MINIMUM ICE THICKNESS

987 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  vyndrup 
#1 ·
2" or less STAY OFF!!!

4 inches ICE FISHING

5 inches Snowmobile or ATV

8-12 inches Car or small Pickup

12-15 inches Medium truck

If you don't drive on the ice you have no worries mate.

h2o<----says its hard to evaluate even ice thickness, so walk.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've always heard when a vehicle goes through the ice, most insurance companies won't cover the damage.
Walk instead, the exercise will do you good.

#4 ·
I agree guys. Walk!!!!! I don't care what the thickness is and what it SHOULD hold. I had a vehicle break through a little creek up north while screwing around one night. That ice was all of 10" thick, and had been cold up there for awhile, so there were no recent freeze/thaw cycles, and there is very little current, no more than in a lake. There must have been a crack or weak spot. To make matters worse, the spot that was 18" deep the previous summer was now almost 4', due the property owner dredging it to keep atvs out. So although ice may be thick, you never know where there may be a crack or weak spot. Expect the unexpected, and be safe!!

#6 ·
That's been a issue for awhile. I think the rules will change as time goes on. I heard the rescue cost $13,000. Taxpayers flip that bill.

After all opinions, are said. It's just grand no one was injured.

h2o<---says example's like this might wake someone up!!!!

#7 ·
As a former insurance person... any time your vehicle leavs the road, there is no insurance coverage.

In response to why the rescuees weren't charged.. I thought I read that they Coast Guard will rescue you once for free but they charge you the second time.

Get some spikes for you boots and walk out or purchase a 4 wheeler. It makes me nervous every time I'm in the shanty and I hear a car/truck drive anywhere near me.

How is the LSC ice? I'm going to fish Whitmore Lake tomorrow. Does anyone know of a good place to buy bait near Whitmore Lake?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.