we would have public transportation and readily available taxi services, but no, we live in the only city that doesn't have it. All the law makers are concerned with is more laws with higher fines. Just like MADD, they sit in the court rooms, putting pressure on judges to stiffen fines and penalties, instead of trying to implement ways to make taxis, subways, buses, etc, more easily available for people who are too drunk to drive. People aren't going to stop drinking.
Another reason why I did NOT vote for Jenny.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Sep 25 2003, 09:42 AM)My opinion may not be the popular opinion, but I am not happy about the change of this law. It penalizes social drinkers. By doing this, if I have 1 glass of wine I am legally drunk, due to my height and weight. The new law is not hurting the alcoholics that drink yager all night then drive, it hurts people like me who now won't be able to have 1 glass of wine while out with some friends.
Public Transportation and easily available taxi's are what we need. If we lived in ANY other major city in the country, we would have public transportation and readily available taxi services, but no, we live in the only city that doesn't have it. All the law makers are concerned with is more laws with higher fines. Just like MADD, they sit in the court rooms, putting pressure on judges to stiffen fines and penalties, instead of trying to implement ways to make taxis, subways, buses, etc, more easily available for people who are too drunk to drive. People aren't going to stop drinking.
iT'S popular by me....totally agree! Hmmm....I can't have one drink with friends cuz I'm a fall down drunk now <_<
I hope she gets pulled over for drinking and driving and it's taped
I had said the same thing to my husband earlier when we were reading about it in the paper.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
on the radio today Dominski and Doyle had people calling in about dangerous things they've done while drunk..
some guy called in, who used to be a big time alchohoic... I forget what happened to him, but he had a .56 BAC. most people would be nearly dead by then.

·
Registered
165 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Sep 25 2003, 08:42 AM)My opinion may not be the popular opinion, but I am not happy about the change of this law. It penalizes social drinkers. By doing this, if I have 1 glass of wine I am legally drunk, due to my height and weight. The new law is not hurting the alcoholics that drink yager all night then drive, it hurts people like me who now won't be able to have 1 glass of wine while out with some friends.
Hey Moneyshot!! We'll miss you on Friday, have fun with the euchre.
I did a little web surfing, found the following website:

Blood Alcohol Calculator

According to this website, if Moneyshot is 120# (give or take), she could have 3 glasses of wine in an hour (a pretty strong pace for social drinking), or 4 glasses over 2 hours, and still be below .08 . My big body could have 6 beers in two hours and be fine. So looks like the true social drinkers are ok, unless you are using a 15 ounce wine glass!!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Sep 25 2003, 08:42 AM)My opinion may not be the popular opinion, but I am not happy about the change of this law. It penalizes social drinkers. By doing this, if I have 1 glass of wine I am legally drunk, due to my height and weight. The new law is not hurting the alcoholics that drink yager all night then drive, it hurts people like me who now won't be able to have 1 glass of wine while out with some friends.
This is why I bought a Big Red Bus no dui's here

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(BigTree @ Sep 25 2003, 07:55 PM)QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Sep 25 2003, 08:42 AM)My opinion may not be the popular opinion, but I am not happy about the change of this law. It penalizes social drinkers. By doing this, if I have 1 glass of wine I am legally drunk, due to my height and weight. The new law is not hurting the alcoholics that drink yager all night then drive, it hurts people like me who now won't be able to have 1 glass of wine while out with some friends.
Hey Moneyshot!! We'll miss you on Friday, have fun with the euchre.
I did a little web surfing, found the following website:

Blood Alcohol Calculator

According to this website, if Moneyshot is 120# (give or take), she could have 3 glasses of wine in an hour (a pretty strong pace for social drinking), or 4 glasses over 2 hours, and still be below .08 . My big body could have 6 beers in two hours and be fine. So looks like the true social drinkers are ok, unless you are using a 15 ounce wine glass!!

Let's NOT talk about weight in here!!! Drink a big yager for me tonight! We are in the 1st round of the Riverbend Euchre Tournament tonight!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Beth, I don't know you but it is now official ----- You are a closet european citizen!! I'm convinced!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(traveler @ Sep 26 2003, 09:54 AM)QUOTE(MONEYSHOT @ Sep 25 2003, 08:42 AM) My opinion may not be the popular opinion, but I am not happy about the change of this law. It penalizes social drinkers. By doing this, if I have 1 glass of wine I am legally drunk, due to my height and weight. The new law is not hurting the alcoholics that drink yager all night then drive, it hurts people like me who now won't be able to have 1 glass of wine while out with some friends.
Beth, I don't know you but it is now official ----- You are a closet european citizen!! I'm convinced!
Too Funny! Could be true...you just never know
I prefer to be called either a Dutch American or a Western European American.....

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
i can drink 4 beers in one hour and be .06
i usually drink 8 over the course of an evening... i think!

god knows i can kill a 12-18 pack on the boat!

·
Registered
670 Posts
QUOTE(rumpshaker @ Sep 26 2003, 10:09 AM)according to big trees chart ,,My fat a$$ can just about drink anything I want!!!!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(The Sweetest Thing @ Sep 25 2003, 06:38 AM)Because the new law meets the federal blood-alcohol content requirement, Michigan avoids losing thousands in federal highway funds.[/i]
This is why Granholm passed this law. Blame the Feds for pushing this through.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts