Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new trolling motor, a bow mount and I'm looking at a minnkota. I have only owned motorguides to this point and wanted to know how they have treated you as far reliability and service when they do break down. Thanks for any advice, Matt

·
Registered
397 Posts
The Minkota Maxxum is the best motor out there IMHO. I like the extra wide foot pedal because I can take my foot off the thrust switch yet maintain my balance with my foot up on the pedal.

Some of the Minkota's are getting a little hi-tech for my liking. Auto deploy, remote steering etc... Just one more thing that can break.

I was fishing a tournament as a non-boater on Lake Champlain and the guy had a Minkota Genesis (Automatic deploy). We were running about 50mph and hit a boat wake and the motor started to deploy and lower itself into the water. If you have never done 50mph with a $900 TM in the water, let me tell you, it aint pretty.

Keep it simple!!! Basic foot pedal controls, mechanical steering and bend over to pull up the motor (it's good for your abs). The Maxxum is a great motor.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Call D&R and ask Miles or Ken how many Motorguides they get back for repairs vs. MinnKota!

Go with a standard Minn Kota Maxxum 74 or 101. Don't worry about the fancy stuff (power up, etc.. the Genesis is discontinued for obvious reasons stated by East Coast!) The universal sonar capability is nice though--its available on all Maxxums.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Every brand of everything has had its share of problems. Motorguide did have a couple of years in which the boards were frying and it would only work on high bypass. It did require a repair but it was very quick and easy. D and R did repair alot more motorguides than Minn Kotas and one simple reason is we sell alot more motorguides. If we never sold any we wouldnt get any back for repair. The Minn Kotas have had their share of problems also. Go with what u are comfortable with. If u have used mg's in the past and liked them stay with them. I think u might have a hard time switching to the mk foot pedal. Plus nobody makes a mount like mg.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I agree with you JCOOPER....although I am thinking of switching too. I have too many MG's now.

Marke that happened to me on Clair before.....except it wasnt an auto deploy, it was one of the first AutoPilot motors that came out. As far as I know, its still on the bottom of the lake.

Mini

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have had both motors, and haven'thad issues with either. Currently have the MinnKota 101 and really like it. The only issue that I have had was getting used to the foot peddle. The switch is on the other side. I really do like how the MinKota has a tension adjustment so you can set the feel to what you like.

·
Formerly "FRL"
930 Posts
I have fished with both for many years, and I prefer MinnKota's. The main reason being is I do alot of "trash" fishing or fishing in heavy weeds. If you fish in alotta weeds you are not gonna be happy with a motorguide. Motorguide is terrialbe in weeds, and MinnKota is at least 10 times better in weeds. There is no comparison. If you do any weed/"trash" fishing at all your gonna want the MotorGuide. I had alota buddies that swore by there MotorGuide trolling motor stating they are quiter and smoother after 1 day of fishing with me in heavy weeds they all changed their minds, all my friends have converted over.

The opinion of a "trash" fisherman.

·
Registered
666 Posts
That is very true with the MinnKotas and weeds. But try and lift the motor with them. I would bet that I have had 40 pounds of weeds on the motor and was still moving right along.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i like my MK maxxum a ton. i used to have a motorguide and had no probs other than what everyone else has said. you cant fish in veggies with the motorguides like you can a minn kota.

besides, minn kota just sounds cooler. and isnt that what really matters?!?! say it a few times. M I N N K O T A.

madman himself

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've owned three motoguides and 3 minnkotas. Fewer problems with the Minns. The motorguide service I got was awful. At one time our local service shop in Ohio would not service warranty because Moto was behind on payment. That was mid 90's.

On the other hand, I've had great service, although rarely needed, for my Minnk's. Moto makes a great bracket, but if you use a bounce buster....that is a wash between the two. I've found the minn to be better in weeds as others stated. I've also found that huge prop on the minn to be better holding without cavitation on open water.
I know Moto has the new digital system, but right now, if I was buying new, I'd get the MinnK without a second thought.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks it all sounds great, the only problem I see is getting used to the foot control and that nothing considering what you have to deal with when using a motorguide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts