Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wed: 77/62 NNW @9mph Mostly sunny.

Thur: 76/66 N @5mph --> Calm Slight chance of showers after 11:00AM, otherwise mostly cloudy.

Fri: 76/61 Calm --> SSW @4-7mph Generally cloudy, with sunshine possible.

LSC Wind Forecast

Normal High: 81 Normal Low: 62
Record High: 96 (1955) Record Low: 49 (1951)

Sunrise: 6:26AM
Sunset: 8:45PM

August Lunar Tables

Current Barometer as of 11:55AM: 30.07" (1018.8 mb)

Water temperature at Belle Isle is 73 degrees.

Current LSC satellite image as of 12:22PM 8/4/2009:

Water Water resources Liquid Fluid Cloud

A look at what's ahead.

Perfect conditions today will give way to clouds, and a few isolated showers tomorrow, followed by some clearing and improving conditions once again for Friday. Major heat wave is on the way for the weekend into all of next week along with some potentially strong/severe storms with it. Enjoy the lovely conditions before the storms arrive!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Shep @ Aug 5 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats the best weather report this year.

Hey Storm, what made this summer one of the coldest on record? Is it just a cycle?

I'm sure many of you are wondering this as well, but no it's definitely not a cycle. I'll be writing up an article on this very topic later this evening and will release it for all of you tonight or tomorrow explaining in simple terms what's going on, and what's ahead for the next week or two.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
While I am no expert on this topic or anything, from my knowledge and research I have done over the past 13.5 years, here is a very simple to understand reason for the cold summer we've been having. This is a write-up I did earlier today for all of you, and so hopefully you all can understand it, and if not, go ahead and shoot me a PM or post in here, and I'll better explain. Enjoy!

Why the Cold Summer?

As many of you are quite aware, it's been a pretty cold summer! You're probably asking yourselves: "Where are the 80's and 90's? Where's the humidity? Where are the strong storms?" Well, as oddly as it sounds, we've been on the edge of all of these features. According to the National Weather Service (NWS), this has been one of the coldest Julys on record for many of us in the Midwest. That being said, let's get to the reasons why this happened.

A large upper Low over northern Ontario has been plaguing the area all summer long. Winds around a Low pressure flow "counter-clockwise", and so that means northwest winds, and cold air funneling down from the northern parts of Canada. To the south a strong High pressure is firmly locked in place, and the winds flow around a High in a "clockwise" fashion pumping warm moist Gulf air into the southern tier states, and plains states. With both of these features locked in place, it creates what's called a "blocking" pattern over the Midwest. In the west we have another High in the southwest with flow moving clockwise around it. The jet stream tends to follow these wind flow patterns, and so when we add the main branch of the jet stream on top of these features, what we get is an amplified (strong) ridging pattern in the west with a strong troughing pattern in the Midwest. By this I mean we have a dome of warm moist air over the west, and a dome of cool dry air in the east.

World Slope Organism Rectangle Font

From the diagram up above, you can see the 2 strong Lows and the strong High in the south I was talking about. In the southeast we see the strong High, with the clockwise wind flowing around it. To the west we see a strong Low with its counter-clockwise wind flowing around it. The purple wave is the jet stream dipping down. From this view, you can clearly see the "ridge", or "n" shape pattern with heat and humidity within it. To the east you can see the "trough" or "u" pattern with the cool, dry air within it. The pink arrows denote the upper level jet slicing through the area. The red arrow next to the High in the south shows its projected path in the coming month or so. The lighter blue arrows denote cold Canadian air filtering its way into the Midwest. So that explains why we had such a cold July, but what's ahead for August? Let's have a look.

Unfortunately August is still looking cooler than average, but don't worry! There's a very high likelihood we will finally see true summer like conditions starting as early as this weekend. As the above diagram shows, the High is moving to the northwest, which in turn will allow the ridge in the west to move our way, and bring along with it the heat and humidity. What does that mean for us here? That means expect a good week or so of upper 80's to mid 90's+ temperatures with much higher humidity building in with it. An impressively strong warm front will lift north of our area Friday night into Saturday bringing with it some stronger storms. Once this front clears us, we will be locked into the ridge, and the heat and humidity will begin to funnel in rapidly. Highs Sunday and Monday could push the mid-upper 90's with heat index values approaching, and/or surpassing the 100F+ mark. A cold front is then expected to plow through Monday bringing with it a weakening upper level storm system, and severe thunderstorms. While still a ways out, it's possible we could see some tornado development, and/or damaging wind storms that are long lived. By the end of next week, a powerful cold front will slice through the area bringing a high threat of strong/severe storms, and another batch of fairly cold Canadian air with it. This should only last a few days, before another moderating trend of warmer air fills back into the area.

With all of that being said, July will go down as Detroit's third coldest on record with an average monthly temperature of only 68.9F. The strong Low in Ontario prevented the ridge in the west from moving this way, but now that ridge will slowly be moving our way this weekend bringing with it the warm humid air. After the first cold front passes on Monday, the heat will stay locked into place for the remainder of next week, until a powerful cold front clears it out for a short while, only to be followed by another moderating trend. So summer hasn't really started "technically", but it will be very shortly, and with a big bang!

Here are a few links for more information on the cold summer, and the warming trend ahead:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsst...68&source=0

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsst...72&source=2

Attachments

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(Shep @ Aug 5 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats the best weather report this year.

Hey Storm, what made this summer one of the coldest on record? Is it just a cycle?

What's so great about calm water? It sux for fishing!

As far as the cooler summer it's called: el nino

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.