Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my theory about where the weeds, which were much more prevalent a few years ago, have gone in certain parts of the lake....When the dreaded zebra mussels first came to St.Clair, the water cleared up and the sun penetrated deeper. The nutrients that were locked up in the bottom substrate for years, finally were released and the weeds grew a lot thicker and deeper, all over the place. There were spots on the south shore that turned into slop where largemouth would smash a buzzbait. The mile roads were really thick too. Most of us remember that well. Now the areas that still have weeds typically have no current......Now for the big theory......In a typical natrural lake, the weeds die and sink back to the bottom where they are re-absorbed back into the bottom until next spring when they are again utilized. On St.Clair however, most of the weeds die and break off and float on down the river, never giving those nutrients a chance to once again become part of the bottom in that spot. Maybe a large majority of those specific nutrients are now gone????What do you think?

·
Registered
263 Posts
i think that the amount of weeds that float down the river is insignificant. if that was the case, we would get just as many weeds floating down from lake huron that would give lsc the nutrients. this was a cold spring and the weeds were slow growing this spring and that is why i think there are less weeds this year, in every inland lake too. Places i fished in inland lakes last year that were totally covered in weeds were just spotty weeds this year making fishing there much worse. anyways, that is my two cents. Derrek

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Also Carp gorge themself's on weeds. snails chew them also. Plus look how many weeds we catch when we fish. lol on the last thought. There are alot of weed beds still you just have to know where there at.

h2o

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah but the areas I am talking about haven't had weeds for several years now where it used to be really thick.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
There is documentation of the milfoil - WEEVIL insect causing a decline in some lakes...

h2o

·
Registered
4 Posts
DRP, The last number of spring seasons have had strong winds on the South shore that could have kept the water clarity poor during the early growing season for the weeds. The first substantial weeds I saw were in 14 feet of water this year, where the clarity was usually better than in close. Just a possibility.
Also, how did you do today? I saw that you were out. Was it work or fun?

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
My theory

late spring = lower water temps = less weed

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I think it is because of secret night-time weed spraying of millions of litres of poison by evil marina owners in conjunction with Canadian Metric System and social medicine-pushing boater Terrorists (usually disguised as normal - well as normal as Canucks can be - people during the day, like fishing guides for example)...

or something similar to that...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fun? What's that? It's hard work!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
In most respects I agree with Alex. I have fished this lake for as many years as most and you get periods where they decline and then they come back. It is just Mother Nature at work. Bob

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jon the weeds are still there in some places just not very high.Some area's like the golf course though I don't see much weed cover at all.I think that is due to low water conditions.Still have to see that trolling motor.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I think its the amount of ice coverage. A few of my fav cabbage beds are gone that used to be in shallow water. The water was frozen to the bottome last winter in these areas. When it thawed (or broke up) it took the weeds with it....

My .02

Mini

·
Registered
94 Posts
djk: watch it! there are at least 2 "normal" Canucks on this network...drp and I...probably a few more. LOL (But then, "normal" is very subjective, don't you think?)
Keep that top 30 working in the BFL. Good luck.

Tim J.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts