Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We made a fmily trip on the boat last night to Starwberry. On the way back Mini P-29 was steering the boat (with Kevin behind him of course) and when we reached a channel he got very frustrated because he had to dodge a couple of boats that were sitting in the middle of the channel.

What Mini P-29 wants to know is why people sit in the middle of the "boat driving lane"??

Does anyone have a good answer??

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Were they fishing? I ran into that prob going up the N channel a couple of weeks ago. As a fisherman myself I know why they are on the outside of the channel. But they were giving me dirty looks because I dared to pilot my boat in a marked channel. I just smiled and waved.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I see fishemen/fisherwomen doing that all the time. Very frustrating, but legal.
Just like people doing 55mph in the fast-lane! Hell, it's probably the same guy!
The most aggravating part is; they look at you like your the a_hole! Just like the putz in the fast lane!

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Glad im not the only one who has gotten dirty looks,I thought it was my choice in fashion that day
what you gonna do, everyone should show a little more love if you ask me.

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
The fishing is good in the channels because of the differance in bottom structure IE deeper water and drop offs along the channel. Fish are attracted to these areas. When you are fishing there however you should expect boat traffic and allow boaters to navigate like they are supposed to. In addition expect to get rocked by boat wakes. If I am approaching a boat that is trolling I believe that I have to follow the rules governing overtaking a boat. I am not sure if the 100 ft rule applies in a marked channel, most of the time there is ample room. What ticks me off is when I get dirty looks
Oh well we all have to share this precious resource.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Sarah, you said that they were "sitting" in the middle channel. Did you mean that they were drifting, trooling, or anchored.

Drifting and anchored in a marked channel is illegal, unless of course you are drifting on accident. If they were trolling, I think they are supposed to follow the rules of any other boat under power.

Me personally, I would have ran as close as possible to them while going as slow as my boat would still be on plane. I have not yet installed the razor carbide cutting edge on the front of my boat to ram them yet, but in a perfect world..........

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that they were drifting all I saw were guys with fishing poles in two boats. To be honest, I am so used to fisherman being in the channel I really don't notice anymore. I really don't care if they are there or not, I am just afraid they will get hurt. I really don't know how they can stand up on a boat that looks so flat without falling off.

I just thought that it was funny that Mini P-29 got so aggravated with the situation.

Hazy... no need to get hostile, it is a big enough like for everyone!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Hazy I work at a machine shop and have acess to carbide and grinders we could make that attachement for you.
maybe even sell it through Overtons or something.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(MrsP-29fun police @ Aug 1 2003, 02:10 PM)I think that they were drifting all I saw were guys with fishing poles in two boats. To be honest, I am so used to fisherman being in the channel I really don't notice anymore. I really don't care if they are there or not, I am just afraid they will get hurt. I really don't know how they can stand up on a boat that looks so flat without falling off.

I just thought that it was funny that Mini P-29 got so aggravated with the situation.

Hazy... no need to get hostile, it is a big enough like for everyone!!

no, well, no more than the norm, hostility. I was just playing. Although Fatcat, I might take you up on that offer.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
OK WHERE IS HAMMER?

Kepping in his tradition for him.....
his response to the fisherman in the channel would be....

S P R E A D O U T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(fatcat660 @ Aug 1 2003, 01:35 PM)The fishing is good in the channels because of the differance in bottom structure IE deeper water and drop offs along the channel. Fish are attracted to these areas. When you are fishing there however you should expect boat traffic and allow boaters to navigate like they are supposed to. In addition expect to get rocked by boat wakes. If I am approaching a boat that is trolling I believe that I have to follow the rules governing overtaking a boat. I am not sure if the 100 ft rule applies in a marked channel, most of the time there is ample room. What ticks me off is when I get dirty looks
Oh well we all have to share this precious resource.

I ALWAYS show my return courtesy in MY 41' boat, by slowing to JUST BELOW PLANING SPEED while passing. Thereby, not jeopordizing their fishing experience w/my LOUD MOTORS ROARING BY!!!!
HONESTLY!! On ANY busy weekend, in a channel w/boats coming & going 2-3 abreast, how can ANYONE sit right in everyone's way drinkin' a beer & dippin' his pole??
Once I stop LAUGHING MY A$$ off watching them recover . . . I think "poor guy must've been neglected as a child to need THAT MUCH ATTENTION!?"

Hey, but that's just me . . . and 99.9% of the other boaters!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
So if there is a boat drifting in the channel and they are not in your yield area (9:00 to 12:00), can you just hit em???
Ha ha, just kidding, but a good question I think.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
Whether they are there legally or not, you are responsible for your boat wake!

The worst is the mouth of the N. Ch.....There will be several fishing boats anchored right in the middle of the ch. and there will be 6-7 cruisers trying to get through at the same time. Wht a pain.......Why would you want to beat yourself up like that???

·
Registered
585 Posts
OK...can we turn the tables here?!

We have taken our kids out fishing (drifting) in the middle of the lake...no one around us...and sure enough here comes a boat on plane heading right towards us...comes within 100 ft of us!! WTF?? Its a HUGE lake..why do they have to come so close...and its not like we are in a small boat either...a 28 ft.

They dont like it very well when I flip them off....

·
Registered
187 Posts
What gets me is the bigger boats thinking they own the lake. Question who died and left you king/queen. I'm a fisherman and I fish in the channels. I try and stay as close to the edge/weeds as possible, thats where the fish are. Why do people have to come with in 10-20" of me. Do you want to see what I caught? Its a big channel. I don't want to see your boat. It might be nice, but I don't care. Why don't you go show your boat off to a freighter. You don't get dirty looks from me, but you do get a chance to see my casting ability as I take a cast or two at your head. Hopefully I'll catch your outdrive. Line is cheap, outdrives aren't. As they say the bigger the boat the smaller the Johnson motor...

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
I stay as far away as I can from the fishermen, I fish myself but I like to follow the marked channel and stay in it. With the lower lake levels I do not want to find a sand bar with my outdrives. I will avoid getting close to the fisher men but I wont be forced out of the channel.

·
Registered
187 Posts
As with most fisherman. We fish edges of the channel. If you want to go between us and the shore your going to get beached. There is the rest of the channel for you. There is no need to come that close to us. The only direction I want you to go is out to the deeper water. Stay away!. We just want to be left alone by the edges, drop offs, weedbeds and sand bars. You have the rest of the lake. I've had boat try to swamp me as I trolled the weedline. He decided to go on the inside. Needless to say he hit a sandbar. I'm sure that's my fault.... I laughed and pulled away. Normally I would help anybody that has a problem, but not that time. I hope it ruined his gel coat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts