Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Million Angler March

735 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  h2o 
#1 ·
okay, we have all been talking about this for a few monthes now. everyone has had great ideas. but only a few people are active in the "cant keep them off" campaign or whatever we are calling it.

would it be effective to have a large group of anglers march and picket in lansing? or would this make anglers look bad.

we want results, right? how many would be willing to set aside a morning/afternoon and drive to lansing and protest the closed season? i would. i would be there with bells on.
but would this accomplish anything?

i know it is a very touchy and controversial subject. and maybe the best way to handle it is to slowly push the rock up the hill by sending letters and speaking at meetings.

just an idea

madman himself

See less See more
#3 ·
Maybe the MDNR will pleasantly surprise us and we won't need to these kinds of things. I'm actually an optimist in disguise...

#5 ·
madman I think that's a great idea as a last resort, after all avenue's are exhausted i'll be there with you. It has to be organized and well done. Don't want just a few to show up. But i think we would have to let them know so venders can cater to us.Porta johns set up ect. It should not come to that but count me in big guy...

h2o<----says 2,000 to 4,000 strong would be great.

#6 ·
Well I have been saying this for a while now

I say we load the streets with our trucks towing the boats around the capital clogging up the streets with big signs on the boats telling them what we want.

This would quickly get the politicians attention and force them to take a look at our issue and when they see that this would stimulate the economy they might say "let's do this and if it fails then we blame the anglers" lol any way we get the change!

But this would take a large number of people to get involved, if we show up with less then a hundred vehicles we would look like a joke. I bet we could get the local retailers to help us promote this and find more people willing to participate. We might even want to inform anglers from Ohio, Indiana and Canada to get more body there. Even though they are from out of state the politicians won't know that.

#7 ·
Why do I keep thinking I'd end up stripped searched and in a dark cell somewhere being injected with the largemouth bass virus...

Doesn't mean I wouldn't do it if the need arose.

#8 ·
I learned from a knowledgable source, (professional lobbyist) that congressmen and women get very few letters and emails from their constituents. So few, that when they get 15 on a particular subject they consider it a mandate.

Perhaps a letter/email writing campaign would be in order. With the various contacts that some of you have in Bass clubs, and tournaments etc. it probably wouuld'nt be that hard to organize.

I can never remember who my reps are, but it is easily retireved on the internet.

#9 ·
A letter campaign is a good idea and I have asked Dan in another thread to compose a letter we can use as a draft sighting all the data on this issue. I also think it would be a good idea to inform each of or representatives that we plan to watch and see how they act and vote on this issue so we can vote for the politicians that support us. We could post that info here or on Dan's site allowing us to keep tabs on them.

Here is the web address you need to find witch representative you need to send your letter to. Type your zip code in and you can see the snail mail address or just click and send an email. I suggest we do both!

Find your state Rep

#10 ·
I will work on a letter over the next few days. A letter is a powerful thing to a government official. Short letters written in hand show them a voter is really interested in the topic. Letters that sound like they're in the voter's own words also have about the same impact.

Form letters can be good and bad. What I always suggest is to copy the form letter and add a few things or take out a few things; put your own thoughts at the beginning and end and then sign it. That way they every letter they get is somewhat different. That' impact.

I still want to see the first proposal from the MDNR before I do too much writing. I don't know at this time how much or little writing is necessary. I TRULY appreciate all of your enthusiasm and interest. Thank yourselves for being involved.

#11 ·
Atta boy Captain, we all appreciate all your doing more than you know.

h2o<----you da man!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.