Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
What about north channel? Going up to Algonac next week and was thinking of a different route other than the south channel.

G

·
I've got an old chart book from the early 80's here at work, but it shows the depths around Club Island to be 3 feet in the channel, and 2-4 feet in the small marina section with the 4 feet closer to the middle channel side. The Army Corps of Engineers are saying we are 15 inches over the chart datum level right now, so if the current charts show 3 feet there, you should be safe, 2 feet might be cutting it a little too close.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Came down North Channel last week. I draw about 3 ft. Had no problem. Good depth all the way just stay within the markers which get a little tight in some places.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Convincor253 @ May 16 2003, 07:46 AM)Between 19' and 30'.

Where might you be thinking about?
mouth. there's a spot that's pretty shallow out in the lake around 2nd or third set of buoys before you get into the deep water

·
Registered
419 Posts
what is the no wake rule in the middle channel? you know those signs on the south side of the channel? is it boats are over 24', it is a no wake zone?

G

·
I think Middle channel is no-wake for 27' and up. Strike that- Here's the law:

ST. CLAIR RIVER AND CONNECTED WATERS - R281.774.15 - Slow--no wake speed.

15. (1) On the waters of the St. Clair river, from its confluence with the Black river, downstream to Lake St. Clair, including its north channel, middle channel, the Chenal A Bout Rond (the Sni Bora), the south channel, Baltimore highway, Big Fisher highway, and Sears highway, it is unlawful for:

(a) The operator of a vessel less than 26 feet in length to exceed a slow--no wake speed when within 200 feet of any shore, dock, or pierhead, and within the jurisdictional boundaries of the state of Michigan.

(
The operator of a vessel 26 feet or more in length to exceed a slow--no wake speed when within 600 feet of any shore, dock, or pierhead, and within the jurisdictional boundaries of the state of Michigan.

(2) The provisions of this rule shall apply only to vessels used for recreational purposes.

What makes the Middle Channel no-wake for 26+ is that according to the chart, it's less than 1200' wide in a lot of places. It looks like it's maybe 700-800' wide at each end and outside of Browns. Everywhere else it's either less than 1200' or just barely over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Bill272 @ May 16 2003, 03:54 PM)ST. CLAIR RIVER AND CONNECTED WATERS - R281.774.15 - Slow--no wake speed.
Thanks Bill! that's pretty clear that it's no wake all the way to me then. Perfect for a ride for the old ladies on a sunny Sunday afternoon. I came through on Saturday and there was plenty of depth going out into the lake and big boats at Club Island.

G

·
I posted that because it's the law that covers the middle channel, but in reality, it's generally not followed and enforced that closely. A no-wake ride thru the entire channel would take forever and if it was strictly enforced, would probably shut Browns down. Whenever I head through there, I'll either stick to the middle or closer to the undeveloped side to minimize pi$$ing off the residents.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I gotta chart from the Anchor Bay Yachting Association and it shows that vessels under 26 ft must maintain 200ft from shore when above no-wake speeds, until you get up to almost to Strawberry island.

·
12,052 Posts
There are two sets of cottages on islands. THESE AREAS ARE FOR SURE NO WAKE - ENFORCED. First is before browns up the the fisher cut, second further up. As far as the depth I have seen 90' on my depth sounder in the past.

·
Registered
954 Posts
There are 2 no wake areas of the middle channel if you are 26 ft or over. If you are coming up stream from Lk. St. Clair the first one is just befor the cottages on the port side of your vessel just before Browns. There is a red can on the starboard side of you but if your not looking for it you will not see it, it out of the "NORMAL" traffic area. The last area being before the North Channel. This is mark with signs on the shore line, again it is where the cottages are on both signs. Even though sone areas are not 100 ft. wide you on have "land" on one side. Marsh areas are not land mass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts