Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to Lex. this last weekend, I bought some minnows. 4 freakin dollars for a dozen, but didn't know if the store in Lexington Hgts. was open. Now they are in a fish tank in the basement doing just fine. Still have the receit. Are the minnows legal to fish with through-out the season? Cause with my luck, it looks like they might make it that long. Is there an exp. on the receit?

·
Registered
242 Posts
QUOTE(rivrat @ Jan 5 2010, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On my way to Lex. this last weekend, I bought some minnows. 4 freakin dollars for a dozen, but didn't know if the store in Lexington Hgts. was open. Now they are in a fish tank in the basement doing just fine. Still have the receit. Are the minnows legal to fish with through-out the season? Cause with my luck, it looks like they might make it that long. Is there an exp. on the receit?

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/full...ds_272056_7.pdf

·
Registered
242 Posts
QUOTE(the tank @ Jan 5 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(rivrat @ Jan 5 2010, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On my way to Lex. this last weekend, I bought some minnows. 4 freakin dollars for a dozen, but didn't know if the store in Lexington Hgts. was open. Now they are in a fish tank in the basement doing just fine. Still have the receit. Are the minnows legal to fish with through-out the season? Cause with my luck, it looks like they might make it that long. Is there an exp. on the receit?

on the link go to pg 13 and read rule 3 in general provisions

·
Registered
731 Posts
QUOTE(rivrat @ Jan 5 2010, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On my way to Lex. this last weekend, I bought some minnows. 4 freakin dollars for a dozen, but didn't know if the store in Lexington Hgts. was open. Now they are in a fish tank in the basement doing just fine. Still have the receit. Are the minnows legal to fish with through-out the season? Cause with my luck, it looks like they might make it that long. Is there an exp. on the receit?

CERTIFIED MINNOW RECEIPT IS GOOD FOR 14 DAYS.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(the tank @ Jan 5 2010, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(the tank @ Jan 5 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(rivrat @ Jan 5 2010, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>On my way to Lex. this last weekend, I bought some minnows. 4 freakin dollars for a dozen, but didn't know if the store in Lexington Hgts. was open. Now they are in a fish tank in the basement doing just fine. Still have the receit. Are the minnows legal to fish with through-out the season? Cause with my luck, it looks like they might make it that long. Is there an exp. on the receit?

on the link go to pg 13 and read rule 3 in general provisions

Thanks!!!! 14 days is the answer.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
OK, here we go...First, yes you can fish with them, you can use them for bait year round. Last year I had a loooong discusion with a DNR officer on the very subject of certified minnows and here's what he told me. If you're fishing "Hot" waters (waters already known to be infected with VHSV-Viral Hemorrhagic Septcemia Virus) you're not going to have a problem or even be bothered for that matter, I would keep that reciept on hand just in case you're asked, but if you're fishing some inland lake that's not infected, you'd better have that reciept,it's only good for 14 days though. I discussed this matter thoroughly with the officer and explained to him that I along with my brithers maintain a tank at home and when I buy minnows I take any laeft over minnows home and keep them alive in this tank and there's been many times in the past when I have had minnows for a month or more. I may buy another dozen when running low and those get mixed in and they're all mixed up together, so what's the difference? He said, once again, if you're fishing "hot" waters it's not an issue. Lake St. Clair has been infected for years now, along with Lake Huron, so it's not an issue here, but if you go fishing on some inland lake, as stated before, you'd better have a valid (less than 14 days old) reciept for those certified minnows. Then again, ALL minnows sold here in Michigan have to be certified VHSV Free anyway so you're going to have certified minnows anyway, just keep that reciept, just in case you're asked for it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Jan 5 2010, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>OK, here we go...First, yes you can fish with them, you can use them for bait year round. Last year I had a loooong discusion with a DNR officer on the very subject of certified minnows and here's what he told me. If you're fishing "Hot" waters (waters already known to be infected with VHSV-Viral Hemorrhagic Septcemia Virus) you're not going to have a problem or even be bothered for that matter, I would keep that reciept on hand just in case you're asked, but if you're fishing some inland lake that's not infected, you'd better have that reciept,it's only good for 14 days though. I discussed this matter thoroughly with the officer and explained to him that I along with my brithers maintain a tank at home and when I buy minnows I take any laeft over minnows home and keep them alive in this tank and there's been many times in the past when I have had minnows for a month or more. I may buy another dozen when running low and those get mixed in and they're all mixed up together, so what's the difference? He said, once again, if you're fishing "hot" waters it's not an issue. Lake St. Clair has been infected for years now, along with Lake Huron, so it's not an issue here, but if you go fishing on some inland lake, as stated before, you'd better have a valid (less than 14 days old) reciept for those certified minnows. Then again, ALL minnows sold here in Michigan have to be certified VHSV Free anyway so you're going to have certified minnows anyway, just keep that reciept, just in case you're asked for it.

Thanks! I was wondering how that was going to work. I'm an avid reef keeper and minnows are easy to keep alive compaired to most fish. Next lies the question of buying wax worms or mousies on the internet in bulk. It's a live bait. Same rules apply? No need for a receit when using worms. Larva however may be treated the same as minnows. Or maybee waxies can't get the VHSV! Unsure here. Perhaps I don't need to worry since I only fish the Great Lake system and rerely fish an inland lake. If I go there I'll have receit in hand.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I've never heard of needing a receipt for bait like waxworms etc... unless you're fishing in Canada. If you need one here in Michigan then I'm a habitual offender.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Jan 5 2010, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've never heard of needing a receipt for bait like waxworms etc... unless you're fishing in Canada. If you need one here in Michigan then I'm a habitual offender.

Is it live bait?

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
The rule isn't for live bait. It is for BAIT FISH only. Live bait don't have the rules like minnows do.

·
Sponsor Since 02-09
290 Posts
Your reciept is good for 14 days if the bait is certified positive or non-positive. If it is NOT certified your reciept is good for 3 days. Certified being that it states whether the bait is FROM positive or non positive VHS diseased waters not that they have or not have VHS disease.

This statement is not true "Then again, ALL minnows sold here in Michigan have to be certified VHSV Free anyway so you're going to have certified minnows anyway, just keep that reciept, just in case you're asked for it. "
All minnows from huron and lk stclair (positive waters) would be considered positive even though certified and not allowed to use in non-positive waters only in positive waters. So you can use certified non-positive minnows anywhere, certified positive minnows only in positive waters and non certifed minnows in positive waters. make sense????? But yes carry your reciept!

FYI: your not allowed to take ANY LIVE minnows to canada.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.