Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Casted the middle channel for muskie with spinner. Casted right up to shore from 50' out and brought lure over the channel edge. Put in about 4 hours + an hour in the sni didnt see anything, no hits. Monday morning I tried drifting harnesses from minnicks to the lake. Havent done that in years. Caught a 25" pike, had a goby on (didnt know it), and it hit the goby. It put up a great fight, thought I had a huge wally on. Got down to the yacht club and got another hit, set the hook and new it wasnt a walleye. After catching the pike, I was figuring muskie/big pike, got a big surprise when I got it to the top. Biggest cat I have ever caught 26-28". Cooked him on the grill that afternoon was very tasty. Also caught 6 gobies including a double header. Cant belive how many of them there are.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Nice kitty.

That's crazy about the goby...they sure would ge good to use for bait if you could get some...

There was a post on here about a week ago quoting someone from the DNR that studied the forage of fish from St. Clair. The overwhelming favourite of the fish seemed to be gobies.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I remember a few years back the DNR said those damned gobies had no natural predator in these waters. Good to hear that maybe the bigger fish here have developed an appetite for them finally. Could just be more chain-yanking by our DNR also. Either way, nice catfish, bet it was yummy.

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I havent fished with a crawler harness in years, so I dont know if that was typically. But to catch 6 gobies in and hour and a half, damn. U would think the walleye arent eating them if U can catch that many of them and there 3" long swimming on the bottom of the channel with the walleyes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.