Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a fish tank so i can put minnows in it and i was wonder if it would keep the minnnows alive or not. If it will what do i need to keep them alive. like water temperature, what kind of wate.... Has anyone done this? thanks if you can help

·
Registered
697 Posts
im sure they would live, ive had minnows live for over a week in my tiny minnow bucket. i would keep the water cool if you can. make sure you distill the water(let it sit out for a couple days) before you put fish in it

·
Registered
242 Posts
QUOTE(oneida bows123 @ Mar 7 2010, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am thinking about getting a fish tank so i can put minnows in it and i was wonder if it would keep the minnnows alive or not. If it will what do i need to keep them alive. like water temperature, what kind of wate.... Has anyone done this? thanks if you can help

I don't know what the DNR would say when you are fishing with minnows you are suppose to have a proof of purchase (register reciept) for the minnows because they want to make sure its a state license bait dealer and the minnows are disease free.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I keep my receipt. I've kept minnows alive for 2 weeks using a large styrofoam packing cooler and a cheap aerator. I've even feed them fish flakes. Then it would come down to the officer if he believed that they were the same minnows if you were checked. I don't do this because I really need to save money, but there's not a convenient bait store near me or on the way if I want fish local ponds or lakes.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
if you want to keep them alive in an aquarium, you need to match the temperature, ph, amonia, nitrates and nitrites of the original water in which they were living, otherwise, they're toast. I tried that one time, they were all dead within 2 days in my aquarium. And no, they didnt get eaten by my smaller fish.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Using an aquarium is a great way to keep them alive. I have many large fish tanks that were salt water and got a giant one and have used one of my 50 gallon ones to store my minnows, chubs, golden shinners and stuff. Worked great when the ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, water temps were matched. I did try to use a power head, bad ideal, minnows were getting sucked to the bottom of it, oops. They did stay alive for 3 weeks til we used them. It does work in my expensive tank so I would assume it would in a smaller less expensive tank just need proper filters and aerator. With the filter I used, I had a section blocked off so minnows did not get sucked to the filter. Was my refugium tank so was built like that when I made it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great question - been on my mind all season.
Did it for the first time this year.
Got tired of buying "2 dozen" and dumping them on the ice for seagulls.
Very simple aerator keeps the majority alive for 3 weeks in 5 gal tank.
Beyond that, couldn't provide the nutrients to keep them going.
Water conditions measured to simulate small ammount of bait water.
Ideal food?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Gotta be careful with this. Your receipt is only good for 14 days.

I do the same thing though, in the winter i just keep them in my bucket and run an aerator, in the summer, i have a ten gallon tank. Lets me buy minnows in advance for fishing at places like stoney. Just make sure you dont transfer them to water that has more than a 5 degree difference, otherwise you will kill them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.